Topic

Silnylon Rain Jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Silnylon Rain Jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Hello all,

I'm looking for a silnylon rain jacket to use as a poor man’s VB jacket for my winter trips this season. I know someone postrf up a cottage manufacturer that makes one but for life of me I can't seem to find it here!

Someone want to help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Chad

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Got a garbage bag? [grin]

Seriously, check AntiGravityGear.com: http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGRNJKT&cat=75

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I remember Equinox sold one. I actaully bought one and than returned it. They had tried to make it somewhat breakable with pit vents and a vent on the back. If wasn't very breathable as a raincoat but it might be too breathable for a VB.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Ah that's the one I'm looking for! Thanks!

I'd use a garbage bag but dang it I'd roll over in my sleep and rip the bejeasus out of the thing! (grins)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Say, in regards to the AGG silnylon rain jacket;

How much larger is the sizing? The site says it's cut larger to fit over clothing but I don't want to order a Large (I'm an XL, 6'2" and built like a bear) just to have it be too short in the arms and torso. Then again I don't want to order an XL and be swimming in the thing.

Dang I have a lot of needy questions don't I?

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

Hey Chad,

I believe both the AGG pants and jacket are going to be delivered to my house tonight. I'll let you know what I think of the sizing.

As you, I'm using them as a poor man's vapor barrier (though I like them in about every aspect over the more expensive, and heavier offerings by "official" VB clothing manufacturers). Also plan to use for those trips where a backup rain jacket / wind jacket is all that is needed for the occasional shower and some warmth around camp.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks Chris!

I can't wait to hear how they fit and what you think of them!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I too was interested in using the AGG Silnylon jacket as a VB. It is the lightest jacket I was able to find that would work (in theory) as a VB.

I wonder, is there any reason that the heavier and more expensive VB jackets would work any better than the AGG Silnylon jacket? Or are they just more expensive because they have an official "VB" label on them? I always thought that VB clothing was too heavy for most ultralighters, but imagine how light a cuben version of the AGG jacket and pants would weigh! You can make the jacket stupid light if you made it with a half zipper instead of a full zipper. Garments like this could prove VERY useful for an ultralight winter trek.

-Sid

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Hey Sanad,

I think they should work just as well in my opinion. The heavier VB stuff may have some extra weight due to more venting options, but mostly it is because they tend to use heavier, fuzzy-ish fabrics that feel good next to the skin.

Me, I like to use a baselayer anyways, so the fabric texture doesn't matter.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think that I was the one who reported on this several weeks ago. I was interested in buying one, and by the time I got around to it, they were unavailable (temporarily). So, I got a pattern and sewed my own. Later, I became more curious about some of the no-frills features of the AGG model, so I contacted them about size and color. After a little back and forth, it was decided that I needed a Medium size, and they could do it in Black rather than Silver-Gray. About a week later, I got it, and it was fine (and relatively inexpensive). The fit was much roomier than I had intended. I expected room for 1-2 wool shirts underneath it, and it was more like room for 3 wool shirts. But, for my purposes, that is close enough. If you intend to order one from AGG, I suggest you discuss sizing. If you really intend it as a vapor barrier, maybe you want it really snug.
    –B.G.–

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Having discovered that "breathable" rain gear doesn't breathe for me, several years ago I bought a "Brawny" silnylon rain jacket and pants (sold through AGG at that time–the new AGG jacket is its successor now that Brawny is no longer in business). I've been very happy with it as rain gear (when the weather is warm I just get wet; when it's cold and nasty I don't sweat in it). I also use it as a vapor barrier in my sleeping bag when it's below freezing at night. Yes, it's quite loose (I don't want 2 different jackets!) but it works just fine for me over a base layer.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Mary, you should get one of those for your dog!

Dogs don't sweat, they pant, so it ought to work.

–B.G.–

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"Say, in regards to the AGG silnylon rain jacket;

How much larger is the sizing? The site says it's cut larger to fit over clothing but I don't want to order a Large (I'm an XL, 6'2" and built like a bear) just to have it be too short in the arms and torso. Then again I don't want to order an XL and be swimming in the thing."

I tried on the L and XL of the AGG jacket a couple of weeks ago. I'm 6-2, 210, and the L was good, but I would probably choose the XL so it would layer over my down jacket in camp. In either case, I would ask that they add a couple of extra inches to the sleeve length. Not sure how easy that is to do, but all my height is in my torso and arms and I really need the extra length.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

The pants and jackets came. Overall impressions are good.

Initial nitpicks – instead of a droptail, the jacket has a "front-tail" … would prefer more coverage in the back. The sleeves are a bit short compared to other rain jackets I've used, but not bad. I also wish the elastic hem was a bit more tight, but it does seal completely even with just a t-shirt on. Then again, all of this stuff would add more weight

The sizing is definitely generous. I'm a pretty uniform medium, 6 ft, 165 lbs, and think I picked the right choice for the jacket. I can layer a light down jacket such as the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka underneath pretty easily.

Jacket came in @ 4.15 oz.
    Pants came in @ 3.4 oz. with nice long pit zips.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Pants came in @ 3.4 oz. with nice long pit zips."

Darn, I didn't even know that I had pits there.
    –B.G.–

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Hahahahah. Nice catch.

Let's try ankle zips instead.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

LOL, Bob!

My dog is mostly Lab, so his coat is pretty waterproof. He can be out for hours in the rain and his downy undercoat will still be dry. For this reason, giving him a bath, which I need to do this week, is a real pain! He certainly doesn't need a raincoat!

Chris, I'm glad to hear you like the AGG jacket and pants. I once was worried what I'd do when my Brawny Gear rain suit gives up the ghost (no problems yet). From your description, the AGG stuff sounds even better! Mine is an anorak and there are no zips on the pants, so I might be tempted to replace the Brawny Gear sooner than I need to!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Just don't let anybody live-pluck your dog's downy underside. Well, if it is a Lab, it won't let anybody!

–B.G.–

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I do not see rain pants on the AGG site. Did I miss something?

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Nope – I emailed asking specifically about them and he said he could do it for me.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

That sounds like George at AGG. Very accommodating.

You might be the beta tester for his new line of rain pants.

–B.G.–

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools