Topic

Lightweight camera bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Lightweight camera bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Wagner

@jeffw

I first posted this in make your own gear, but I though I might get more talk here.

I'm a photographer who likes to take my SLR camera out backpacking. I weighed my camera and lens bags recently, and realized that they weigh about half as much as the gear does! (These are Lowepro soft cases; not very protective.)

So, I got to thinking. For a lens case, I cleaned out a peanut butter jar and lined it with open cell foam. It weighs half as much as the old case, is nearly waterproof, and is much more protective.

Now, I'm looking for a large screw-top container to fit my whole camera in (preferrably with lens attatched). These are hard to find in the right proportions. I'm looking for suggestions on sources for such containers. I need one that's about 8 inches deep, with a lid at least 6.5 inches in diameter. Commercially available containers are nice, but too heavy. I'm looking for the cheap, more flimsy containers like a plastic jar. Any ideas? Think bear canister, but not so beefy.

Anybody else have similar carrying solutions? I'm not looking for a way to carry it while hiking, just a protective case.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

In the Kitchen Department – wide-mouth, screw-top containers for flour, sugar, etc?

Other than that, just cruise the places you usually don't go – bulk food, housewares, storage, crafts, etc.

Good Luck. And please post when you find it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used Rubbermaid/Tupperware style containers for years. You might find some of the Japanese Bento box style containers with a silicone gasket and four locking lugs to fit your camera. That will give some crush protection as well as dust and moisture. I wouldn't want to dunk one, but I think they are good protection from rain.

Do keep dust in mind when taking your photo gear afield. Blowing sand is the worst. Feeling a sand-laden focusing ring is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Typical story: setting a camera down on a beach towel with a breeze blowing down the beach….. 30 minutes later, {{{{grind}}}} [crunch]…

I walked off a bus into the observation area on Mt. Vesuvio to find a strong wind blowing a lot of volcanic dust. My SLR never got out of the bag. Waterproof point & shoot models are perfect for such conditions.

Jeff Wagner

@jeffw

I've looked at various options in the kitchen department. Trouble is, all the good stuff is meant to last forever in your kitchen, where weight is no object. I'm expecting ~6 oz for a large jar with foam. The containers in the store tend to weigh over a pound for one that large…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jeff, was my suggestion about the jug too heavy?

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

OK.
    Over to the bulk candy department.
    Look for tubs of peanut brittle.
    In automotive look for tubs of pull-out 'shop towels'.

It ain't gonna say 'UL Camera Case'.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Don't forget to check out cosmetics containers–like body butters, etc, which come in nicely wide-mouthed containers. I also recall nutritional supplements coming in ridiculously large plastic containers with nice, wide mouths.

Bulk licorice whip/beef jerky containers? perhaps for other things…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools