Topic

Glacier National Park Trip Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Glacier National Park Trip Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Get your UL Bear Spray.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Way to go, Travis, you scored! My thoughts:

1) Bug net probably isn't necessary, providing you sleep in a tent, and that you have a bunch of DEET for daytime. There will be some bugs, but not as many as in June-July.

2) I'm curious as to that "Waterton River" campsite. Is that a new one, or does it have a different name? I assume that it isn't Goat Haunt (you don't want to sleep there, as previously advised). Could it be that you will be at Kootenai Lakes, or maybe at the SW tip of Waterton Lake? Anyway, I'm wondering if you should bag hiking all the way down east to the Waterton Valley, but rather scheme a way to stay at L. Francis or even L. Janet. Ask when you pick up your permit and see if you can score a walk-up permit for Francis. It means a short hike from Brown's Pass, and then again back to Hole-in-the-Wall, but you'll not lose all that vertical only to have to gain it back the next day. I think that it would be quite cool to spend 3-4 days up high, and not have to descend down to the Waterton valley.

3) Have you figured out your shuttle between Bowman and Kintla Lakes? It would be smart to locate your car where your trip will end. That means doing some sort of shuttle at the start of your trip. It could take most of the day to find a ride and set things up, so you might plan on camping at your starting trailhead, just in case.

4) Your 30*F bag should work, assuming you have some layers you can put on in case it does get down to <30*F.

Edit: spelling

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Bob,
    Oh yes, I'll definitely have that!

Gary,
    The Waterton site is just west of the southern tip of the lake. Thanks for the advice on trying to get a walk-in at one of the other sites when I pick up my permit.

As far as my shuttle, I'm still trying to work that out, but if worst comes to worst, I could probably walk back to my car. Google maps says its about 16 miles, so I'd have to see if I can camp at "ROU," which is along the road between Kintla and Waterton.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I also plan on bringing my puffy. Is this overkill, or a good idea?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"…which is along the road between Kintla and Waterton."

Travis, you meant "between Kintla and Polebridge," right?

I'm thinking the odds would be fairly decent for you to hitch a ride from the campground/ranger station at the Kintla trailhead to at least the funky town of Polebridge. From there, you ought to be able to catch another ride to your car at Bowman Lake. It's a Saturday (Aug. 7), and those two lakes are a popular secret for the local canoe folks. You would want to leave your Kintla campsite early in the morning though, to allow enough time for the logistics of hitching. Plan to snag lunch at the store in Polebridge, where you can hang out and meet folks that could give you a ride to Bowman.

As for your puffy layer, you should check the weather when you first get to the area (when you pick up your permit–the ranger should know). Bowman, Kintla, and Waterton are fairly low elevations, but Boulder Pass and Hole-in-the-Wall aren't. You might be surprised with 50*F temps at night at the higher elevations, or it could drop into the 30's. It depends on the year.

I'll be doing some hikes in Glacier about the same time, but I'll be on the eastern side of the park, and then heading up to Banff and the BC nat'l parks. If I get a wild hair, I might possibly pop over to Kintla (never been there). So if you hear some guy shouting "Don't poke the cholla!" you'll know that your hitch hiking problem is solved. Don't count on it though, as I'm pretty sure that my schedule won't allow for an extra Glacier trip on the west side.

I hope that you have a superb time, Travis. Glacier is a special place.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The sidetrip off Brown pass down to Waterton will be cool. The waterfall at Lake Francis is one of the most stunning I've seen in all my life (my photo doesn't do it justice).

Lake Francis - GNP

The campsite at Brown Pass however is pretty lame – and if the same deer still lives there that did during 2004 and 2005 be sure to keep a close eye on all your food and gear as that deer has gotten it's slobber all over all my stuff on multiple occasions.

Headnet – that's an iffy call. Bring it if you can't stand bugs, don't bring it if you've got even the littlest bit of tough skin.

Puffy coat – absolutely bring this as you'll want it at night in the high country.

Kintla to Bowman – I've managed to hitchhike out of Kintla a couple times but expect to wait awhile as it's not very traffic heavy. Have your ride drop you off at the road out to Bowman and then hitch another ride from there out to Bowman.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Gary, yes, I meant Polebridge, but maybe I'll meet someone kind enough to bring be back to Bowman Lake from Kintla. Have fun on the east side!

Sam, puffy it is then. Since my mileage per day is relatively low, are there any other side trips you'd recommend?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools