Topic

John Muir Trail, Class of 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips John Muir Trail, Class of 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Planning a southbound thru, 15 days in late summer.

Anyone else?

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

I plan to leave around the middle of August. Probably take around 18 days.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

SOBO leaving mid/end of July. With about ten less pounds base-weight than last year. An more prepared as well. Go figure.

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

I also am SOBO in August, 15 days. Have to find better cushioned shoes than last summer (bottom of my feet got very sore).
    Aloha

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I am also Planning a southbound trip in August, 15 days, give or take a few days.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

FYI, if any of you are stopping in Mammoth, they have an A+ brewery and tasting room at Mammoth Mountain Brewery. For dinner, ask about Angel's Restaurant, its some of the best comfort food anyone, let alone a hiker, can ask for. Also, there is a hiker box at the Motel 6 that might have some goodies in it.

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Planning on hiking this thing starting in Yosemite. Haven't set a start date at this point, but at this point I do not have a partner. According the the ladies in my life, they would feel alot better about this thing if I was out there with someone.

Live in Philly, planning on taking 3 weeks off of work to complete it, but by no means does that mean I will use the entire time for the hike. I would like to complete it in 14ish days, but a day or 2 in either direction would be fine.

I have already started training for the hike. I am working in Carson City every week, so the altitude is roughly 5000 feet and I am running 4 miles a day, 4 days a week at that altitude. I figure if I keep that up, increasing my workouts weekly (distance and time) that I will be great shape to attack the JMT.

25 years old, male – I love life, music, the outdoors, my family, my girlfriend, and BPL.com! If anyone is interested in partnering up for this beautiful hike, by all means shoot me an private message and we can take the discussion off these boards.

To everyone else, good luck out there! I cannot wait

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Planning on hiking the JMT NOBO on Aug. 9th, (permit willing). I live in Sparks, NV and have been training in the gym so far due to weather and plenty of snow in the mountains. There is a site called TrailJournals.com that is another great forum for JMT and other trails. It is kind of cool to follow other hiker preparations and the varying expectations and experiences on the trail. Good luck to all on your JMT hikes this year, Robert.

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

Hoping to get a late July SOBO trip going with my two sons. My wife and father will join for four days somewhere in the middle.

Todd Williams
    BPL Member

@ctwillia

Locale: Depends on the weekend

Looks like u will have to get two permits if u want to do the JMT From Happy Isles and half dome http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,22060,22068

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Doc- From my understanding if you have the wilderness permit it counts for Half Dome. Alas, I have been wrong before…

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Jeff is correct.

It does seem from the NPS info that you need to say something at issuance (maybe they write on your permit or attach the separate HD permit) rather than just walk up with a Wilderness permit having never said anything.

As the NPS says, there will be bugs to be worked out over the summer…

For a JMT thru- it seems as simple as mentioning to the ranger you intend a side trip up Half Dome.

Does a Yosemite ranger still charge you the $1.50 "service fee" if you're already getting the wilderness permit anyway? ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I still think we ought to open up a scalper's market on Half Dome permits. NPS be damned!

–B.G.–

joseph a cruikshank

@bigfeet

Locale: maple valley, WA

i might be able to get away long enough for this. i've been wanting to do it for years now.

Dale Elleson

@elleson

Locale: Southern Nevada

Planning southbound JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal August/early September. 15 days + or -. Last year solo. Would enjoy company this year. Anyone interested?

Loren Mauch

@lorenmauch

Locale: CA-Central Valley

I am planning a SB through hike in August. Planning on two weeks with a quick resupply at VVR or MTR.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

If my wife and kids do their normal In-Law trip…

I'm planning something for about 2 weeks- probably late June. I was sort of thinking PCT from Kennedy or Horseshoe Mdw. to Mammoth.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Planning on a late July start (27th or 28th), for 13 days. Didn't get a permit, but hoping for a walk-up permit.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Jim W., Are you going to do a TrailJournal this year? I followed your journal in 2008. I am planning a JMT hike in August, so I doubt we would cross paths this year. I sometimes think I am crazy to do this trail again, but it is 'addicting' once you've done it. Best of luck to you. Robert.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Trail Journal…
    I spent a lot of time journaling before the trail, little after. Then last year I started one then switched to "fun with kidney stones" instead of a solo trip.

Maybe. We're doing a two-week trip with the kids (age 7 & 9) which should be more interesting reading to the parents out there than just another solo hiker guy wondering whether his rain skirt makes him look phat.

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

Got my SOBO permit for 7/27/10. I hiked the JMT in 2008 with a few guys I had never met before and had a great time. This time I'm bringing my two sons – 21 and 16 – plus my father will join in at Reds Meadow, and my wife will join in at VVR. When we reach MTR my father and wife will hike out to Florance Lake while the boys and I head down to Whitney. Should be tons of fun. See you all out there on the trail!

jason grosser

@turbolover

Locale: ventura california

I am planning my first thru hike with a my hiking buddy. sobo in the month of july. I don't have any permits or idea how we will get to yosemite from ventura, ca. and home at the end. I am thinking of a Resupply at the ranch and a total of about 30 trail days. any info on permits and transport would be greatly appreciated. thx jason

Ed Engel

@doorknob

If you can get someone to take you to Lancaster, you can catch this bus which will take you to Mammoth –
    http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/mammoth-lancaster.php
    then take this bus to Yosemite the next morning (click on the 120 route).
    http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

jason grosser

@turbolover

Locale: ventura california

Thanks ed.That info is very helpfull. I reserved a wilderness permit today for july 6 out of happy isles. this will be my first thru-hike and i am really excited. thx again. jason

Ed Engel

@doorknob

The bus from Lancaster will drop you off at McDonalds and the bus to Yosemite will pick you up in front of McDonalds. Across the street from McDonalds is a Forestry service campground which you can stay at if you don't want to stay in a motel. Have a safe trip and take lots of pictures.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools