Topic

Vancouver 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Anyone else watching the olympic coverage and all these shots of BC?

This is bad. Now I want to plan a trip.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nope. Haven't had an interest in/watched the Olympics for quite some time now.

But Vancouver is another story. I'd love to backpack up there!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My folks live in BC and there are good reasons why this city keeps getting rated as one of the most livable cities in the world. Vibrant urban center aside, its surroundings are top notch for nature lovers as well. Makes Seattle look positively shabby IMO (one of my brothers lives there).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I also have a brother who lives in Seattle. Probably adds to its shabbiness…..

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yup, lots of good hiking up here :)

It's great how varied the terrain is. Vancouver Island is so lush with huge trees, cliffs, waterfalls etc and then just North of Vancouver you've got some awesome parks (ie. Garbaldi) with classic epic BC terrain and then a couple hours further North (ie. Stein Valley) you get into more rugged and drier terrain. It's all awesome.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I've skied Whistler-Blackcomb and, brother, every North American who skis MUST make a hajj to that place once in their life. It is mandatory. It was the most outstanding skiing I've ever experienced.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah it's a lot of fun. This season has been great too. The annual average snowfall is 403" and we're at 420" already with over 2 months to go. That's Whistler in my profile pic.

One of my favourite things about WB is how accessible the backcountry is. Regardless of how crazy the crowds get on weekends, you're never more than a 30 minute hike away from an amazing run in bottomless pow. Tomorrow will be day 55 for me this season :)

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

From Canada myself but from the East. Been to Vancouver many times. BC as a whole is amazing! Its a pure trekers dream! Cept for the Grizzly… other than that its great. Just carry some bear spray and dont keep any food on your camp site!!

Had a Grizzly come into our camp at night a few years back… we had to hang back for a good two hours before he left. Split my tent along the side and got into it, didnt tear up anything else though. Nothing some Duct tape didnt fix. Was our own fault though. We didnt take care of the food before leaving camp for a short hike.

David Ure

@familyguy

It's also rated as one of the most expensive to live in in North America.

"Vancouver is now only four percentage points cheaper than New York and more expensive than any other city in North America. "

It will be interesting to see the housing bubble collapse after the Olympics….

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Dave,

Methinks LA aside, most host cities experience 'bubbles' after their Olympics euphoria (and building binge).

I don't know much about Vancouver real estate — but buying stuff and eating out don't seem to be any more expensive than LA (where I live).

David Ure

@familyguy

The average bungalow style home in Vancouver proper is $829K. In Calgary, for comparison, it is $420K. In Toronto, $450K. In this current global economic environment it makes little sense. And given that average household incomes are no higher than the two other cities mentioned above….well…you get where I am coming from.

Personally, if anyone thinks Vancouver is nice, they need to get out to Vancouver Island – amazing.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I loved it so much last summer that I'm thinking of moving there if I can find a way to earn a living there and get past the immigration hurdles. Visiting Vancouver is fun, but I wouldn't want to live in the city proper (and parts of it reminded me of the run down sections of Boston and New York… so Vancouver, too, has its shabby aspect). Victoria Island is heaven for outdoors people!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I droned on about how impressed I was with Vancouver not because everything holy and wholesome is self contained within the city — but that the city is vibrant, modern and clean — and there are many, many attractions and beautiful natural scenery right nearby.

I've been to Victoria a few times. I do need to see the rest of the island…

EDIT:

Miguel – when in Vancouver, stay away from East Hastings St. Yuck. Comparing Vancouver with my own city (LA) — Vancouver has its rundown parts, but my city is practically ALL rundown — the worst combination of a decayed urban core and miles and miles of soulless suburban sprawl. We are trying to revitalize our downtown, but it's been a 35-year uphill battle — and we're not even a quarter of the way there.

Joe Schroeder

@westy

"The average bungalow style home in Vancouver proper is $829K. In Calgary, for comparison, it is $420K. In Toronto, $450K. In this current global economic environment it makes little sense. And given that average household incomes are no higher than the two other cities mentioned above….well…you get where I am coming from.

Personally, if anyone thinks Vancouver is nice, they need to get out to Vancouver Island – amazing."

Both are excellent, island is quite priceless but has it's drawbacks for the average joe and earning potential variety etc. "In this current global economic environment it makes little sense." Well I only wish their was a noteworthy bubble present. Skiing/kayaking and golfing in the same day and then a myriad of top class eateries/evening entertainment with easy airport access etc etc…..theirs good reason Vancouver has it's value.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Miguel – when in Vancouver, stay away from East Hastings St. Yuck. Comparing Vancouver with my own city (LA)

LOL! I had no clue about Vancouver when I first got there and needing a cheap place to stay I ended up RIGHT AT THE CORNER of W. Hastings and Homer. Little did I know that the area featured front row seats to drug addicts and gangs of boys haranguing passers-by. It wasn't that bad, compared to E. Hastings (where I later drove through) where I was (I'm used to Allston and Roxbury in Boston, and Brooklyn in New York, after all), but still, it was a genuine shock. When I discovered the West End and the quiet streets of Kitsalano I understood what people meant by "beautiful city". Needless-to-say, when my partner arrived two weeks later after my walk of the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail, I picked a hotel next to English Bay (the Sylvia Hotel… pure luxury at a reasonable price) and she immediatly fell in love.

Victoria Island… hard to really express just how wonderful it was as someone who loves the outdoors. It wasn't just the land itself, but all the outdoorsy types everywhere. I felt like I had finally found my community.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'll be on the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Mid-May for the WCT (Again). Can't wait.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – I definitely stand corrected…..

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

David, is there anywhere you haven't hiked! :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"I'll be on the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Mid-May for the WCT (Again). Can't wait."

I'm thinking about hiking the WCT this fall in October after it's closed. Hiking it when it's closed is primo. You save $150 in fees, you get the whole trail to yourself and the only downside is a refreshing (and dangerous) swim across Nitnat Narrows. I want to hike it right after it closes in the fall so fallen trees aren't a concern (unlike doing it early spring).

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

David Ure

@familyguy

@ Steve – because of Familial contraints I don't get out as often as I would like so I plan 'life list' sort of treks.

@ Dan – there are some threads on Clubtread that discuss doing the trek 'off season.' Worth looking into as Mike has mentioned the issue with being 'helped' on the trail. By the way, NitNat is very, very deep and the tide is very, very strong. Not to mention very, very cold. You would have to be a decent swimmer. But people have done it. I have faith in you.

@ Mike – have a look at the predictive tide tables for when you plan to go. No doubt this should be your guide to allow you to make time on the tidal shelf.

By the way, I might do it both ways – a yo yo. Need to work my knees.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Ha…yeah the NeoAir would be a great pool mattress. I can set my pack on that and bring two inflatable kookabay pillows as waterwings ^_^. If I'm not confident in the swim and/or in keeping my gear dry then I might just yo-yo half of the trail. I'm a good swimmer but the tides are cause for some thought. Am I correct in thinking that at peak tides there would be very little current as waterlevels would be balanced on both sides? So perhaps right at low tide would be the way to go?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools