Topic

Aspen Meadow Trip February 13-14, 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Aspen Meadow Trip February 13-14, 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

A group of BPL members got together last weekend for a snowshoe overnighter to Aspen Meadow near Pinecrest. The roster included me, David, Jeremy, Morgan, Jack, Kat, Josh and Ocean. We met at Dave's place in MoTown on Saturday morning and headed up to the trailhead near Dodge Ridge Ski Area.

We ate lunch at the trailhead and finally got started about noon. Our destination was 2.5 miles out along a mostly uphill snow-covered Forest Service road. While there were a few people around at the trailhead, we didn't get too far before we found ourselves all alone.

We ended up walking to a clearing just past Aspen Meadow and set up camp. This was the first time snow camping for a number of us, myself included. There is quite a bit of extra work involved (prepping a shelter spot, constantly melting snow, etc.); so we got busy!

First things first, we all set up our accommodations. As usual, there were quite a variety of shelters. Morgan had a palatial 10×10 Oware pyramid tarp, Josh brought a hammock, there were several varieties of tarptents and I had a make-shift fly-and-footprint-only REI rig.

After we set up our shelters, Jeremy suggested we build a group kitchen, so we did that too. Very cool (pardon the pun). After that, it was melting snow, eating and drinking from there on out.

In the morning, we ate breakfast and hung out for a while. Half our group decided to stay over Sunday night, so the rest of us packed up and headed out.

Snow camping was a great experience. The scenery is beautiful and there are no bugs, no people, no heat, no dust. Sure, it's a little cold, but that's manageable. I look forward to many more snow trips in the future.

I don't have any photos, anyone care to add any?

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Here's a few pics from our weekend:

father and son

Father and son: Josh and Ocean looking like family before their snowball fight.

Kat

Kat gettin her groove on in snowshoes.

The trail

The hike in.

Aspen Meadow

Our original destination: Aspen Meadow. We camped in a clearing a little past here.

camp kitchen

Morgan and Ocean in the luxurious camp kitchen.

DuoMid

My first attempt with Cameron's DuoMid.

I had a great time everyone. Definitely want to get out again in the snow soon.

Jeremy.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

What camaraderie! This looks like a good time! :)

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Great report. I especially like the pitch on the duomid. Looks like you had a great time.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

David

Jeremy enjoying the leisurely hike

Ocean offering Kat a snowball before battling dad in a snow fight.

We arrived in camp in mid afternoon and began to set up our shelters.

Morgan setting up his winter palace with room for three Czars comfortably. St. Petersburg has nothing on this place, which is fit for BPL royalty.

12 Jack successfully pitching his new tarptent

David L. putting the finishing touches on his tent.

Jeremy finishing putting up his MLD shelter which he borrowed from Cameron. Ocean enjoyed the only real 4 season tent.

91 Josh's hammock and tent. It must be nice to be off the snow at night!

Jack, Kat and Josh enjoying the snow table complete with seats.

87 Josh on his snow bench car seat and countless down jackets on. He must have been warm.

86 Morgan and Ocean in his snow recliner, Complete with arm rests and beer holder.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

We had a great time. Great group of people.Katharina in the snow
    Katharina in the snow.fire in snow
    Fire in the snow
    Katharina and Morgan dug down to bare ground and made a fire the second night.Morgan
    Morgan mountain man.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

OK I finally got some time to post, I just wanted to thank everyone for a great time, and car pooling, snow camping what a blast !!! Here is Morgan and Jeremy at David W. apartment getting ready to take off. I don't think we could have gotten any more stuff in the back of Kat's car, poor thing. D.W. HOUSE I think everyone has this pic, what a great father and son trip. I really enjoyed you guys. My daughter was looking at the pics and was wondering who every body was and when I told her about Josh and Ocean. She said what a cool name, I agree, then she asked why I didn't name her that, I guess I just didn't have the cool foresight at the time any how you guys rock!! Josh,Ocean Hiking in snow Sunny skies AHHHH Deciding on a spot Looking The Moment has arrived moment Morgans palace Oware Jeremys mini palace Digging Oceans fortress Hilleberg Trader Joes thats enough food for an army, or just Josh and Ocean.Food The Kat den do not enter. B.A. David L mini mini set up still a lot of room. REI The mysterious blue wall. Blue Nope just Josh's hammock very cool. Hammock Hammock Ocean in his snow recliner and food sack. Chair Everyone at the kitchen/dinning table and Kat making fine adjustments with a shovel. Eating Josh in his HUGE snow seat surrounded by his gormet food and cooking skills. WOW !! Morgan with the mountain man/scary red eye look this was a lot better in person thanks for the laughs. What the !!! Headed back to the trail head. Trail Well there it is. I really had a good time with everyone, wish I could make the next one, but I already made plans to go fishing in Bishop in the trout derby. Everyone be safe and untill the next hike see you there. Jack

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jack,

Thanks for putting up the photos of the trip.

Looks like you had some amazingly good weather for your trip.

Nice kitchen setup there with plenty of room for people to kick back at.

Hopefully, I can make one of the snow trips in the future or next year.

-Tony

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools