Topic

Suggestions for GA, TN, NC or SC weekend trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Suggestions for GA, TN, NC or SC weekend trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

I am looking for a trailhead that is a reasonable drive from Atlanta, GA. Trip will probably be three days and I would prefer to average 6-10 miles/day. I am leading a small group of fairly inexperienced but very fit individuals. The trip is scheduled for March 5th-8th.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Three loops for your delectation. High enough for great views but low enough that snow is unusual and shouldn't be a problem unless a relatively freak snow occurs just before or during the trip. Need to plan where you're getting water as these mostly follow the ridgetop. In no particular order.

1. Fires Creek Rim Trail
    2. A loop incorporating the AT at Standing Indian.
    3. A loop using Slickrock creek, Fodderstack, Haoe Lead and Hangover Lead.

All three @ 25 miles. Should be perfect for three days.

Close as you can be to Atlanta and over a mile high. ( in places)

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Awesome!

Thank you for your suggestions!

Ryan

Ryan Luke

@rluke

bump

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Standing Indian is good as mentioned above. There's a 25.4 mile loop around that area using the AT, some FS roads, and the Kimsey Creek Trail.

You could probably also throw something together around the FootHills and Chattooga River Trails in SC.

There are a few 3 day loops in the Smokies as well with the easiest to get to being the Newton Bald Loop.

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Thanks Chris!

Sounds like I should try the Standing Indian loop!

Ryan

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

If you want to do the loop I did you can find more info on my blog. Take special note of the Kimsey Creek error I made and the link referenced in the blog. We did it as an overnight trip but you should be able to easily stretch it out to 3.

Standing Indian Loop

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

My next section of the AT is the exact area you hiked in, one more mile and Georgia is done (twice).

Another area to consider for hiking is the area around three forks. There is a loop with the Benton Mackay going up to Springer or some out and back on the AT to the North. Very nice country.

Also, the Chatooga makes a great out and back through I'm not sure there is a good loop if that's a requirement.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I just finished this loop Saturday. If you park at the Backcountry info and parking area near the campground you can go either way around the loop using the Long Branch and Kimsey Creek trails to connect with the AT. 24 miles total. No road walk that way.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Hello Chris!

Nice Blog! I'll probably get back to you on your experience with that. I might need some advice or benefit from your experience.

Hello Alex: I'd also recommend parking at backcountry info, going up Kimsey ( get any confusion there out of the way! ) and go around and come back down via long Branch. What a nice hike! The following photos were taken 12-29-09 just before New Years; right after a pretty big snowstorm especially higher up and further north. Check the photo of the view from the tower on Albert of the SE facing ridge of Clingmans Dome. At full size you can make out the Parking lot and big paved "path" leading up to the circular viewing tower. Nothing like winter for clear views!

Rhodo tunnel near Carters Gap

Small Rhodo Tunnel AT near Carters Gap 12-09

View of Smokies Clingmans Dome from Albert Tower

Albert view of Clingmans 12-09

Intersection At and Timber Ridge Trail

Intersection timber Ridge Trail and AT near Carters Gap 12-09

White Blaze near Carters Gap

The White Blaze near Carters Gap 12-09

PS: I guess everyone needs to go up the east or south side of Albert at least once…. But there is another route following the road @ 1/3 mile bearing left at Bearpen Gap and then follow the trail off to the right at the road's end. When you get back to the At you can double back right a short ways to the summit. And if you need it take a break at this facility conveniently located right next to the tower.
    "Comfort" Station Mt Albert

Albert John 12-09

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I am "familiar" with that "comfort station".

Nice shot of Clingmans Cola. Albert was clouded in this time for us but we had great views off of Standing Indian.

sunset SI

In this morning shot the first rays of the sun are on Shooting Creek Bald on the Chunky Gal trail, the Fires Creek Rim that Cola mentioned earlier, is in the top right of the picture.

fires creek

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools