Topic

Finished Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished Rain Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I just finished my rain jacket. I used pattern 134 from Green Pepper. It rained all morning, so I had the chance to test it, and I am proud to report all was dry. I have not sealed the seams, but plan to do that soon. And, it is really nice to have the front pocket to get my hands out of the rain.Rain Jacket 1Rain Jacket 2Rain Jacket 3

Question: Has anyone used the water based seam sealer on jackets like this?

I just don't want a glossy glob of sealer visible from the outside of the jacket.

Z.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Tom, that's not bad.

I recently sewed a Green Pepper #543, which has a front zipper. Except that I made it out of the thinnest Pertex fabric that I had sitting around, so it came out at 4 ounces total.

If you want to apply some seam sealer, why don't you apply it carefully to the inside? I sealed mine on the inside, but it may have been more for fabric edge sealing rather than actual rain-through-the-seam sealing.

–B.G.–

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Well done, Tom. Looks great.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tom – what fabric did you use, and where did you get it?

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

K.

I used 70D coated nylon, polyurathane, and I ordered the fabric from "Rain Shed". They are very fast with their order processing and shipping.

I went back and forth regarding "breathable", and "waterproof". I chose waterproof, since the pattern opens up well down to the pocket, and I wantd to make sure to keep dry.

It is a very nice pattern. Next come the pants.

Z

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tom

Yeah, looks good.
    How did you find the hood on your head, and with glasses?

Cheers

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Nice work Tom.

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Roger,

The hood has a draw cord that tightens to create a visor, and it works very well. We had a huge rain storm on Saturday, and I found if I just release some of the tension on the hood, it fell more forward, and even over the brim of my ball cap. So, it did a great job of keeping the rain off of my glasses !!

Z.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools