Topic

Fry Pan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fry Pan?

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I looked at the tfal griddle before settling on an imusa nonstick pan.

Its 4.3oz, 6"ID, 1" deep and maybe $5-10.

Ive used it to cook eggs, bacon, gravy starter,pancakes…

eggs

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> you put one of the smooth round river rocks into the hot embers to pre-warm it

I thought river rocks in fire could be dangerous?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you pick the right kind of river rocks, apparently it is not a problem.

Besides, what could go wrong? Maybe the rock might crack open.

–B.G.–

G H

@notlight

Locale: Midwest

Old thread. But, I really like the MSR flexlite. Ti fry pans just don't work. Flexlite is just thick enough. A little bit of foil is enough for a diffuser. The thing about the flexlite vs other frypans, is that you only need one pan because the high sides on the flexlite make it a good pot for boiling as well.

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

I use a super light 6 oz 8″ titanium frying pan I got on Ali Express for $20 bucks. You can season titanium in the oven just like you would cast iron pan. Works perfectly and creates a non stick surface. (avocado oil rubbed on (THIN) with paper towel, place pan upside down in oven on 500 for an hour, repeat many times to build up a layer of non stick surface)

I have experimented with different solutions to keep food from burning in titanium.

The simplest, lightest, and best function I have found is a .1mm piece of copper foil.

works perfectly, costs a few bucks:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32846449941.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dP58n81

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Now that IS a new and good idea. (Well, for me anyhow.)
    I wonder whether aluminium cooking foil might also work?
    Thank you.

Cheers

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

I’ve always used a cheap aluminum cake pan either round or square. The trick is finding a nice light one that is suitable for using with a potholder. They can be extremely light and work well with the caveat that the only thing I ever use mine for is fish.

I have also, in a pinch, used aluminum foil to cook small fish directly on a stove. I wrapped them up completely in the foil and they came out great.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools