Topic

Pillow prototypes :)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pillow prototypes :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I have been working on a few different pillows lately. Here are two that I really like.

This is my standard 1.3oz inflatable pillow with 1.2" of XP insulation on top with a momentum 90 cover sewn to the edges. Total weight is only 1.9oz. The cover adds warmth and feels great on bare skin.
    Kooka Bay HIP

The next pillow has 4.6oz of 750fp goose down with a momentum 90 shell. Weight is just under 5oz or 5.4oz with stuff sack. Dimensions are 17.5" x 8" with over 4" loft. I made this a little long so I can try folding it over if I want more support. This pillow was made today so I will be trying it out tonight.
    Kooka Bay DIP
    Kooka Bay DIP-Stuff

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Bender
    "The cover adds warmth and feels great on bare skin"
    Good point.
    Can you please give us the stored sizes ?
    Franco

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Franco the inflatable version rolls down to 3.5" x 2.5" I have the down pillow in a 7" x 5.5" stuff sack but it could definitely go smaller.

Chris Collins

@hobbitling

The pillows they provide on airplanes are great. About 6×12, with a soft, nonwoven fabric face. They compress down to the size of a soda can, and are very light.

I'm not encouraging you to steal them,….I'm just sayin'

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks Bender.
    3.5" x 2.5" isn't much bigger than my uninsulated Mont Bell. As for the down version I think that most would provably prefer to keep it as it is and let the pack content compress it to whatever space is available. Nice stuff.
    Franco

Rob Line

@dragonstar

I'm designing a similar pillow to yours but I'm considering a couple of differences. One is I might use two pieces of eggcrate foam back-to-back in the core for a bit more support, then let the down float around that. I'm also going to make the dimensions smaller, say 12 x 8, but use the same proportionate amount of down (about 4 oz). But I haven't actually made this theoretical pillow so thanks for showing yours. Does the down keep your head up?

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

I would like to see something similar to the luxurylite foam/inflatable pillow made. maybe a little lighter if its even possible. i like the idea and have tried it using a flexair duo and some bed foam. it was by far the most comfortable pillow i have ever used hiking, i just need to get a case for it… a weigh it for that matter.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

It had enough support lying on my back but I tend to sleep on my side so I need a little more. Folded over it was perfect. I think the next version will have the same amount of goose down but wont be as wide.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

The first one you posted seems like a great idea. I have always wanted to combine the lightweight structure of an inflatable pillow with the comfort of a foam pillow. I have been using the flexair dual chamber pillow with a piece of 1 inch thick bed cover foam and, while extremely comfortable and fairly light, is not quite as durable as i would like, have to keep track of the straw, and gets dirty easily. How much cushion does the XP add? Would it be cheaper, lighter, or more comfortable to add some foam similar to the bed pads? I am hoping to eventually get something like the pillow luxurylite makes, but without the need to keep track of a straw. Ideas?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Both of them seem like a great idea Bender.. I've always hated the idea of an inflatable pillow, as I hate hard pillows without any flex, but high FP down doesn't make a good pillow on it's own.. Seems like this is the trick, sewing to the edges of the HS nylon is obvious genius, I would have completely overlooked that as an option, making the "pointy things + inflatables == bad" equation.

edit: I'm tired and read the first post wrong.. How about making me an inflatable one with a layer of down on the top, like my fantasy pillow description above? ;P

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Derek the XP cover gives little extra support so the inflatable part does the rest. It really shines when you have it in contact with skin.

Javan I am sure I could do a down covered version if you are interested. The XP is sure a lot easier to make but the down will feel even more luxurious. The beauty of down would be even better compressibility. My standard pillows easily fit in a shirt pocket and the down version would as well.

The all down pillow the way I made it would be best for back sleepers. I would need to add a bit more down & shorten the pillow for ideal side sleeping.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'm interested. I'm multi-mode sleeper, which is what I tell myself to feel better about my toss-and-turns. I would ideally like, a not-so-thick inflatable with down covering..

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I told myself I wasn't going to get a pillow, but if you can do that inflatable down pillow for side sleepers, I'm going to be interested.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

If you are interested in something custom check out KookaBay and use the contact me form below. I love working on the custom stuff!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

I now have a nicely proportioned version of the goose down pillow. The first version was a bit awkward and did not fit with my ultralight theme. This one is just big enough at 10x7x3.5" and weighs 1.9oz. The shell is only .2oz of the total weight! Like most down pillows it does not offer huge amounts of support. When used with folded up clothing underneath you get support and cloud like softness. The DWR finish will come in handy for the occasional road trip drool :)

My sewing has improved!

Elisabeth Chaplin Philabaum
    BPL Member

@elisabitch-2

I'm all for the side sleeper inflatable pillow with a down layer… This is the missing part of my sleep system that I fantasize about!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Your latest sewing looks cleaner, but the sewing on the prototype was strong enough to survive a couple trips into my sleeping bag stuff sack which gets compressed like a mofo. I don't know how it didn't pop, but it came out unscathed both times. Kudos.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools