Topic

MB Spiral Down Hugger vs. Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MB Spiral Down Hugger vs. Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

My dilemma: I want a quilt but the new spiral bag from Montbell looks like a really good compramise. At only $250 for a 1lb 4oz, 30deg, in size Long. I cant find a quilt that compares for under $300. Am I missing something. I keep seeing recommendations for a BPL Quilt, but I cant find such an animal and I suspect they have gone extinct. I really want a quilt, so if you can recommend a product in my price range or close to it, I would love to hear from you!

Adan

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Adan check out Enlightened Equipment Tim has a great reputation for making quilts.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I left out why I like the Spiral bag.

I'm 6'4", so the long fits me perfect. Quilts dont restrict arm movement which is key for me, but the spiral design of this bag seems to address that. Though I have not tested this concept, it receives mostly positive reviews. BPL's review shows great water repellancy. At 30deg I can stretch it to 20deg with my down sweater which is as cold as I usually encounter in the Sierras. It seems just as light as any quilt I've seen at this rating and I can still unzip it and use as a quilt.

Is there a quilt that will do all this for around the same price but for a lighter weight?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Bender, I will definitely check them out.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Tim Marshal is the owner of "Enlightened Equipment". He's also a long time member of BPL. Really nice guy. You can usually find his postings in the MYOG forum. He's very generous with his advice. Send him a pm with any questions you might have. He's been making his own gear for a really long time… Especially quilts.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

You might want to look at the JRB Sierra Sniveller long for your size…It is a relatively new offering specifically in the design request by several folk on this forum for improvements to the BPL top rated Alternative Sleep System in their State of the Market Review a couple years back, the original No Sniveller…52 inchs width head and shoulder to the hips , then tapering to 42 in foot… Under your $300 target.

Pan

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Just hours after posting this question to the forum, a No Sniveller went up for sale in the Gear Swap. According to reviews on this site, this thing is good to 20f and for under $200 I couldnt pass it up. I'll be testing the quilt (and my skills) this weekend in 25-30f temps. Thanks to everyone here for your feedback!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools