Topic

Gear Brands and Their Pimps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Brands and Their Pimps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

On a lighthearted note… you guys ever notice how some people always post whenever a particular brand or gear type is mentioned? Be they pimps or gurus — some that come to mind:

MLD packs – Thom Darrah!!
    Tarptents – Franco!!
    Big Agnes tents – Ray Estrella!!

Any wp/b jackets – Verber!!
    Anything about insulation layers – Richard Nisley!!
    Water treatment – yours truly :)

Any other associations that come to mind?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Patagonia – me
    (Ben, it used to be you for the BA SL2 and the TT DR).

Also, I imagine we all promote what we use.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'll promote anything I feel works really well. I don't care who makes it really. Of course some of us buy and sell a lot more than others so we can try stuff out even if we know it likely won't replace something in our stable.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I;ve gotta admit I may have pimped ULA packs a few times. But only because I didn't have a beloved SL2.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Ben, I'm guilty as charged. I tend to speak up for Nunatak, Westcomb, Hilleberg, and my friends at Mystery Ranch. Richard

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Mont-Bell – Ben
    Aquamira Tablets (not drops!) – Ben

I agree with Chris, we tend to recommend what works for us. I know that I do it as well (probably with Gossamer Gear). There isn't anything wrong with that at all as I see it, but it can be comical at times.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'm definitely not a part of this. I easily see the flaws in any piece of gear. Everything is a compromise!

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I try to avoid writing positive reviews. Any outfit that I support tends to tank fairly immediately.

Has anybody tried to get to the Fanatic Fringe web site, for example. Great backpacks! I guess I'll be nursing mine along for a good, long while.

Stargazer

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

I hadn't noticed ;-)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have noticed the same trend / people.

I would characterize my pimping to be whatever I am playing with right now. I didn't realize I posted so much on wp/b threads, but as you noted in an earlier thread, I am always tinkering with my jackets so maybe I am guilty.

Hmm… From the first few pages of search results I noticed I did post a lot of rain wear and related topics. I also noticed someone who generated more posts that I did…. our very own Benjamin Tang. Now I know why Ben noticed these trends. He is on every thread :-).

My only wish is that I was "pimping" wp/b rather than complaining about them. Maybe I should try an umbrella again since I am not using pole most of the time these days.

–Mark

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Now Ben has made everybody self conscious and the forum will shut down from no posts! jk

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I guess I am for Patagonia. I rarely find any fault with the stuff I buy from them. That said it could be due to the fact that their stuff always fits my 6'4" frame, it is functional on the trail and versatle enough to wear to the office.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"I'm definitely not a part of this. I easily see the flaws in any piece of gear. Everything is a compromise!"

I have about the same philosophy. As a negative thinker, I tend to focus on flaws, but do my best to be content with what I can afford from available gear choices.

If I had to pick a brand, maybe Warbonnet Outdoors for the Blackbird hammock…although I could find a few flaws in their tarps, topquilts, and underquilts.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I consider myself more of a wh0re than a pimp. I'll sleep with any piece of gear once.

G

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the only thing i "pimp" or promote is my own brand.
    now get to work, beeatch, and bring me my money!

http://www.te-waunderquilts.blogspot.com

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Aye. Whoring with gear is fun — but pimping is where the money is. :)

Edit: Mike got it!

Dave T

@davet

> Now Ben has made everybody self conscious and the forum will shut down from no posts!

No, the forums will continue. However, it will just be long threads of only Ben posting, post after post, into the deafening e-silence.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

No, the forums will continue. However, it will just be long threads of only Ben posting, post after post, into the deafening e-silence.

You wonder how we got by during that awful dry spell when Ben was on e-sabbatical!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Just whisper these words……… Caldera Keg…..Caldera Keg….Caldera Keg so small so lite so tidy……Caldera Keg.

This thread could get ugly.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

LOL! B to self — don't fall for it, don't fall for it, don't fall for it…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Will there be a UL pimp outfit in purple, gold lame and white tiger? All you boys need is platform trail runners.

Heehee

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am offended by this (well almost..)
    What about my pimping of Aarn packs, Icebreaker ,The Caldera Cone, Black Diamond poles, The Neo Air, Black Diamond Poles (I like them poles…)
    Franco

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've got platform trail runners. Not good on the knees…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I'm rather partial to the Double Rainbow :0

And anything Caldera ;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm suprised nobody mentioned me pimping Cabela's PacLite rain gear all the time, and sometimes their synthetic Thermastat long johns as well as their extensive lineup of boots. :)

BTW, I think I run a distant second to Franco in pimping Tarptent gear.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools