Topic

MLD Speedmid question.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Speedmid question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

I've been debating between the trail star and the speed mid for some time… I like the simplicity of the trail star but would like a shelter I can possible take both my kids with and the speedmid seems to fit this criteria. Im curious though, do you have to move all your gear back when you go in and out of a mid in the middle of a storm? Also would this shelter have plenty of room for 2 kids and adult if we were to be stuck in it for some time?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you want to sit up inside, a taller pyramid might be better. My buddy and I laid down during the afternoon hail and rainstorm.

The bottom of the Speedmid is 9 feet square, and it is set up with a 4.5 foot pole, so the sides come up at almost exactly 45 degrees.

A Black Diamond Mega Light or an MLD Supermid (or Oware, etc.) use a taller pole which makes them roomier. I have heard that these work for three people.

If you are going to open the zipper in the rain, move some gear out of the way and do it quickly. I had the foot of my sleeping bag towards the door and use a breathable bivy, so that wasn't a big deal for me.

The tent was very stable and comfortable in the storm. It wasn't really windy, but it was an exposed camping site. It just occurred to me that I never thought about the wind against the tent, even though there was a constant breeze through the small space at the bottom.

No condensation, though it was 40 degrees and raining.

The rain kept me awake for a while at 3AM because the tent fabric was so close to my head. On the other hand, rain on taut tent fabric is one of my favorite sounds. It reminds me that I am inside and dry.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Colin Ibbotson loves his TrailStar. Review here, with some nice photos that show the interior room: http://www.andyhowell.info/Colin-Ibbotson/Trailstar-review.html

Colin is an expert tarp camper, so your mileage may vary.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

thanks for the link to the review. It was very informational.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

How big are your kids? Three adults can easily fit in the Trailstar, if you move the center pole off center or you use a line to hang it. With little kids, I reckon you'd be fine.

Get a big mid for optimal Yahtzee space.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although I don't own one, I had always considered the Trailstar for it's reliability, flexibility, simplicity and light weight.

The fact that it doesn't require zippers/velcro always intrigued me. Zippers and such can be an issue in blowing desert sand and such.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

My kids are 8 and 3 years old so they are still pretty small. After seeing more pictures of the trail star it does seem like there should be plenty of room for the 3 of when its setup with the larger front door. Not to sure there would be if I had to lower it and have the smaller entrance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools