Topic

Novice PCT gear list draft 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Novice PCT gear list draft 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Evan,

Jordan's book is more about general techniques. Jardine's is more directed at long thru hikes and how he evolved his gear. Plus Jardine is big on making your own gear and he sells kits to do so.

Regarding packs; weights are for a medium. The Circuit weighs 36 oz (4,200 cu in). A Gossamer Gear G4 with no internal frame weighs 16 oz (4,000 cu in) and a Mariposa Plus with an internal frame weighs 22 oz (3,600 cu in). Now we are getting into different companies and BPLers can get very passionate about their favorite brands. I had a Conduit and an Ohm, but switched to a GG Mariposa Plus. The GG is just easier for me to live out of. Nothing wrong with the ULA packs at all, just a personal preference. The Mariposa Plus has a y-strap at the top that theoretically could carry a cannister on the outisde of the pack. I haven't tried it though. All these packs can carry a canister, but you cannot fit them horizotally. The canister is going to take up a lot of room. I would carry the canister only where required, and then switch to a Ursack. But keep in mind that if you camp away from the more popular sites/areas you will have less chance of a bear encounter. If you want to switch packs, it should be pretty easy to sell the Catalyst here on BPL.

Sleeping: Your most expensive purchase. I like quilts. There is no way around spending a lot of money on a quality down lightweight quilt or sleeping bag. You might want to check out the GoLite quilts. I have no personal experience with them, but prices are the best you are probably going to find. If you decide to go with a new sleep system, you might be able to sell your current bag here. One caveat, if you decide to get a quilt from a cottage manufacturer keep in mind that they are custom made and the waiting period can be weeks or even months.

Cuben strength. I am not a technical expert. Tear strenght is good, but abrasion or catching it on a sharp object is not. Plus they are expensive.

Alcohol: the most widely available fuel. You can even use HEET brand gasoline anti-freeze (yellow bottle) and it can be found in auto parts stores and other non-specialty stores. I like the Caldera Cone systems because it is almost impossible to tip it over and includes a great wind screen. If you get the beer can pot set-up, your entire cook set will cost about the same as a Ti pot alone.

Dave T

@davet

Down Jacket: i wouldn't carry one, but i'm usually on the warm side of things. i find that kinda gear usually too hot to hike in, so you end up carrying it all the time. if i'm cold in camp, i get in my sleeping bag. i guess i'd rather carry an appropriately rated sleeping bag than a lighter bag and down jacket. i like a more flexible system like a synthetic vest (patagonia micropuff) and windshirt (e.g. houdini); i had a rainjacket in 2004 and that was another warm layer, and you can rotate a insulating zipneck base layer in where needed.

Sleeping Bag: i still love my two Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. i haven't gone over to the dark side (e.g. quilts). on the PCT, i used a 20 degree bag (Alpinlite) for most of the trail, switching it out to a cheap synthetic Kelty Lightyear 40 from Tahoe to Ashland (since it's so hot and dusty then). i always used sleeping clothes (except in that 40 degree bag) both to keep the expensive bag cleaner and as a dry layer for when you hike in the rain all day.

Sleeping Pad: i used a Z-Rest from the border to Tahoe, and a Thermarest Prolite 3 short after that. if i did it again, i'd probably just use a similar inflatable pad the whole way. after a day of hiking, you can sleep on a rock, but a little padding is always nice. and i'd probably get one of Bender's inflatable pillows too – a pillow makes a HUGE difference for me, and i often don't have enough extra clothes to make one up.

Groundsheet: i'd probably just use polycryo, although i used a sheet of Tyvek in 2004, and it was kinda nice to have something really tough to drop down on any surface for an afternoon siesta. And you can write a hitch-hiking sign on it with a marker! "PCT Hiker to Town" and "PCT Hiker to Trail".

Dave T

@davet

also, i'd probably grab someone's gear list from their profile and edit it for your use. divide it into categories (e.g. sleep, cook) and list EVERYTHING you plan on taking. if you have a scale, list weights.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Darn it! I just had a great post and it went away for some reason…anyway heres take 2
    Eugene: I went with #2 because I didnt have the firestarter, however I would go with #1 for you. What a sweet weight for that pot, I cant believe it! No reason for me to get the Ti pot when I will probably thrash either on this trip. I have always used and liked underarmour, so hopefully I will be able to use that if I should bring an insulating layer- we'll see. I must get it weighed. I like the idea of using a bivy for those spots, as you mentioned, that a tarp is not possible. Also I see myself using the bivy whenever the weather is not bad enough to set up the tarp. Thank you so much for that link to Zpacks- I am thinking about doing the Tigoat or MLD superlight bivy in long size (hopefully used on both) with a cuben tarp. I will just have to practice a lot with the tarp because I would not want to ruin it. I have some experience with tarps, but I am not an expert.
    A 14 mile first day? seems a bit short, is the trail really that bad? I sent that guy an email about the cannister, no reply yet. Seems like it will be very expensive though, as you mentioned they run about 300 dollars!
    Nick: sounds like I should be reading both of those books. I am very excited to get Ryan Jordans book in the mail. I will keep my eye out for the Jardine one; I looked at his site and its really nice. I like the Ray way quilt. I found on gear swap someone selling 2007 Yogi guides and a data book, so I will probably pick those up when he writes me back. Trying to save as much money as I can here. Those packs seem sweet and a huge weight savings. My bag is really heavy too as you mentioned, I have to do something about that. I am about to look up the golite quilts, however from this forum I have heard quite often that the golite 20 (whatever that is- no research done yet) is not sufficient for most people. I usually sleep cold. I have even used this marmot helium as a blanket in 60 degree rooms while sleeping, and was not too hot. Do you think I could do something to significantly reduce the weight of my pack and bag with, lets say, 400 dollars? Eugene said his quilt costs about 500 and I just dont have the funds to do something like that. I could use for example 300 for a quilt and 100 plus trade in the catalyst for a pack. What do you think? Any suggestions? EDIT: Forgot to add that I have some trouble with my left shoulder taking too much weight. For this reason I tend to stick with packs that have the ability to transfer most weight to my hips. Not a huge deal, just carried a bit too much in the military- Do these lighter packs transfer most weight to the hips? For example, I dont think I could get away from using a hip belt. :)
    Cuben- sounds like they are a bit more fragile than my silnylon one. If I do get one, I will have to practice a lot with it and baby it a bit. They are quite expensive, but maybe the 8-9 ounce weight savings is worth it. I see myself carrying and not using the tarp quite often, and sticking with the bivy whenever possible. Cowboy camping is usually my favorite.
    I think I will be very happy with the alcohol stove once I get it. Its very light, and everyone seems to know that fuel is all over the trail which is nice. At some point carrying the alcohol must be the same as a gas cannister, so I will want to refuel often. When you cook, is it once a day? what kind of stuff? I would not want to use as much alcohol as it takes for lets say pasta or rice. I think the entire set up I ordered was a little over 6oz- not too bad!
    Dave: thanks for the reassurance. I really dont want to carry another insulating layer and like you I would rather get into my bag. seems like everyone does carry those puffy jackets though.
    How did your 20 degree bag work for you? I was nervous and got the 15 degree bag instead because I usually sleep cold. Nice thought with the sleep clothes to keep the bag clean- I can see it getting nasty after a short period. My bag from the army got really bad very fast.
    Sleeping pad: I saw a BPL torsolite on gearswap and was about to get it, but I cant get around the idea that its another thing which can break. I am too nervous about that and would rather use a simple CCF pad which I can thrown down whereever. I think the thermarest CCF will be good enough, and ease my durability issues. Did you have any leaks on the hike? Good idea to use the groundsheet as a sign- multi purpose!
    I have been looking at tons of gear lists to get mine in better shape. I need to get a scale too, that will help a lot.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

When I finished the PCT this past year, I made 5 entries in my online journal reviewing the major pieces of my gear and clothing. I had no issues with a down sleeping bag or using a down jacket.

The 1st review starts here:
    http://tinyurl.com/yldcmso

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You could try building your own quilt, even my quilt. There's a thread about it in the MYOG forum. You could also buy a quilt kit from http://www.rayjardine.com or http://www.thru-hiker.com. The latter is lighter. I suppose you could swap the bottom fabric layer for cuban fiber if you want to save weight and have a vapor barrier….although you probably wouldn't save more than 1.5 oz. Vapor barriers are not for everyone, but it increases the warmth of the quilt without adding weight, especially over the long term in cold temps as your quilt stays dry where others may accummulate moisture. The kits on both sites are under $200, even with additional insulation.

If you think you may be up for sewing, maybe as preparation for sewing a quilt, you might try the bivy and tarp kits on this site.
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-packs-cart.htm

If you build a quilt, you'll want better protection for your head. I suppose this could be anything from a beanie, to a Ray-Way bomber hat, to a DownWorks balaclava.

I can totally understand your concern about an inflatable pad. I share the same concern. The last night I went out I ended up sleeping on the side of the trail where someone cut down the shrub. The only problem was that some of the sticks and trunks were sticking up. It poked thru my groundcloth, but fortunately nothing else…probably thanks to my military bivy. My pad does have a small inflatable section under the upper torso, but it has foam beneath it. That's about as much inflation I want in a pad for a long hike.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Well, you're getting snowed! Lots of people, myself included, living our thru-hike dreams through you.

As others have said, you'll figure out what works for you after a few weeks. Lightweight takes some experience to know what you are comfortable with and can tolerate, and what kind of safety margin you'll need.

I hiked a big section of the PCT in 1998, before there was any commercial LW gear; I had Jardine's PCT guidebook and my Mom's sewing machine. I made everything from the local JoAnne's Fabric. Well except for my tarp (blue woven poly, 8×10); the only commercial gear was a NF cat's meow 20deg bag (which I still have and used last summer), and my buddy's Whisperlight. I could do it with a bit lighter kit now, but my technique would be identical: enjoy the scenery, don't rest too long if its cold, and camp low.

If you're into economy, and like to DIY, there's no reason to spend lots of money. I recon I could kit myself out for less than $100 from Wal-Mart and thrift stores (sans shoes). Your money buys you convenience, lighter weight, and a small degree of security. It also helps you to fit in.

I completely understand your enthusiasm, anxiety, and obsession. I resemble them. It's them that will get you "thru" more than anything.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Sean: What can I say? You answered so many questions in that journal. Many of the items I am contemplating were reviewed with no bias and I have made many decisions based on your post (and the comments from all the other great people on this forum). I especially liked your comparison of the TIgoat bivy and the MLD bivy- I have been trying to find a field review from the PCT comparing the two. I will definetly go for the MLD bivy now. Would you reccomend the half moon mesh like you had, or the new full mesh hood option? I will also add one of those extra photon lights to the mix, I didnt even think of that. What did you think of the durability with the Grace Solo tarp? I am thinking of a cheaper, smaller tarp to use however of the same .6 cuben. Just worried about durability on the trail. Would you wear the same RailRiders shirt again? Been thinking about getting one. The review of the down jacket was helpful too- seems like I can get away without one and just stay in my bag during breaks/night time. Too hot to hike in. Thanks. I will also be getting a lighter pack as suggested by others on this thread. The circuit seems great in your review, so it may be the one. The golite seemed a bit light for you and will be for me too, so I will have to find something with a bit more insulation I believe. Thanks again for the great reviews!
    Eugene: I saw a bunch about that MYOG quilt thing, but I am really nervous about the sewing and everything. The quilts at Thru-hiker sound GREAT! For 150 bucks I can get all that- I might have to do this. I could cheat and use my mom. She is a professional quilter etc. Hmmm…
    Couldn't I just make the quilt a bit longer to use for the head? I usually like to throw it a bit over my head. I guess that is the benefit of making your own- you can make it any way you want. Another thing to research- good thing Im not doing anything but this the next 2 months.
    We think alike on a lot of things here Eugene. That inflatable pad just spells danger for me.
    Andrew: I love getting snowed on here! Just hoping I will have this much fun in the snow on the trail :)
    I am inspired by your technique of hiking. We make it difficult for ourselves these days- too much technology and whatever can be bad. I feel like for many people (myself included) there seems to be more hours spend on the computer talking about hiking than on the trail. Gotta fix that.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Dude, your mom is a professional quilter?!? I would totally use her if I was you.

If you go with a cuban fiber underlayer, then yeah, getting it a little long might be good for tucking your head. That's exactly what I was thinking too. I'm totally a side sleeper, and when I'm cold, I tuck my head under the covers. That would be a bad idea with a normal quilt in cold temps since it'd just freeze up the upper part of your quilt, but it shouldn't matter if the bottom layer isn't breathable.

I also need to get off the computer, but unfortunately I have a couple projects I need to get finished, which has been greatly hampered by rebuilding my computer. Ugh. Hopefully I finish this week so I can spend next week on the trail.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Haha yeah man she has been making quilts and stuff since before I was born. Actually, she has been promising me a quilt about since I was born- still havent gotten it. I am sure this was not what she had in mind, but hey why not? haha I am too excited I will speak to her when she gets back from work.
    Oh I didnt even think about that condensation from my breath- I will have to think about the length and everything. I also have to look into where I could get the cuben from should I want it.
    Its sad that we have been making posts every 5 minutes- cant get away from it! This is all too exciting and maybe April will come sooner if I dont go outside…
    Good luck building your computer. Thats a lot of work.
    I have to look up trails here in Chicago. Dunno if there are any- Ive got to move. Been here a week and going crazy already.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Try http://www.questoutfitters.com for cuban fiber. There may be better sources, but at least these guys have it.

Good luck getting your mom to help you with that quilt. I'll be quite jealous if she does it for you. I certainly didn't want to spend so much on a quilt, but I didn't have many options unless I made one myself.

Oh, most people recommend working with down in a closed area like a tent. I have to wonder if it might be easier to wet the down before working with it.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

"I will definetly go for the MLD bivy now. Would you reccomend the half moon mesh like you had, or the new full mesh hood option?" The full mesh hood would be more useful for the majority of the trail though in really bad weather, you might want the half moon one. Howver, you can use your rain jacket over the top end if you need the extra protection, so I'd got with the full mesh. When I bought the MLD superlite bivy, the only option was the half moon so I didn't need to make a choice.

"What did you think of the durability with the Grace Solo (cuben-fiber) tarp?" I bought mine in early 2008 and have used it exclusively ever since. It's held up well and I'll likely still be using for the next few years (unless something much lighter shows up). There are a few tarps out there using lighter weight cuben fiber, but they aren't as durable. I don't know if he stills does, but Ron at MLD use to have a quote of mine under the same tarp on his webpage about how it held up well.

"Would you wear the same RailRiders shirt again?" Any of their mesh shirts are a good choice for desert hiking and I have several of their different models. I will continue to use them in the fiture for hot exposed hiking.

"The review of the down jacket was helpful too- seems like I can get away without one and just stay in my bag during breaks/night time" While I found it too warm except around camp, this was me. Someone more cold blooded or who encountered colder weather might feel differently. When sitting still over your stove in the dark, it certainly helped, though I guess I could have cooked from my sleeping bag. I certainly appreciated it when getting up at first light and had to pack up when things were cold.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Eugene: I am checking it out now. Seems pretty sweet, but it would take away the convenience of the kit aspect. This can all et complicated…a lot to look at.
    I just spoke with my mom about it, she seems pretty excited about it. I will keep you posted. I guess I got pretty lucky with that, although I didnt think of her as a resource till just now.
    I also read on thruhiker about using the down in an enclosed area so that it doesnt all float away. I will have to do that. I bet there is a thread in MYOG about getting it wet before stuffing- that would probably work. Would it ruin the down? dunno
    Sean: Thanks for the input- since I will be using the tarp when it gets nasty, I will probably go with the full mesh hood. Whichever I can find easier on the gearswap I will go for- probably not enough time to order one now, and I might save a bit. Have to get a long though :(
    The cuben tarp sounds really good. I am seriously contemplating getting one, especially if I can get my pack and bag weight down. Then each ounce will become more important.
    Everyone seems to like the rail riders. Hard to find someone who doesnt like them. Just difficult to spend almost 60 bucks on a shirt! Saw some on gear swap for 45/40 still new- I could use a cheaper used one though. Wont stay new on me for long!
    I felt the same as you about the down jacket. Every time I go out I bring some insulation and rarely use it, instead hopping into my bag when it gets chilly. Being cold when packing up will probably get you "out the door" pretty quick though!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Eugene: Here is a link to a thread where wetting the down is mentioned. Basically, they said that wet down will stick to everything so its not the best idea. There are some innovative ideas there though!
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=8380

drowning in spam

@leaftye

That's good to know, thanks.

Oh, about the RailRiders shirt, lots of people recommend the Ecomesh shirt, so that's what I got, although in Birch….because it was on sale. If you have to pay full price, I think white would be best. If I lose enough weight on the trail, I may get a smaller white Ecomesh shirt sent out to me. I like their Ecomesh pants, but I'm not crossing creeks in full pants, so I'm sticking with convertible pants.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Yeah I keep hearing about that eco mesh shirt. Did you get it when it was on sale about a week or 2 ago? Ahhh I missed that by a hair. :(
    I am always nervous about white though. I was thinking of getting the birch, and there are a few floating around on gear swap for about 45 bucks. What pants are you going to wear?

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I was going to suggest you get the REI lightweight MTS long-sleeve zip tee. It is thin enough for hot weather and UPF50. Low and behold they just got rid of them and replaced them with a Powerstretch version. Wish I would have known, the old one is my favorite shirt.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Yep, I caught that sale a couple weeks ago. Shipping was pretty fast, so you might want to wait to see if they do another sale. I paid less than $30 shipped, so you may want to think about that if you buy from someone trying to sell theirs for $45.

I'm wearing my old REI convertible pants. I'm not sure what they are since I don't see any tags on it. It's super thin though. It's probably the Sahara pants. Both are brown, but one is lighter, and it's the lighter pair that's coming with me. I've been using these pants since around 2002 in temps from low 20's to 120's, and while it would be nice if they breathed as much as the ecomesh pants, I want convertible more than mesh because of creek crossings.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

In the desert the Eco-mesh or adventure shirts are my first choice. But if I have a good tan and will not be in a lot of temps over 100F, I may opt for the RR's Eco-speed T. I also have a Madison River Shirt that I really like.

If high temps are going to be 70F or less, then I hike in a BPL Merion Hoody. Also it is the baselayer. This is an awesome piece of gear!!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Brandon: What a bummer- I hate when a piece of your favorite gear gets discontinued or changed for the "worse."
    Eugene: Darn. I tried catching that sale. I am sure the people selling it for 45 caught the sale and are trying to sell it back for a profit. I will hold off a bit and maybe they will have a new sale. If not, I will probably save the money and put it towards a cuben tarp or something- more important to me than my shirt. I can probably find something in the closet that will do fine. I also plan on taking some convert pants, they are great- shorts and pants. I thought the mesh might get annoying on the RR pants, and I would probably rip them pretty fast.
    Nick: Thats a lot of shirt choices! What about if you were on the PCT and were going to experience all of those temp ranges? Would you take them all and bounce them, or what?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Evan,

Actually your question about what shirt to take is complicated. I only want one shirt that will also function as a base layer when it is cold. I live in the desert and I have dark complexion. I do well in heat. So if water is not a huge concern, I often don't wear a shirt. If water is critical, I wear a long sleeve shirt (RR) to help reduce evaporation. If I were to start the PCT in April, I would take the BPL Merino Hoody, and go shirtless when it got warm. Note: I would have already worked on my sun tan before starting out. Depending on the year, I might want to switch it out at Cajon pass, as there is a lot of desert. Then before Kennedy Meadows back to the merino hoody. Depending on the time of year in the Sierras, shirtless might be problematic with the insects. However again, I am not bothered much by mosquitos. So often with a little DEET I can hike shirtless. To be honest you could probably get by with an off-the-rack synthetic shirt of any kind. Buy one at Goodwill for $5.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Nick: Its funny how sometimes we can ask a simple question which requires a complex answer. Thanks for that info- I dont think I would be able to go shirtless, but I'll go look at that BPL merino hoody right now. I have a goodwill near my house, so I am checking out what gets dropped over there too :)

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Any synthetic top will do, frankly. Wool is great for not stinking, but don't plan on it lasting very long under pack straps.

I got my hiking shirt from the thrift store. Pure polyester, pure disco. Fairly tight weave, blocks the wind fairly well, and sun too, breathes; collar up makes it a stylin' turtleneck, unbuttoned and I'm ready for some hairy-chested trail town action.

Only once, in a 3-day rain in central OR, did I ever wear more than this and a windbreaker (carried an umbrella).

There are better options, to be sure; but if you've got a limited budget, the one thing you can't buy or make for cheap is a lightweight sleeping bag/quilt (down works, but nothing's easier to make than a synthetic "quilt"). Spend your dough on that, and on lots of shoes.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Just an FYI, you didn't miss any deal with that guy on Whiteblaze. I contacted him a year and a half ago about his expedition and he wanted almost as much as a new one then. He still hasn't sold it. After I contacted this guy, I found one and ended up getting an expedition for $209 shipped to me. It was like new. The guy who's selling it goes by the name of chicken-something. I had put up a Bearikade wanted ad and his reply was "found one in my supply closet I want to sell I will take $265.00 + shipping". I emailed him about it and told him that was $10 less than a brand new one if it was the expedition. The guy got really wierd. Looks like he's still trying to sell it a year and a half later. So you didn't miss anything except a waste of your time with this guy.

Dave T

@davet

hey evan. just fyi, i mailed the book yesterday. i put it in media mail, so it will be there in a week probably. cool.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools