Topic

orange drink

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hi,
    I have been trying to improve the indulgence of my hiking food, as my boys are now traveling the mountains with me. Here is a new thick drink I have made. Please feel free to add any advice to this.

2/3C Nido powdered mild
    1/2C Tang powder
    3C water
    1 packet of instant vanilla pudding

The drink is a think sweet drink to subsitute a milkshake. I think it is a bit too sweet, and I would like to know how to keep the orange flavor and loose the over sweet taste.
    Regards,
    John

JR Redding

@grinchmt

My guess first hand is that the sweetener of the pudding combined with the Tang is probably overkill. And if you are not using sugar free pudding, then it's a boat load of sugar. Maybe try a dry smoothie powder of some kind mixed with Nido? or you could probably add some plain or orange gelatin to get it's thickness.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah I hate to even think about something with this much artificial additive but, maybe just some kind of orange kool-aid type mix, the kind that doesn't come premixed with sweetener.

I'll just add this, even though it's probably not my place to say.. Be careful what you eat or drink when your body is under stress. I see too many people in high output sports that are overly concerned with "fuel", and don't realize how much worse some of the "less than perfect" ingredients can be for their bodies in those circumstances.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box, and I apologize for unsolicited dogma.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have done a protein smoothie mix that I use powdered freeze dried oranges in. You get the orange flavor without the sugar/fake coloring/artificial stuff.
    When I do drinks with instant vanilla pudding I use the mix that Trader Joes sells – nothing fake in it either.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Thank you all for your inputs. I will try them out to see if I can get the flavor/texture with the mentioned ingredients. Please note…this drink is only ment to be a treat for my young sons, and not a mainstay of my hiking diet. Thanks again!
    Regards,
    John

PS:Sarah…I went with the talon 33 for my oldest son. Thanks for your help on pack selection. It is a tight fit with a 30 deg synthetic sleeping bag, but I can get his gear in it okay.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If it is a treat, then go for the bad stuff ;-) Hehheh! Live a little if it keeps the kids hiking!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools