Topic

What’s your favorite rain jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s your favorite rain jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

I'm considering going from a wind shirt/umbrella to a rain jacket and would like to discuss the pros and cons of both.

I've recently purchased a Driducks jacket and had some success with it, but the cheap fabric and zipper have left me wanting more. I love the simplicity of the Driducks (no zippered pockets, etc), and the weight savings that accompany the lack of features. At 6.25 oz (men's xl), it saves me a whopping 6.05oz over my Golite Chrome Dome umbrella + Golite Ether jacket. What I haven't found is a good quality rain jacket with extremely breathable material that comes anywhere close to the Driducks weight due to the fact that the manufacturers seem to think consumers need lots of heavy features. If I go with the heavier full featured rain jacket, I lose the weight savings, the breath-ability of the wind shirt, and the flexibility of the umbrella.

So…what's your favorite setup and why?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I mentioned this one recently. Anti Gravity Gear offers a very simple sil-nylon hooded rain jacket. No frills. Very little breathability. I think they claimed 4.6 ounces or something. Mine came a little closer to 4.0 ounces. I think it was only $65+shipping.

As long as I control my underneath layers, I don't sweat it up. I'm happy with it.
    –B.G.–

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

marmot essence for the breath-ability and the weight

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Anybody know of an eVent Rain jacket with only chest pockets, and a helmet compatible hood? (I say helmet, not because I need one, but because I've got huge hair, and normal hoods don't fit me). Pit zips would be nice, but I figure I'll have to do that myself.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Montane Atomic DT 2.0

10.5 oz
    No frills
    packs small, size of an orange
    Entrant DT is almost as breathable as eVent, yet lighter and more packable

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Rab Momentum
    only chest pockets
    helmet compatible hood
    no pit zips
    12 oz

http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/shell/new_momentum_jacket—131/

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

I love my GoLite Virga. Very simple, very effective, very inexpensive, & very light at 7 oz.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Norrona Falketind Gore-Tex Pro. Westcomb Mirage SE a close second.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Thanks for all of the feedback.

B.G., the Antigravity jacket looks like the perfect simple design, but since it's made fron Silnylon, I can't imagine hiking in it without being very sweaty.

I've read that some of the WPB fabrics can wet through eventually. Has anyone experienced this and if so, with what fabric?

I'll be doing some comparison shopping and let you know what I decide.

Happy Trails! John :~)>

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don't know if they wet through but the DWR can wear out and without the DWR the fabric can't breathe and you sweat inside so much. I think most people who think they have had a jacket leak, have really just been wet with their own sweat. It is amazing how much you can sweat in a rain jacket and not even know it.

Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

Locale: The northwest is the BEST

Ive been happy with my tnf triumph, 5.5oz, find one on sale.

Ed Barkowski
    Spectator

@edbarkowski

MH Quark is excellent.

Zips, light, very well made.

A little hard to find (discontinued?) but seems to be on sale when you do.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Gore-Tex fabrics can eventually lose waterproofing from soiling. Wash your jacket with a detergent-free product (Ivory Flakes, Atsko Sport Wash), dry in the dryer on the highest setting recommended by the manufacturer, and treat with a DWR "restorer." The cleaning and heat drying alone can work wonders.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

I'm not sure how to paste my Excel spreadsheet onto this post…

It seems like TNF Triumph is a good choice, being the lightest WPB fabric at 5.5oz, but there's some controversy on this weight. Can someone confirm the actual weight/size? A bit pricey at $179, and it's a pull-over, meaning if useds as a wind shirt/rain jacket combo, you have limited control of heat.

Driducks is next in weight at 6.25oz (my actual xl version) and $14.79 is by far the least expensive. But, if you do any off trail, this won't work…fabric is very fragile.

Golite Virga weighs in at 7.6 oz for $80 (on sale on their website right now for $56). The "2.5 Layer Waterproof-Breathable Nylon Ripstop Fabric with DWR" fabric has some mixed reviews in breath-ability, which for my purposes as a dual purpose wind shirt/rain jacket, makes me wonder.

The Marmot Nano in GORE-TEX®Paclite® 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.2 oz/yd claims to weigh in at 8oz. This seems like a good choice, but costs $250 (found on sale for $175 at rockcreek.com – never purchased from this co)

From there, the weight jumps up to 10oz and above, which isn't an option for me.

Side note…Richard, $400-500 jackets? You must be much more well-off or dedicated than me :~)>

Thoughts or other suggestions?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Marmot Mica is a good option for relative featureless simplicity and low weight. Nice hood, adjustable cuffs, better cut and fit than the Driducks. No pit zips, just 2 zippered hand pockets which are kinda worthless under a belt though. The weight is a mere 7 oz. and you can find the jacket for around $100-$130 depending on you luck with the online retailers and discounts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Patagonia Specter

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Eugene,

The Marmot Mica looks like a great choice. I found a BPL post here http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17722

Also the Marmot Essence looks very similar…somehow I missed Weiyi Wang's earlier suggestion.

Both are similar in weight, breath-ability, and features. The Essence has a chest pocket and is made of 1.9oz/yd material vs. the Mica with the hand pockets (I assume that means 2 vs 1) and 2.2oz material…

Marmot claims the Mica as 7oz, but doesn't show the weight of the Essence. Since the Essence has only 1 vs 2 pockets, and is made with 1.9 oz/yd material vs. the 2.2 oz/yd material of the Mica, I would assume the Essence would weigh a but less. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks for all the help with this complicated subject :~)>

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My Men's Medium Essence weighs 6.4oz.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Here's what I've gathered so far (thanks Greg23)

Rain Jacket Comparison

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Nice, John!

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

I decided to try the Marmot Essence. We just picked one up on clearance at REI for my wife for $94.93. I ordered one for myself at REI outlet as well.

Her size L jacket (a bit large for her, but will fit nicely over her Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka), weighs in at 6.45oz (exactly 3oz more than her GoLite Ether wind shirt. This saved her 4.70oz off of her wind shirt/umbrella combo. She's going to try it out on a 15 mile day hike at Red Rock tomorrow. The nice thing about REI, if she decides it doesn't breath well enough to wear as a wind shirt, we can return it with no questions asked.

I'm also trying another method…I purchased a can of Tectron water repellent spray that I am applying to my GoLite Ether jacket (2 coats). This should make it mostly water proof (seems not taped), and keep the weight down to the current 4.65oz total. I plan to also test this during our hike tomorrow. If this works well enough to use in a rain storm, I'll probably return the Essence to save the additional weight (and cost).

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

John, what about this one, REI OXT Airflyte Running Jacket, made of eVent Fabric. http://www.rei.com/product/786903

According to Backpacker.com's review, it is 11 oz. REI does not publish the weight. It lacks a hood but it is so breathable. Very affordable for eVent, $160. I worry about the underarm area — I think perhaps a strong rain, one would get wet there.

Anyone experience with it?

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

Locale: Midwest

Just got my essence for 50 bucks on STP. Haven't had any rain that I wanted to go out in yet (did a 4 mile hike and caught a clear hour and a half pocket last weekend!)

Just checked, too bad they are out now.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I've been using an OR Zealot jacket (paclite gortex) since 2006. It's very minimalist in its features, but a size L is only 7.8oz which is the main reason I bought it. It keeps me dry, it isn't very heavy so I always carry it. What more do I need? Since I do most of my backpacking in the higher elevations out west or in cool weather when I encounter a need to use it, I don't feel the need for all those extra venting options of heavier jackets as I rarely feel hot inside it. Someone who hikes in different conditions might feel differently.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools