Topic

The Gorilla and the Moosejaw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The Gorilla and the Moosejaw

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Has anyone come up with a large Gorilla pack they want to sell? I too am hunting.

On Moosejaw, I agree that their handling of the matter is a dissapointment, a very big one. When the ship hit the sand I "chatted" with a rep and suggested that they check the site and see what they could do to make things better. I received a nice but non substantive response, and the lack of a post here, at least so far, is dissapointing.

I agree that it was a mistake, but there is good in them there guys. Heck, their photos illustrating the products are sure beneficialb

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I think many of us are used to dealing with the likes of Henry Shires, Ron Bell, Ron Moak, etc., and an issue like this never would have occurred. And even if it did, you can bet that the cottage manufacturers would fix it immediately, in favor of the customer. Albeit, Moosejaw is a larger company, but that's no excuse.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

The problem is, Moosejaw does this stuff a lot. Last year around this time I ordered a "sale" item from Moosejaw. A week later I called to check on the status and the rep informed me the product wasn't available, but she could set me up with a 15% discount on a similar product…Not good customer service.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I've not ordered from Moosejaw, but I've seen this type of thing from Altrec.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

I ordered a 6 items from them and they only sent me 5. I called and they checked their warehouse and said that they didn't have an extra one. I asked if they thought I was not telling the truth and trying to get a free one, and they said they were considering all possibilities including that. During that call the person I was also talking to was trying to console her friend that just got fired. After, a couple calls/emails/twitter posts, they finally made it right.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

nm

David Ure

@familyguy

"I think many of us are used to dealing with the likes of Henry Shires, Ron Bell, Ron Moak, etc., and an issue like this never would have occurred."

In all fairness, they would not process anywhere near the volume of product.

In any event, I have had a lot of good experience with MJ especially with price matching. Their CS has always gone that extra mile for me. Having said that, I haven't purchased from them in the past couple of years as they don't offer anything that I would want given my current UL focus.

The same thing happened last year with Backcountry.com 40% off coupon that was to be used only for the Outlet but worked for a short time on regular priced items. Some folks got lucky, others didn't. Again it happened with MJ last year on Western Mountaineering sleeping bags that were posted on deep discount.

This may have been a 'system' mistake or it may have been done by Backcountry and MJ to boost some sales volume. For those of you who received some great discounts – good for you. For the others, quit your griping.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

"For those of you who received some great discounts – good for you. For the others, quit your griping."

haha, i find this funny coming from the guy who's always jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to bashing golite for raising their weights. I could equally argue that for those of you who have gotten great lightweight gear from them in the past- good for you. for the others, quit your griping.
    You don't care what golites reasoning was for their increase in weight, just like i dont care what moosejaws reasoning is for slipping up. You had an expectation that their lightweight gear would remain lightweight and i had an expectation for MJ's good customer service to remain the same, we were both left disappointed so I'll gripe so long as you do. I've had tons of great gear from golite in the past, but I dont tell people to quit their b*tchin now that they've changed

Plus I think its okay to see a moosejaw complaint thread once every couple of years considering we see a golite thread every other week. If I got a dime for everytime i heard someone say "they should change their name to goheavy"…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Companies do make mistakes. The measure is in how they correct the mistakes. With the Moosejaw issue, it was quickly corrected once upper managment got into the picture. The worker bees couldn't authorize such things. In hindsite, I would have deffered to management coming to work on Monday rather than a poor attempt on the weekend. The maddening part was that they said they didn't have the product, but it magically appeared when the price was raised. It is also strange that the inventory shows on the web site yet they needed a week to get the stock.

Thsi screen capture is current as of 2/8/10 11:25 PST.
    Moosejaw screen capture

As to the smaller companies, there have been a couple small outfits who walked off with the customer's deposits and made promises to produce product that never came through, with people waiting a year or more.

I worked for a electronics supply with a web site and an inventory that was off by 25% or so. It was a nightmare. The customers were never charged until the product was shipped, but it was three times the work to communicate with the customer and manage the backorders. They did always follow through on pricing issues and there was no quibbling– they were good to their word.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

"The maddening part was that they said they didn't have the product, but it magically appeared when the price was raised. It is also strange that the inventory shows on the web site yet they needed a week to get the stock. "

Yeah, I was pretty p*ssed for the folks whose orders were cancelled on the excuse that the items were not in stock (when clearly they were in stock). But as mentioned in the other thread, I think this was some fabrication by the weekend employees who had no authority to authorize the transaction. Management def. got on the ball when they saw that it had hit the fan.

As for asking for a week to get the items in stock, even though they are showing that they are in stock at this very moment…i think i know why. The manager also mentioned to me that our R1s will be coming direct from Patagonia. So our R1's will not be coming from MJ's inventory, and therefore it doesn't matter that our sizes are in stock on their site. Maybe this is for financial reporting reasons…as our orders will probably be categorized as bad debt expense or some other loss on their financial statements <– this is me pretending I remember what I learned as an accounting major in undergrad

*edit: Whoa check out the original thread, they are addressing the problem themselves. Kudos for owning up to the situation…thats great service imo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools