Topic

0.3 oz flashlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 0.3 oz flashlight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Here’s my homemade ultralite light:

It weighs 0.3 oz, and is bright enough to read by and illuminate my tent or walk with.

The battery is a 3.6V lithium cell, 1.1 Amp-Hr 1/2 AA.

The LED is a 3.6V ultrabright white LED. It has been carefully squished so that the leads touch the right part of the battery at the right time.

The “case” used to be on the end of a tube of chapstick, and was precision machined with a soldering iron.

The switch is a slide switch: Slide the case forward for off, or back against the battery for on. You can see on the side of the battery the plastic covering was melted to provide a contact point.

It lasts about 15 – 20 hrs per battery, and the voltage droop characteristics of the lithium cell is pretty flat.

Total cost was about $4.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Cool idea! Doesn’t one prong of the bulb have to touch the back end of the battery? I see some solder on the side of the battery. Is this to make contact with the negative end?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

impressed!! Awesome idea!!

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Looking at the second picture Jason, the ‘solder’ you see is actually where I used a soldering iron to gently melt away a very small part of the plastic insulation covering. One lead is bent to wrap around to the side of the battery and contact where you see the plastic cut away, the other lead is wrapped in a spiral immediately under the LED to contact the positive terminal.

I thought about making a bunch of these, but not sure how much interest there is.

MikeB

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Any idea what the battery life would be?

david chan

@davidc-1

Mike, “…. and was precision machined with a soldering iron.”

Thats my kind of engineering. Lets have more please.

David

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Hi David,
    Battery life depends on several factors, the biggest is the current draw of LED I put in it. The original should last 15 + hrs, as pictured.
    I have some brighter LED’s I got from Hong Kong which based upon the specs, probably go 8 – 10 hours, but haven’t exhausted a battery on them yet.

MikeB

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Hi David,
    I should have specified that was with a 2 stage 35W $4 soldering iron, using the high heat level. The part I liked the best though, was the perfect fit top I got at a trade show, from a company who was handing out chap-stick knockoffs with their logo on it.

I could start a business if anyone need a bunch of unused chapsticks without the tops. <(;->)

david chan

@davidc-1

Now you disappoint me Mike. I would have expected you to make ultra-lightweight backpacking gear from the topless chapsticks.

David

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Very clever design. Good thinking. I like it.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Tried it, but in the summer, the frame gets much lighter, but it also gets too soft when the chapstick melts and runs down your back. (but you’re butt and legs won’t get chapped) ;)

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

R0013762 Alkaline Battery 23AE (12V DC)

It is @50  at AKIHABARA   (TOKYO)

clip & wire     total  16g

for   PETZL TIKKA

It is good for 3days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools