Topic

march bay area meet n greet n hike n stay n smile

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips march bay area meet n greet n hike n stay n smile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

Well you get my point… i hope… I;d like to set up a good trip in SF and surrounding area. I'm in SoCal. My lady friend is in SF. I get to bring the tarp, quilts, bivy and ground sheet… and then the food, my clothes, return plane ticket. you gents n ladies get to choose a weekend fri night thru sun night jaunt. I have alcohol. the cooking kind that is. I have Gossamer gear bits n pieces. she is a triathlete – kick my b**t if it was necessary. I do like necessity! I'm looking for a good hike, camp one night max 2, event. who might be in? who might have suggestions? The first 700 replies will get a look ;) i look forward to seeing you at the starting line. Must be march. must be fun….

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It doesn't do a lot for me… but a number of people here would would suggest henry coe. I am most likely going to give in another try since people have been pretty vocal about the area. There was a discussion about destinations on an earlier thread about bay area hikes. Historically I have liked Ventana, especially going past Sykes… but I haven't been since the fire. There are some nice hikes out of china camp, but the road is a bit slow, and several involves a lot of water crossings.

–Mark

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

Photos from early last May, I think (possibly late April, but pretty sure May).

around 1500 ft. elevation, outside Sacramento, near Auburn

I'll be needing a trip and should be ready by March: I think Kiki is going to make it only a couple more days now at most.

It's about 4.5 miles in and pretty easy but quite scenic. Trail continues on (for almost 100 miles) if anyone needs to get more miles.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15292&id=1598446726&l=d940772659

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Cary,

Would you be willing to part with details around where the trailhead is? Looks like a pretty spot.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

> It doesn't do a lot for me… but a number of people here would would suggest henry coe.

It is the only place in the Bay Area where you can camp, other than at established campsites. That alone is pretty attractive.

It has a lot of up-and-down — good planning can eliminate some of that, but not all of it. Depending on your mindset, that can be seen as a nice challenge.

It is pretty, and you can find places that are away from other people. In fact, if you take long enough to get back into the Orestimba Wilderness, you are pretty unlikely to see anyone else — its too far for most people to go (except on the Backcountry Weekend).

Because Thanksgiving is a truly long weekend, I have been kicking around the idea of proposing a Thanksgiving trip that would take advantage of the time to allow those who want to to get a good look at the Orestimba Wilderness. I'll bring the idea up next fall, if it still seems like a good idea by then.

The trip would go in to Mississippi Lake on Thursday and have a group Thanksgiving dinner — perhaps an organized dish-to-pass. Then Friday and Saturday people could go as far as they wished — room for a lot of flexibility here. Finally, Sunday hike back out.

Fri, Sat — a couple of day hikes or a backpack. Could pretty easily get into the Orestimba Wilderness to Paradise Flat, Rooster Comb, several good fishing lakes, or to Mt Stakes for the more ambitious. The group could split for those two days so the stronger could range further, each could do as they (or the sub-group they are part of) want to.

— Bob

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

John,

I am not clear whether you are looking for ideas for a trip alone with your friend, or whether you are looking for people to take a trip with.

If the latter, note that there is already a plan afoot to go into Henry Coe on the third weekend in March. You can start Fri night or Sat morning. Back Sun night.

I believe the plan is the same idea as last year — Hunting Hollow entrance to Coit Lake. I'm not sure that has been firmly settled yet, though.

— Bob

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

is the trailhead.

it goes up the western states trail.

Bob- I'm not in shape enough for 10 miles right now. I could probably do 6 or so tops, so Coe won't work for me. The last month I've only left the house to buy groceries or go to vet appointments and have hardly slept. I think I walked 2 miles once, otherwise no exercise in over a month. Coe was a great trip last year, though, if anyone is on the fence–definitely well worth it.

i'd be up for a shorter trip closer to home, like the one pictured in my link. something within an hour or so of Sacramento and 6 miles or less per day of walking. i don't really want to go alone.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

> Bob- I'm not in shape enough for 10 miles right
    > now. I could probably do 6 or so tops, so Coe
    > won't work for me.

Cary,

Sorry to hear about your concerns, but understand. I'm just getting back after about 6 months off (combination medical and personal). I hope to be fine by the time the trip rolls around, but we'll see.

I really enjoyed having you on the trip last time; I'm sure we would all miss you.

How about if we arranged for you to come in from the Coyote Creek entrance? You could be dropped off there, so you would not need to walk from Hunting Hollow to Coyote Creek. I make it about 6.2 miles from the Coyote Creek entrance to Coit Lake. I would not be surprised if we can get someone to walk with you — there could well be someone else whom the reduced distance hike in/out would motivate to sign up.

Not close to your home, but within the mileage you mention.

— Bob

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

This sounds like fun! I have to speak to my 'friend' who lives up there to check availability / schedules but I like it! What is the terrain / weather? Am I ok tarp / bivvy/ quilt? Or do I need a canoe?

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

John,

In case you have not found it yet, the trip URL for the March Coe trip is
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28281

Let's keep any further discussion over there.

Weather — should be mild. It should be good wildflower season, too.

Terrain — hilly — some quite steep up-and-down, though if we go in to Coit Lake from Hunting Hollow that is reduced a bit (but not eliminated).

Shelter — tarp/bivvy/quilt will be just fine. That's what some others will have.

If you want to fish Coit, you could use a packraft or a float tube (due to weeds along a lot of the shoreline) I would not try to portage a canoe in, though :))

— Bob

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I would not try to portage a canoe in, though"

Cuben fiber is waterproof, no?

A Cuben fiber canoe! It would fold down and fit into the large outside pocket on a pack. Titanium and carbon fiber paddle.

–B.G.–

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Sounds great — check out Pakboats

An ultralight version of one of their boats would be great!

— Bob

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools