Topic

Gear Brands and Their Pimps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Brands and Their Pimps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Any other associations that come to mind?
    canister stoves …
    :-)

Cheers

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

An off-topic side note:

I once got grounded by my old man for using the word p*mp with reference to a movie I had just seen. Apparently, the term was both the deepest of insults and the grossest of terms for his (the WWII) generation. He referred to people he didn't like as a "capital P," such was his generation's aversion to the term.

My, oh, my. How times and language have changed. I still can't use the term without self-censoring it.

Stargazer

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

GS-1ooA, right?

David Ure

@familyguy

"BTW, I think I run a distant second to Franco in pimping Tarptent gear."

Not the Moment!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I thought Franco was associated w/ Tarpent for a least a few months…

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Re: Sara's idea: "Will there be a UL pimp outfit in purple, gold lame and white tiger? All you boys need is platform trail runners."

Heehee

Ultra-light outfits! We could paint 'em on…You first!

I met a couple of young ladies at Blacks Beach in San Diego back in @ 1977 wearing ultra-light swimsuits…. They were definitely avant gard…. ahead of Sports Illustrated by a generation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

…and for free. Just a push over.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

Yep, Franco uses a BD trekking pole as his pimp cane! :)

Joseph

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It's sad when you've been here so long that members have forgotten your pimping prime… It used to be Ben, Brett, and me for Montbell. I guess Ben's taken over all our territory and is now the Godfather Pimp!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ah c'mon, I ain't that bad, right? (No need to answer.)

Speaking of Brett — anyone knows his whereabouts?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

"But I'm a superstitious man. And if some unlucky accident should befall him – If he should get wet in his tarp (tarp tent of course) from a strong storm, or if he should hang himself in his Hammock ( take your pick )- or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning, them I'm going to blame some of the people in this blog, and that I do not forgive. But, that aside, let me say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we've made here today."

Don Ben to the other Dons

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Speaking of Brett — anyone knows his whereabouts?

Arapiles and I met him for dinner about three weeks ago when Arapiles came to Japan for winter vacation with his family. He's doing well, but extremely busy with work. He's still a member here, but feels that his time is better spent actually getting out there backpacking rather than, as he explained, relearning the same things about UL that he got when he first started here.

It was the first time I met Arapiles and Brett and it was a lot of fun. To my surprise and relief we hardly spent any time talking about UL. We spent much more time talking about our families and living in Japan and of course the mountains in Japan.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

I like old GoLite stuff (ether, Ion, Pinnacle, wisp).

The price is right, durability is right, availability a breeze…

But I think of my self like jack and tom. Use what works for you.

Sometimes I still use my littlepack as a day pack even tho it's not UL. Perfect to carry with a bouldering pad.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Pimping suggests we make money from our overly zealous recommendations of a brand or model. Heck I only have ever owned three models of Big Agnes tents. (OK, I had all 3 generations of the Seedhouse SL2.) But I sure remember a guy that used me for back-up an awful lot when defending his beloved…

I am probably more known for my love of Osprey packs. I discovered them in 2004 and have now owned more of them than all others combined over 30 years of backpacking. (There was a long stagnation period during that time though. I used three sizes of Lowe for many years.)

Now I have to be the Nunatak quilt Ho’ I am so sold on quilts in general and Nunatak personally. But I don’t even need to talk about them. Everybody that sees mine wants one by the end of the trip.

Oh crud, did I lock the gear room? I thought I heard something. Gotta go…

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Franco and Tarptents.

I have bought six TT's over the years. (One for Dave) I once asked Henry if Franco worked for him. ;-)

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I have been known to enthusiastically endorse TrailDesigns, the TarpTent line, and Montbell.

But no one has mentioned Bill Fornshell and Cuben.

-Mark

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I think Bill is made of cuben! And I hear he's designing a space station using cuben!

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I remember Brett posting an image of a guy in a purple pimp suit with "Pimping Montbell" next to it,a few years ago when I first joined. Pretty funny.

I rarely pimp anything, except maybe softshell systems for winter use. and I don't post enough to be associated with it.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

It was really disappointing when Franco didn't get a Moment. I'm sure I'd know 5-10 new, unintended ways to set it up now. Oh well, it's all fun.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Its not so much as pimping but rather a tested consensus; Everyone seems to like the warbonnet blackbird hammock as do i.

Other gear that i pimp? Not much really, im always talking about AARN bodypacks, simply because i think (from first hand experience) that its gonna change backpacking forever once those patents expire/someone copies it in the American market. Franco also pimps the aarn packs as well.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

that earth glider, marathon magic,& liquid agility look nice.

Have you tried their trekking poles?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't think I "pimp" brands. But it has been pointed out that I have a lot a Gossamer Gear stuff. Didn't start out that way, but I just keep replacing/adding stuff and it is generally GG.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I'm probably "guilty" of spreading a great many loving words for Trail Designs Ti-Tri/Caldera and for Western Mountaineering…

David Ure

@familyguy

Brad – you are being too modest. What about Osprey?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

What about those who pimp their own MYOG ideas?

LIke Franco and his Tarptent mods, for example. (especially the Contrail)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools