Topic

GoLite ION

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals GoLite ION

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

ion

Hermit's Hut (yes they still have them)Sale Price: $40.96, Size: Small, Color: Green

http://www.hermitshut.com/goliteion.html

Marek Janda

@nyxatko

some more Ions here
    http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/golite_2009_ion_25_litre_multisport_pack.html

got one in red/L last week and they told me they bought some from the last batch made, so they should still have some.

shipping within europe was very low (compared to what I'm used to pay in UK shops), not sure about shipping to US.

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

They say that they cannot ship to the US. :[

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Roger

I just ordered one for my son to use. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Arr:

If you create a post — say on the G Spot — I'm sure any number of our European hikers will be glad to help you.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Are these smalls, lady sized?

This might get me out of a MYOG project I've been putting off.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Javan, the ion is unisex. A small is for 15.5 to 17.5" torsos. But because there isn't a true waistbelt that sits on the user's hips, torso length isn't really determinative of fit. Lots of fudge room for these packs

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

that clarifies things, thanks again Konrad!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I hear a lot of people say the hipbelt doesn't do anything for them on an Ion. Personally I like it for two reasons. First it keeps the pack from shifting around. Second when I pack it right it does take some of the load off my shoulders. Personally I would at least try to get one that fits but if you don't care about the hipbelt no worries. I love my Ion. If you want to increase its capacity heres a simple trick. Sew two straps onto the top of the lid. If you can't fit everything inside put your raingear or whatever in a stuff sack and strap it on top.

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

how much do these hold? I am looking for a small backpack for my son who is 8. I need something to hold 15lbs or so , clothes, bag, etc.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Matt if you want a lightweight kid pack I think the Ion might be a good choice. As far as volume I think its around 1500 cubic inches although as I mentioned above you can modify it. For me it holds a SUL summer kit and about two days of food. When I took a little brother's friend out I let him carry it. We stuffed his clothes, a 20 degree down sleeping bag, and his waterbottles in, I carried everything else. I've hauled up to around 15 pounds in it and been fine but for a little kid I'd aim for no more than 10 just because its a minimalistic pack. Have fun taking the little guy out!

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

I was just going threw golites site and looking for a pack for him. I wish there was a few outer compartments on it. I contacted golite to see what they recommend for a 8year old. We will see I am having a hard time finding lightweight packs for him they just don't say " kids" on them. I had my eye on the oprey jib but it comes in at 3lbs 3oz. hmmmm.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Matt I totally agree the Ion would have been much nicer with a few pockets. There were a couple of threads here about adding pockets to Ions if you're interested in that. You could also add pouches on the hipbelt. The only other pack I know of that is this light for kids would be the MLD Burn or Prophet. Actually the REI Flash 30 might work too. I tried one on and for some reason didn't like the fit but you never know.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

nm – the Osprey stuff was already mentioned…

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Just got a reply back from golite and they state they don't make packs for kids and didn't go futher then that . What a disappointment. I was hoping for a few suggestions to look into. What is MLD? I haven't heard of them before. I will check into the flash series. If we get to camp and empty his bag there I wanted to use his pack as a daypack from camp.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Well, Hermit's Hut just pulled the hat trick ala Moosejaw.

I placed an order on the 16th when this post came up for an Ion, and my order was accepted and payment taken and I get a call today saying GoLite does not make these anymore and they don't have any. So they are refunding my money after holding it for two weeks.

Do these companies not get how damaging it is to their reputation when they accept an order and then can't fulfill it? And why did it take so long to notify me?

Greg

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

If any member is having trouble getting an Ion shipped from the UK to the US, i'm willing to help out if i can.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I live in Knoxville, TN. I was in River Sports Outfitters eariler in the week. They had two mediums in stock.
    Their phone number is 865-523-0066.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

I would caution anyone doing business with this company. I still have not recieved my money back after they flubbed my order. Numerous calls to them, and they always say they will call me back but they never do.

Avoid them like the plague.

gl

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greg

Sorry about your situation. I've had good experience dealing with Hermits Hut (purchased 3 Western Mountaineering Bags at different times) without incident there customer service people were helpful and merchandise was delivered in a timely manner

Roger

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Thanks Roger,

Maybe I am just the odd one out.

I am sure I will get my money back, but they don't seem to take it seriously.

It's just a matter of principle to me that if you make a mistake, you do whatever it takes to correct it right away. The answer- it's in accounting, is simply not good enough. At least call me back when you say you will.

Greg

Anonymous
    Inactive

You have to look at it like this they’re in the business to make money not tick off customers… where’s the profit in that?

Hope things get straightened out soon

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

From reports I decided to hold off from buying from them .The REI flash looks about the same size and has a water port so this might work for the little guy as a ultralight pack. :-)

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Greg,

You might like to check out some of the Vaude packs.

Look at the Rock Ultralight Comfort 25. 25 litres, 1lb (450g) Top opening with a cover, not a zip, compression cords, a lid pocket and two side mesh pockets. It has a rigid,removable back panel.

The Ultra Hiker 30 is just a little heavier, 650g, but bigger 30litres, with a trampoline back,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools