Topic

20L backpack pattern ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 20L backpack pattern ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Do you know a simple 18-22L backpack pattern? I would use it for mountain bike touring (water bladder + clothes) and as a winter xc skiing daypack.

Thanks!

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

have you looked at the MYOG: 5 yards to SUL article series? The backpack pattern (part 4 i think) is pretty easy. The pack is a little bigger then you are looking for at ~27L, but since you are making it i think that it would be an easy mod to just make it a little smaller. Adding a hip belt, a bladder sleeve and using tougher material, and i think it would work just fine for biking with.

Nicolas L.

@msldesign

My brand new blog:

http://msloutdoordesign.wordpress.com

or see:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28034

I think this would be perfect for you… I also use it for XC skiing.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Guy,

I have plans for a 32L pack that could be narrowed 2 inches to approximately 20L. You're welcome to use them.

Front and back:

pack frontpack back

Vs Womens medium Golite Jam2:
    pack vs jam2pack pattern

Link to pattern

You can have the pattern printed full scale for about $7.50 at a print shop.

-Lance

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

While it may not be exactly what the OP is looking for, it is exactly what I'm looking for, so thanks.

Greg Wheelwright
    Spectator

@gdw

Try posting your question on the Bikepacking Forums: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?www

A number of the members make their own gear and a couple have made backpacks. The most popular commercial model used by that community seems to be the Osprey Talon 22. It has an excellent harness system which you might want to copy.

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Thanks.

I have drawn one before seing yours but i will double check mine on yours. I will probably catch errors on mine this way. Before seeing your plan, i already see idea to modify mine!

Thanks again!

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Get a cheap kids backpack at the thrift store and a drybag style stuff sack from your local outdoors store. Cut the pack body off, leaving just a backpanel and shoulder straps. Sew your drybag onto that. Saves hours of sewing. Or check out CiloGear's 20L worksack. I use it for mountain biking and climbing.

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Have seen the CiloGear 20L. Look pretty nice. I prefer a padded backpanel for mountain biking. I though about the dry bag + kid backpack.

I took several ideas and am sewing one right now. I will post picture when done. It will not be as light as some BUT it will be mine and adapted for my use. Much work than i thought. In fact, the padded backpanel tooked more time than i was thinking. Everything else is not too tough.

Thanks!

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Guy Bouchard's backpack

Here my new backpack. You can see more at http://guybouchard.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/projet-sac-a-dos-20l-backpack-project/ . Weight? Can't tell but pretty good. Don't forget, i will use it for day skiing so i need to operate it with glove and mitts. Can't wait to test it!

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

I forgot to thanks everyone for advice, plan and suggestion!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools