Topic

Question for Montbell UL down inner jacket users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for Montbell UL down inner jacket users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm trying to figure out if the UL down inner jacket is going to be right for me.

Can those of you with experience with this jacket let me know at what temperature, if you were wearing ONLY a thin base layer underneath, would you be thinking, "I'm cold and I wish I had something warmer."

I am not looking to open a huge discussion about the technical factors on fabrics and physiology. I'm just looking for an average temp.

Thanks.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

if I am not moving the jacket is cold when the temps are around freezing. hat/gloves/etc

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

"I'm cold and I wish I had something warmer."

I would hit that point right around freezing.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

I find it to be somewhere slightly above freezing. 35 – 40 degree range. The slight discrepency probably comes about because I prefer to be warm, rather than on the edge, when around camp. With a windshirt or rain jacket over top, I find 32 perfectly doable.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Freezing or a bit below, but I never just wear the UL without my Montbell Peak jacket over it. So I'm usually wearing an Icebreaker 200, then the down inner, then my Peak shell for standing around camp I never use it while on the go.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Around freezing while standing with a wind shirt and below that while walking to about 20F

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I find I can stay adequately warm while walking down to about 25F, but if I'm sitting around camp I would probably slowly get cold below 40F.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I have the Mont Bell Down Inner Parka. It's a little warmer due to the hood, but otherwise is the same. I think most people should be warm down to freezing in it with a light base layer. Beyond that I think the variances are more individual and how warm the person is and likes to be. If it was going to be much colder than freezing, I'd have more on underneath, over it, or have a different jacket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For me, the jacket and baselayer combo keeps me comfy to about 30F when moving and 40F when at rest. Adding even a thin windshirt with hood will further boost warmth significantly.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I did a hike in the Sierra Nevada last year with my hooded MB UL Down Inner and, like Ben and others, found that I was good above 40° at rest and even a bit below 30° while moving. Anything else and I needed more layers. I, too, almost never wear just the UL Down Inner without a raincoat, unless I'm quite still and in camp or in completely exposed areas (to prevent snags on branches, etc.).

For further reference, going over Mono Pass (12.000') in sleet, 30° temps, and 30+mph winds, I had 2 baselayers, the down jacket, an eVent rain jacket, both hoods up, a Buff covering my face, gloves, pants, and GoLite Reed rain pants…and while hiking, I was pretty much balanced between cool and warm. But that was going downhill. :-)

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I'm usually on a colder side of the range than the most… i felt like that above the treeline at 20 F with 30mph winds wearing it under my goretex shell, when not moving.

i took this jacket as my insulating layer on a 14,000ft climb, if that tells you anything. I didn't have to put it on unless i stopped.

last weekend i wore it over a powerstretch base and i was pretty comfortable at about 40F at 11pm camping.

my favorite piece of gear. i take it everywhere. I do suggest you get a parka instead of jacket. it feels much warmer with the hood on.

also makes an excellent layer to boost the warmth of your sleep bag.

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

35 degrees would be the cutoff for me.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I also have the UL Parka with the hood and I have the pants. I normally wear these under my precip or a wind shirt but they seem very cozy at 32 degF to me. I think they would be too flimsy to just wear exposed unless you are really careful.

I actually bought these to wear in the sleeping bag though when the temp drops below 30 deg. So far I have not been able to stand wearing both the parka and the pants in my 30 deg bag for an extended time. They are just too warm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools