Topic

MLD Solomid vs. Zpacks Hexamid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Solomid vs. Zpacks Hexamid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

Finally after using a quite heavy 2 person tent until now, I'm ready to get a new solo tarp/tent.

I want to use it for solo 3 season trips, and it should be lightweight and suitable for changing weather if I don't know it will stay sunny/good.

I ruled out several solo shelters and finally came down to the MLD Solomid and the Zpacks Hexamid.

The reason I'm asking here is I simply cannot decide. The Hexamid is incredibly lightweight, but as far as I read not that suitable for heavier rain and wind.

The Solomid is still lightweight (with innernet), solid and weather resistant – but also heavier.

Any thoughts or suggestions? :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

How tall are you?

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I'm 184cm

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I think David Ure is around your height. You might ask him about the SoloMid for taller folks, he (and others, of course) could give you an informed opinion (he has a SoloMid).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am 6cm shorter than you… but tend to stretch out. I think I can envision the space you need. Either could work though neither will feel like a palace. Going against heavy wind and rain I would favor the solomid. Heavy bugs, the hexamid. Wind, rain, bugs at the same time… flip a coin.

I found that I couldn't help but regularly rub against the walls of the innernet. Now this isn't a big issue since there wasn't condensation, but it did make it feel a bit smaller than I wanted. I didn't have a problem staying away from the walls of the hexamid

As to wind and rain… it's clear that the solomid has a real edge. In a really harsh storm it will be a better place. The question is what can the hexamid take on. Without the door, it was fine in very heavy, strait down rainm but winds were able to drive the rain to near the center of the shelter. The Hexamid + Door did do fine with heavy rains combined with 32km/h winds (gusts to 48 km/h). I have no experience with stronger winds… so I can't suggest where wind strength becomes a real problem.

–Mark

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi,

Thanks for your info, and thank you Mark for the detailed description.

I wanted to order the Hexamid with door in any case.
    The Solomid has the benefit of the coming up (closed) innertent. So it's a little more flexible.

Still, the Hexamid is extremely light and easy.. and your experience with heavy rain and the wind sounds quite good..

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Does anyone know if there is a video or similar details for the Solomid?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

OT: Christoph, schau mal bei trekking-ultraleicht.de vorbei, da wird Dir auch kompetent weiter geholfen ;) /OT

I wouldn't take any of the two, because after testing the Laufbursche Tanzpalast I am so convinced of this shelter that nothing else would do:

Right side Cuben Tanzpalast pitched as Tarp, left side Silnylon Tanzpalast pitched as shelter.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi,

Already know the german forum and I'm registered there, thanks :)

Do you have any links for this laufbursche tanzpalast tarp? I cannot find anything …

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

you can find some other pictureand a short report about the Laufbursche Tanzpalast Shelter here

http://hrxxl.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/laufbursche-shelter/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Hendrik,

I'm not sure I can see much of a difference between the Laufbursche and the MLD Patrol Shelter, other than the beak of the Laufbursche seems to unzip (there's some other shelter that was on the boards recently which was like the Patrol Shelter but had a beak that unzipped). I don't read German so perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

You're probably thinking of the Alpinlitegear Stratiform tarps. They have a zipped beak.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Hi Douglas,

the beak doesn't unzip on the Laufbursche, its handled in a different way ;) The Tanzpalast (Dancing Palace, because it is so roomy) is well-thought-out, and while it looks similar to the Patrol Shelter it is far bigger, and I would say better though I haven't slept under a Patrol Shelter.

It's tested now in the Pyrenees, Germany and Finland in Winter, and has withstood from thunderstorms till snow everything which has been thrown at it – which likely can also be said about the Patrol Shelter. Anyhow, just wanted to throw in another option, seeing that the Thread Opener is coming from Austria I thought to make him aware of this European cottage-in-stealth-mode =)

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

How much does it weigh?

David Ure

@familyguy

Looks identical to the Alpinlite tarps expcept it doesn't use a zipper at the beak.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Hendrik. Is there an English-version site on which they're sold?

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi, and thanks for the information!

Initially I was looking for a tarp tent, so the two initial ones are more on the tent side – compared to the Laufbursche (in terms of inntertent, innernet, floor, etc)

Can you elaborate on the "cottage" mode you have mentioned? :) I cannot really see it on the pictures, I mean when used as a shelter

And when will it be available?

Btw. the Alpinlite stuff looks quite good too .. and light… as usual almost too hard to decide :)

Still, it looks like the Hexamid is the most universal solution for me, since it is nice in summer due to the side opening, can handle rain and even snow(?) with this door..

David Ure

@familyguy

Snow? Not in my parts.

By the way – you just described the SoloMid to a 'T'

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

David, what's your suggestion?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Still, it looks like the Hexamid is the most universal solution for me

In terms of universal use… I would suggest the solomid is better because you can pitch it up for ventilation, or to the ground if you are need to keep out snow are strong winds. The Hexamid is designed to be a bit more open. The Hexamid's openess is fine for three season use, but in harsh conditions / winter I would rather have a more protective shelter.

I originally picked up the duomid + innernet as my do everything 4 season shelter. I swapped it for the hexamid because I realized that a had a good shelter for the winter and shoulder season, and that the other 2.5 seasons would be well served by the lighter and cheaper hexamid.

–Mark

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Chris – my suggestion would be exactly what Mark indicated. If you are truly looking for an all season modular shelter then the Mids present a compelling argument. The Hexamid would be fine for 3 season but I just can't see it working in any sort of reasonable snow fall…..

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

okay, so let's say the Hexamid is universal for 3 season use :) I like that it is easy to set up, includes bug and rain protection out of the box and still is so lightweight.. – compared to a traditional tarp.

The more I'm looking at the different alternatives, the harder it gets…
    Somehow I'm yet again looking at Tarps vs Tarptents..

Mark, what combinations are you using? (ground sheets, bivy, etc?)

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hey guys, to update this: right now I'm thinking towards the Laufbursche (Hendrik, currently I seem to not be able to verify my registration with the forum somehow)

I like the design, it looks quite reasonable.
    But I'm not sure about the details, and how to combine it (groundsheet, bivy, etc..)

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Douglas, no website yet. Rumours have it the company will launch on the 1st of May, so you'd have to be patient a bit longer =)

Robert, Silnylon version is 430 g and the cuben version is 230 g, that both excludes pegs and lines.

Christoph, with cottage I meant that Laufbursche is going to be a cottage manufacturer based in Germany =) In the shelter mode the walls go down to the floor, as you can see on the previous photo (click on it to magnify!), or on this one:

Laufbursche silnylon Tanzpalast in shelter mode pitched, view from behind.

As I said, launch will likely be on the 1st of May 2010. Check my blog or here on the forums for news about it. And I'm glad that for the moment you favour the Tanzpalast!

/OT: Christoph, die haben nur einen Admin der Mitglieder freischaltet, sollte hoffentlich nicht allzulange dauern. Ich habe noch einige Fotos die wir vor zwei Wochen hier gemacht haben vom Shelter, die für die Laufbursche Webseite sind, vielleicht das ich Sie später mal online stelle.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info.. I was already looking for a shop called laufbursche – without result of course :)

Problem is, that I need something before May :(

Can anyone suggest something similar? I like the design, especially the front

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools