Topic

Evernew Ti DX stove set

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Evernew Ti DX stove set

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Locale: Redding

Has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Reading the small review I suspect that it's the reason for several Bushbuddy Ultra's appearing on the Gear Swop list.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

They're not out yet..should be any time now.

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

I see it is advertised everywhere. Although all list it as "out of stock". I was wondering if anyone has actually had their mitts on one and reviewed it?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

It sure looks nice, although I doubt that particular alky stove is incredibly efficient, still, if the price is right, that'll be a killer package for the wt..

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Some guys were putting them up for presale, but I guess they thought better of it. I decided not to put it up on my site yet – I want them in hand first. The DX set is expected out by March of this year.

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

I'd wait for a review before selling the Bushbuddy. Looks like it would/could burn the ground and doesn't seem to have any special burn technology like the Buddy.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm with Mark. When you break the design down, it is essentially a can with the top cut off and holes punched in the side (hobo stove). I don't think it will perform much better, but I would love to be wrong….cause then I'd buy one! :)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

FWIW, not really anything like the Bushbuddy. Also much smaller, a very small firebox, as it were. A neat stove setup, but given my experiences with a MYOG busybuddy vs a Ti-Tri Inferno, the firebox volume of the Evernew will require continuous feeding. I think it'll be better as a primary alky stove, but we'll have to see. It's a real nice setup overall. (I've had my hands on one, but not to test, just to see and play.) Actually, the stove is more reminiscent of the Svea 123 than a BB…

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

Hi All,
    I have one of the DX stove set. I was one of a handful of people that was able to get one from George at Antigravity Gear. It is a nice little stove set. I have not fired it up yet but plan to this weekend. It looks like it will work great with my Snowpeak 600 mug. I will let you all know how it works.
    Fred

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Can you post your comments please???? If you don't want it I'll buy it!!
    Barry

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, but it's still just an alky stove.

I feel a CC Inferno (Ti W/ alcohol, ESBIT and wood burning capabilities) is far more flexible and likely more efficient in a head-to-head comparison.

Chris Harbert

@shavuotis

My wife just bought be the DX stove set today as a suprise. I tested it first with the turbo plate and the 1 liter snowpeak trek pot. With no windscreen indoors (with an exhaust fan), it boiled a liter of water in just a shade over seven minutes. This was with two ounces of fuel. The fuel ran out about 3 minutes later. I then boiled 25oz of cold tap water in 4 min with a little over an ounce of Heet. The alcohol ran out around 4 min. later.
    This may not be the hottest stove on the planet. But, when I am camping, I am in no rush. The complete set with the alcohol burner wieghs 3.03oz. Plenty light enough for me. You can use alcohol, wood, or esbit fuel tabs. I don't have to worry about rust or burnout. Yes, the DX stove set is wicked expensive, but if you have the money, and you are like I am (big boys toys freak) try it out. I also like it because it just looks plain cool. I agree with another post on this site that it looks a bit like the SVEA. It doesn't do a bad job as an alcohol burner either. I haven't tried it out in wood mode yet. Of course you who do buy it may find differing results. It is expensive, but, I shouldn't have to buy another multifuel set up for some time. The stand has a diameter of a hair over 3 1/2 inches, so it can accomodate a two liter pot just fine.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Chris, a few questions about this DX combo.

1. When it is packed for transport, what is the size of the stove with stand, exclusive of the cook pot?
    2. Does the cook pot sit on top of the stand, or down within the upper rim of the stand?
    3. Could you predict results from a smaller cook pot?
    4. I don't think that there is a very standardized test for woodburning mode. There are too many wood types. Good luck with that.
    –B.G.–

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Bob,

1)The Dx set's packed size is 2 9/16" high x 3 5/16 wide.

2) The pot sits on top of the stand.

We just got them in today and I can't wait to get to testing!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Hmmm. That is very compact. Some of the wood competitors are 50% more volume, so they hold more wood. I don't know which would boil water faster or last longer.

I don't know how you would standardize the wood fuel. Maybe manufacture some sticks out of dry lumber.

I was also asked if it was OK to throw into the wood chamber a chunk of charcoal briquette with sticks around it. I don't know. I would not expect titanium to be hurt, but it may or may not get good results with boil time.

–B.G.–

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Here's a couple of pics in it's stored configuration.

DX setDx Set

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

It appears to be a very tidy package.

Burn results will be interesting.

As I stated, I am not familiar with any standard wood burn test. I would purchase a bunch of 1/4" pine dowel rods, but them up into proper length, fill the chamber with a certain quantity, and see what I could get going. By standardizing the wood that way, you can repeat the burn test or try to duplicate it on a comparable stove.

–B.G.–

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

This is a pricey but very good looking system, however my experience is that it is a "gas-hog"! Yesterday, temps about 50 degrees, very little wind, tap water of about 50 degrees, the stove would not boil 2 cups of water in either my Snowpeak Mini-Solo or MSR Titan kettle on less than 1.75 oz of fuel. For comparison, my Caldera with AGG 3-cup pot boiled 2 cups of water on one oz and then continued to burn another 4 minutes and burned far longer that the Evernew. Using the "power plate" only altered the result by burning the fuel quicker. I'll do more experimenting today but as for now, the Caldera appears, in my view to be unbeatable. Incidentally, I have found the Caldera system mentioned above to be superior to the White Box and Featherfire in terms of fuel consumption efficiency. I welcome any comments.

Mike Lamper
    BPL Member

@lamper

George,

If I just got the stand set, would a normal civi burner fit inside instead?

Cheers

Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'd pick up a Super Stove from Zelph far before I'd purchase that thing. It's 1/3 the weight and is far more efficient on alcohol. That being said, it doesn't burn esbit or wood chips, so it's limited I guess on multifuels of that sort…

The last advantage is that it's 1/7 the price!

Robin Morris

@rmorris

Locale: Northern New Jersey

I got this DX set last weekend and have done some quick tests; see post and video…

http://bit.ly/9vS5Zr

Robin
    backpackbasecamp.blogspot.com

David Vo

@sygyzy

Is there any way to tell what's the optimal pot size for an alcohol stove? For example, would this Evernew Ti DX stove be good for more narrow pots like the Snow Peak 600 or something wider like the MSR Quick Solo pot?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

David, I think you know that a narrow flame diameter dictates a narrow pot diameter, and so forth. You can use a wide pot with a narrow flame, but if you try to use a narrow pot with a wide flame, lots of heat is wasted by flowing up the sides.

So, either you choose your pot to match your burner, or else you choose your burner to match your pot. I don't know what is more important to you.

Now, if you have a target burner in mind, ask about it here or Google it, and try to find out from somebody who already has one of those what the flame diameter is. Typically either somebody will know or else you can find a video clip of one in action with a certain pot, and you can guess what you have from there.

As a general rule, low pressure sideburner alcohol stoves push the flames out wider, so they are good for a wider pot. Unpressurized alcohol stoves tend not to push the flames out so wide. Some push the flames toward a center, which can be good for a very narrow pot.

Some backpackers beat the entire problem by getting a wide diameter pot with a low height.

–B.G.–

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Anyone been using one of these much with as the fuel?
    I'm curious how it would compare to other wood burning stoves.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools