Topic

Pertex Shield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pertex Shield

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Does anybody have any experience with the breathability of this material? I am looking at the new OR Helium and the Golite Tumalo.

The Helium is 6.8oz in a Large according to their site, and the Tumalo is 9.0oz, but includes features like pockets and pit zips.

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

7,000 g/24hrs/m2 using desiccant inverted cup method. This is similar breathability to pertex epic, but less than the 20,000 from an eVent 2ply. Also, hydrostatic head test of 10,000mm. This is where a wiki comparison chart with the community's combined knowledge would come in handy. Hope some people contribute.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I just looked it up on the Pertex website. There are 3 kinds of Shield – Shield 2, Shield DS, and Shield 3. Both the 2 and 3 have very good breathability – 20000 g/m2/24hrs. The Shield DS has much less breathability – 8000 g/m2/24hrs. Unfortunately both the Golite and the OR are made from this Shield DS. If there are any jackets out there made from Shield 2 or Shield 3, I would be very interested, because the breathability should be very close to eVent.

– Ben

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Ben,

Pertex designed "Shield" to compete with eVent.

Check out my "Pertex Shield" thread here:

Pertex Shield

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Last time I ordered from Pertex, they also are owned by the
    same company as eVent.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi David,

Not everyone can buy from eVent but many can buy from Pertex.

I can buy from Pertex but eVent will not sell to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools