Topic

using tent poles instead of trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) using tent poles instead of trekking poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Stimson
    BPL Member

@hughstimson

howdy all,

I’m considering buying a shelter tarp, but I don’t use trekking poles and don’t really want to start.

does anyone have experience using a couple of tent poles in the place of trekking poles for shelter set-up? e.g. hints for modifying the ends to make them interface better with tarp tie-out points?

I’m sure I can figure out a working system, I’m equally sure somebody has done it and has some advanced tips…

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

Hugh,
    I have done this a couple of different ways. The easiest is to manufacture something to insert into the pole end. To do this, I would purchase some rod aluminum (tubular would work), or even dense plastic rod (solid), from your local hardware store. Or, use an old aluminum tent stake. This would be sized to fit into the end of the tent pole. Cut it to 1″-2″ long and drill a small hole in the top end to run your tent line through. Permanently tie your tarp ridge line to this close to the tarp. Set up by erecting your poles and inserting the aluminum rod into the pole end. You will want to buff all the edges so neither the line nor your tarp get shredded.

Jay Ham
    BPL

Hugh Stimson
    BPL Member

@hughstimson

thanks Jay, that sounds about right.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I guess it would depend on which type of tarp shelter you use.
    With a flat 8×10 tarp, I would just as soon carry trekking poles. At least they would serve multi purposes.
    Otherwise I would use a couple of sturdy sticks found along the trail to support the ridge of my tarp.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

My home made TarpTent as well as the earlier models of manufactured TarpTents (first incarnations of the Virga and Squall) use Easton Aluminum poles with grommet ends and a #1 size grommet through the webbing material of the tie outs …. works great.

Henry still provides the make your own instructions at his website as well as a link to a place to buy poles if your local shops don’t carry them.

Google for tarptent and you’ll find the place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools