Topic

hike in snow camping spots in Northern California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking hike in snow camping spots in Northern California

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all!
    I am trying to find a spot to take some friends snow camping in Northern California. We are looking for a spot that would be a short snowshoe hike in (few miles), and a good spot for digging out snow caves.

Have any good recommendations for spots to go?
    Thanks
    Dan!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Find Highway 88, also known as Carson Pass. Just east of the pass, just at the bottom of the hill, is a place called the Red Lake Turnoff. You park there, and that is the beginning of a jeep road that goes due south called the Blue Lakes Jeep Road. You follow that for about two miles. Typically, X-C skiers stick to one side, and the snowshoers stick to the opposite side of the route. Somewhere around 2-1/4 miles in, you camp before going back uphill over Forestdale Divide. There is a semi-sheltered valley, sheltered by the high ridge of Elephants Back. In the middle of winter, look for the spot where there are remnants of old snow shelters.
    –B.G.–

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks Bob! Ill looked on a map and think I found the spot you are talking about. Its pretty close to kirkwood ski resort right?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Uhhh, yes, sort of. Kirkwood is the ski area several miles west of the pass. The Red Lake Turnoff is a couple of miles east of the pass.
    I used to lead beginner snow camping trips there once per year.
    There is another group that did beginner trips, and they would start from the Snow-Park lot at the pass, which requires permits. They would head only about a mile south of the pass and camp.
    There are areas around there where snow machines are allowed. Then there are other areas where they are not allowed. The rub is when the drivers don't care which area they are in.
    –B.G.–

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

thought I would resurrect this old thread and see if any one has any other favorites… I have done Echo, Alpine and Badger Pass area… looking to get out and make an igloo that could be used a few times… yes I am being very optimistic… would like to hike only about a 1/4 mile and hideout…

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Stampede reservoir is fun and easy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“…would like to hike only about a 1/4 mile and hideout…”

On the lamb from the CLM (California Liberal Mafia)?  They’ll find you, Igloo or no Igloo and they’re ruthless.  The only way to avoid them is building up enough carbon credits.  You could try arguing the Igloo contributes positively in that direction, but if it’s cold enough for an igloo, they’ll be mad anyways.

More seriously, if you want to avoid people, wouldn’t it make sense to hike farther in somewhere?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Justin: whaaa?

You must have been a delight at Thanksgiving…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was only joking around, and i’m probably considered more or less in the liberal category myself. This site could use a little more good natured levity. Our Teacher has quite a sense of humor btw.

But, i’m going to “not helpful’d” myself (in lieu of self flagellation) to feel sufficiently chastised..

; )

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Justin, sorry, I just realized the ‘hike a 1/4 mile and hideout’ was the set-up. This is exactly the kind of joke that I make all the time. My bad. Carry on.

(you can see that, if the set-up line is absent or not recognized, your post seems a bit odd. But it’s not!)

Anonymous
    Inactive

No worries Jeffrey.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Is Lassen too far? fewer people and tends to get more snow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools