Topic

air travel with a backpacker stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) air travel with a backpacker stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm planning some air travel in North America. When I get to the last city airport, I will not have any time for equipment purchases. The flights will extend out into the boonies, and there will be no place for equipment purchases. But, I will be camping there for about six days. I'm going to be cooking a little, but some stoves will be too difficult since I can't pack any normal stove fuel on the aircraft. I can perfectly understand that, so I would not pack any white gas, butane, or alcohol. My general plan is to take a small woodburning stove and use twigs at the site. That should be enough to cook with. However, I know that it's likely to be rainy there, so all twigs may be wet and soggy. So, it would be wise if I had some kind of backup fuel along, but it can't be any fuel that would upset a TSA inspector or scanning machine. It has to be some burnable substance that does not classify as a fuel. Examples might include candle wax and wood. I've already made some inquiries to TSA, and they basically say, "Don't pack it, because our TSA inspectors have the right to remove anything at all that is even marginally suspect." [The bastards!] We had a discussion about MSDS sheets and hazardous material, and I could not pin them down. Now, I understand that they have good intentions, but I still need some guidelines as to what is permitted and what is not. If they told me that up to 2 ounces of candle is permitted, then I would pack about 1.9 ounces of it. They can't possibly object to wood (for crying out loud!), so I think I will have a couple of ounces of a softwood like yellow pine in slender pieces, and some firestarter material. Lighting the stove is not difficult (flint and steel).
    Has anybody ever dealt with this?
    –B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sugar cubes?

Just kidding!!! Don't even try to sneak those into an airplane — checked or carried on!

I think it's unrealistic to bring enough 'fuel' like wood, etc. onboard. Maybe bring a generous supply of fire starters (e.g. lint) plus 1-2 BIC lighters, which are allowed — to get you started on your wood-burning stove.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Bob, I'm not sure what your yellow pine might be (fairly generic term), but you might want to take what they call "fatwood" on the plane instead. It's full of pitch, can be lit in few seconds with your Bic, and I bet TSA won't give a hoot. It's a great firestarter material, burns for 5-8 minutes, and it smells great (you might want to keep it in a freezer bag, or even vacuum seal it, due to the fragrant smell). It usually comes in 8-10" sticks, which I usually cut into 2-3" pieces at home. It doesn't take much to get a fire going, even with damp kindling. You can find them in your grocery store, in the BBQ briquette section.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Originally, I had thought about taking Esbit, but then I had that discussion with TSA, so it is out.
    BIC lighters won't really go. Only common lighters without fuel are allowed, and a BIC without butane isn't much good. As I stated, I can create sparks, and cotton balls or jute fiber balls work well to catch sparks and become a firestarter. Sparks are not the issue. The issue is that I will need some kind of basic twig fuel substitute in the event that it's been raining for a week and everything on the ground is floating. Ideally, the wooden pieces are about the diameter of one's finger, or smaller. My basic firestarter sticks are made out of sawdust and wax, and they work OK. I guess I will just have to purchase a few packages of them before leaving home. Nylon fabric scraps burn, but I hate to completely crud up my stove with that stuff, except in an emergency. I'll have a knife packed, so I can always chip pieces off the ranger station log cabin!
    Apparently candle wax has a similar density to some types of plastique explosive, so it may show up in a baggage scan, at least if it was a brick of it.
    –B.G.–

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Better yet find some fatwood/lighter wood when you get there. Old old pine stumps usually have a good bit on them.
    You will need a sturdy knife and or saw to get it off as the stuff is hard as a rock.

Candlewax on hemp string or rope works, but you better test it out first.

Dont know how they are with candles on planes

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

BIC lighters won't really go. Only common lighters without fuel are allowed, and a BIC without butane isn't much good.

Per TSA website, up to two BIC lighters with butane fuel are allowed as carry on! One of the few things you are allowed to carry (but not check).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Apparently the two wood types at my destination are cottonwood and spruce. Cottonwood is soft, but tends to be a little damp, and it produces a smoky fire. That's better than nothing. Spruce ought to be slightly better, but I'll have to walk much farther to pick it up. That's OK if that is the best that I can do.
    Reports from the destination claim that twigs were floating all about the camping area. That's not OK.
    Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not something that I would bring along for the obvious purpose, but it might help promote a fire. Also, DEET works as a bug repellent, and it might help a fire, even if it is smoky.
    Boy, the animals are going to love me!
    –B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Benjamin, you and I must be looking at two completely different TSA pages. Here is what I see:

"Common Lighters – Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home."

"Strike-anywhere Matches – One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage."

(I can hand carry a book of ordinary matches, but that is not the issue.)
    –B.G.–

Erik Graf

@van-go

I have to say that the last several trips I have taken I had a mini bic lighter and matches in my cook pot which I had in checked luggage. As with every time I travel with my hiking gear I had the TSA baggage inspection slip in my luggage when I got to my destination but my matches and bic remained.

I usually stop by an auto parts store, supermarket, retail store and get a bottle of HEET.

You're saying you cannot though – any chance you can mail something ahead (though I know there are restrictions on that)and I can only assume if you cannot stop by a store you cannot stop by a Post Office.

Maybe bring a magnesium / flint striker to use on a zip lock bag full of high resin wood chips. I used to bring a 35mm film canister with cotton balls slimmed with petroleum jelly. It was never pulled from my luggage. They would dry wet leaves and twigs enough to ignite and I'd just add larger and larger pieces.

Could bring a bunch of bags of Frito's – I use those to start fires – burn like a candle for several minutes…

Coleman sticks?

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089W464912110001P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Fire%20Starters%20&%20Lighters&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

Good luck – I know how aggravating that can be.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bob,

Your reference above applies to checked baggage. I was talking about carrying on. Click here for the page and notice that under "common lighters", it's a "yes" for carry on and a "no" for checked baggage.

If that's not clear enough, click here for American Airlines website and scroll down to lighters. Same info — BIC lighters can be carried on (but not checked).

Hope this clears it up.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

>>When I get to the last city airport, I will not have any time for equipment purchases. The flights will extend out into the boonies, and there will be no place for equipment purchases.<<

Maybe some more detail as to where you're headed would be helpful.

I'd think that, if you're someplace in NA with a commercial airport, then there would be some place within a few minutes drive where you could buy some type of fuel…particularly alcohol or gasoline/kerosene.

On the other hand, if the problem is solely that "there is no time for equipment purchases", then I'd say you should change your travel itinerary. Whoever is picking you up could certainly grab some petrol before they pick you up, or something…right?

This reminds me of one of those puzzles they give you in math class back in 7th grade. My answer is "need more details."

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home."

Nowhere does it state that BIC lighters with fuel are allowed without a DOT case. AA simply links to the same information at TSA. It states that unfueled lighters are allowed. However, a lighter is not the issue, as I have stated. I can generate sparks all day long, and I have enough cotton balls and magnesium to last a long time. The only issue is dry wood for fuel.

There are places in Alaska where you can't drive to by car. The last airport connection won't allow any time or place to purchase anything. Further, another flight from there takes me to my final destination where there is nothing. Zilch. No airport. Just two moose and a beaver.

A bagful of sawdust and wax firestarter sticks will have to cover me. A 50-50 mixture of that and soggy twigs should burn well. On my arrival day or whatever day is dry enough, I will just bag up enough twigs to last me.

Fortunately, this will not be Four-Star dining. The simplest of water boiling is all I need.
    –B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bob:

BIC's are allowed as carry on. But you keep focusing on checked bags! Anyway, I realize you don't absolutely need to carry a lighter, but just want to state for the record that they are indeed allowed.

I think the post above raises a good point. Who's picking you up? Can he get some fuel for you?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Nowhere on the damned TSA page does it mention anything about BIC lighters, and you've read the text from there. Nor is a lighter the issue. The issue is purely fuel wood of small diameter. My woodburner stove's opening is less than four inches in diameter.

Nobody is picking me up. There is no road. Two moose and a beaver, and the moose don't have opposable thumbs, so they can't drive. No vehicles.

Now, I know that things can accidentally fall into one's suitcase, and it would be up to a TSA inspector to actually find them or confiscate them. I prefer to stay on the right side of the law. A friend of mine is a TSA inspector, so I know what they can and cannot do.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. You're taking a commercial airline straight to a bush landing field with no road, two moose and a beaver.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

That's pretty much it, except that there isn't any landing strip.

The moose and beaver don't do ultralight. I might be able to get the beaver to cut some logs, but nothing small enough for me to burn. I might be able to pick up some beaver's wood debris to burn.
    –B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home."

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK, Bob, one more time:

1. the wording you pasted applies ONLY to checked baggage. You CANNOT put a BIC lighter in your checked baggage.

2. But the same webpage — look at the column headings(!) — carry on vs. checked. See them? Now look down a bit for "common lighters". See the "Yes" for carry on and the "No" for checked.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Bob,

I'm a commercial airline pilot. You CAN carry lighters onto the aircraft. You may not be able to check them, but you CAN carry them in your pocket. Just for the record, most TSA agents are under trained idiots.

ETA – Not saying you should try it, but I just put everything I want to take in my checked baggage. Legal or not legal… that's for them to figure out. I've always arrived with everything I started out with.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

hmmm i dont really understand whats going on here. My take on it, yes u can take bic lighters in your pocket, and just not checked into your checked bags (Bob, look at the yes/no chart in Ben's link closer) Yeah it's confusing but i'm interpreting it the same way Ben is. Yeah i know that doesn't concern you b/c u have your spark striker, but a $1.00 bic will save u time, and worse comes to worse, u have to toss it out before you board. Go with the fat wood people are recommending, that stuff burns long and lights easy. I would also bring cotton balls or Tinder-Quik Fire Tabs. If you plan on relying only on your sparker, you're going to find it somewhat difficult to light the fatwood byitself, so the cotton/dryer lint/ tinder quik will be helpful

*oops Justin beat me to the punch, but yeah i agree

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Yes, you can take a lighter onto an airplane in the united states.

This is a change from previous policies where lighters were not allowed.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yup — that change took effect in 2007 — more than 3 years ago.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I know you can carry a BIC lighter. I have won that agrument twice, and one of the times was last week (a new TSA employee).

Are going to check anything? If so, I would fill a rubbing alcohol bottle with denatured alcohol. The bag is only going to be checked at the departing airport. Also in your small checked bag throw in some wood. I would take something that does not raise suspision with the alcohol. Maybe a case of wooden chop sticks, ice cream sticks, wooden dowels, etc.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

PM me for an option that I would prefer not to advertise.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I really dont know how so many backpackers make it by air travel these days. I have only done one trip across the US by plane with my gear and it required a spreadsheet.

The problem is the rules are extremely different for the 2 ways you can transport gear by plane. One is to "check" gear the other is to "carry it on". Some items are fine either way and some items can only go one way and lastly some items not at all.

For example yes you can carry a bic lighter full of fuel through security as a carry on item, but no you can not legally put this item in a checked bag. So it is easy to bring a lighter full of fuel.

I wanted to carry on everything possible because I did not want to loose it if my luggage didnt make. I too was on a tight timeframe (fly into Portland, OR). Other things I ran into that were not so easily answered.

1. Can titanium tent stakes be carry-on? I checked these.
    2. Can my metal tipped hiking poles be carry-on (I showed my pole to a TSA agent, he said he did not know)? I checked.
    3. My alcy stove empty? I did not check this, but was told if fumes could be detected it might be a problem.
    4. My lighter was fine to carry on.
    5. Alcohol for drinking was fine to check (use grain?)….oh no not grain alcy it is too high proof. Solution: I bought HEET at truck stop on way to trail.
    6. Swiss army classic…need to check this.

So in the end I carried on most of my gear (6 lb base weight made it easy) but had to check a few items and then buy fuel on the way.

It all worked out fine.

Jamie

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools