Topic

Caldera Inferno, Mug Size?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Inferno, Mug Size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hey there,

I've got an optimus nova which I'm using most of the time if we are two people.

However, since it's quite heavy, I wanted to get something new, lightweight to use for myself.

I first wanted to buy the caldera cone, but then stumbled across the new inferno, which looks quite nice – especially since it is so flexible and modular.

The question for me is, since I never had a stove at this size – what kind of mug to choose, especially regarding the size.

I thought about the snowpeak 600, but I'm not sure if it is large enough and also what the other manufacturers have to offer.
    I would be very thankful if anyone could share their experience, and suggest a lightweight mug (with lid)for solo use…

Thanks in advance,
    Christoph

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I too am the owner of the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone w/ Inferno. I use the esbit/gramcracker normally with the inferno as a backup.

I think it really "boils" down to whether you are going solo or have others to tend to. I usually have one or two others that depend on me for boiled water. I don't mind, but it required a larger pot to get the job done more efficiently. I went with the SP 900.

If I were to do it all over again with a solo setup in mind, I'd buy the Firelite 550 w/ handles.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I also use the Ti-Tri with the Inferno. I have the UL Compact version which I use with my MLD 850 Pot. For solo trips, I think this pot is the perfect size. The UL Compact version allows for everything to store nicely inside my pot.

-Sid

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have played a lot with Calderas and infernos. See Caldera Stoves

My preference is the MLD 850 pot and Caldera, it provides plenty of volume for cooking and a cone with inferno can be packed inside the pot without the need for a caddy. However, in winter (in Scandinavia) I see the need for a full cone for non wood cooking as it ensures the water boils in a timely fuel efficient manner.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi, and thanks a lot for your input!
    I want to use it on solo tours, if we are more people I'm taking the optimus nova with me most of the time.

Right, there was the compact version too, which is definitely useful.
    What I'm a bit worried about the "Caldera UL Compact Solo 1" versions, which are quite nice especially with the 850 mug is – the height. Those pots look very high, wouldn't a wider pot be preferrable? Both in terms of ease-of-use and time-to-boil ?

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Christoph:

Everything in life is a compromise! Yes, the wider pots are easier to use in reference to cooking in, stirring, eating out of, etc. Also, in wood burning mode, when the pot is sitting up on the stakes, the wider "face" to the wood fire is better in boil time. With the pot down inside the cone in alcohol/esbit mode, tall/skinny vs wide/short doesn't make as much difference. The only reason to compromise all of that stuff is for packability. There are many here that really value the ability to shove everything inside the pot and will take the tall/skinny hit for the packability advantage and is the reason we came up with the ULC.

I just put up a comparison chart of the various Caldera products and their various feature considerations at:

http://traildesigns.com/comparison.html

…in case that helps.

Rand :-)

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi Rand,

Thank's for the support! And yeah, the comparison is quite helpful
    Of course it's a compromise.. but soo hard to decide :)

I saw the videos about the normal infernos, are there videos of the ULC versions too by any chance?

I think I will go with the ULC version but I'm unsure about the two solo versions .. :) hmmm

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use a Firelight UL 550 with a caldera or a SP 700 (the one from the titanium solo kit because titanium lid and handles) and a compact caldera. (or even a tinfoli screen and an esbit wing stove in a pinch)
    In the 700 I can fit an MSR mug inside and modified MSR mugmate plus all my cooking stuff.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

hm, I just realized that the snowpeak 700 without lid weights more than the MDL 850 with lid? Guess I read it wrong in the description.

So I think I will go with the ULC inferno and mdl 850 .. looks quite nice :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools