Topic

To snivel or not to snivel?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) To snivel or not to snivel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I just got my No Sniveller and I'm going to try it out this weekend in 20-30f to see if it keeps my snivelling down to a minimum. From my understanding, lofts at 1" are good to 40f, 2" are good to 30 and 3" are good to 20f. the JRB website says the bag has 2.5" loft but I believe mine was a 2009 model so I'm not sure if it's the same. Does anyone know? Are my estimates above close?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Adan,

No Sniveller specs are unchanged from 2009 to 2010…. As a 2009 model yours lofts to 2.5 inches.

Pan

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Sorry if I'm off topic.

If I recall correctly from your previous posts, your close to my size. I'm 6'3" and wider shoulder(proportional for my height).

I've always stayed away from JRB quilts because I thought 48" isn't enough to cover my shoulders when I sleep on my side.

Not sure if your a side sleeper but I'll be interested to hear if it actually covers your upper half.

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

First I will say I am of larger size (ie wide not tall) but if Im careful I have no problems staying covered with my no sniviller. Although I do mostly use it in my hammock or as an underqulit so YMMV. If the width turns you off, look at the Sierra Sniviller (SS). Its a good deal wider and tapered at the foot. I have a stealth quilt proto the Jacks made a year or two back when I asked for basicly the S.S. I use it all the time and never have an issue with coverage.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I was concerned about the same thing. Now that I have it here, I think I'll be able to manage drafts pretty well. The Sierra Sniveller would have been better, i can see where the 4" increas in girth will be very helpful. I will probably tie a bandana across two of the loops so that i can easily reach under my waist and pull the bandana under me to make draft control easier. Other than that, its such a kooshy banket and plenty roomy tuck in around my neck. I will keep you posted.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm new to quilts. I'll be sleeping under a tarp on a Big Agnes Primaloft-insulated inflatable. I dont have a bivy yet but I wont be camping in windy areas. With a little practice, I'm hoping to take this gear to 30f, is that reasonable or do i really need a bivy to do this? I'll be wearing a base layer, really warm down jacket and medium warm, fleece pants. I'm a warm sleeper generally.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Adan, et al,

30*F is more than reasonable for a JRB No Sniveller (or any three season JRB quilt for that matter) under the conditions you describe… Many customers report solid performance at 25 and even lower.

Pan

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Mr Pan. I can hardly wait to try it out.

Andrei Tudor
    BPL Member

@andrei_tudor

I'm 5'11". Should I get the long or the regular? I'm very close to the 5'10" height on the website, and I hope to be able to save the extra weight. What would I be losing if I went with the regular?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools