Topic

Fry Pan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fry Pan?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Bill (L.Dog) Garlinghouse
    BPL Member

@wjghouse

Locale: Western Michigan

I've trimmed my cooking system down to the point where I'm just boiling water. But, I'm thinking I oughta be able to fry up some trout, or eggs, or stir-fry some veggies … Make me a grilled cheese samwich …

I've looked at several posts here and have learned some generalities – Ti doesn't spread heat too well, resulting in hot spots – Unless one's careful about heat and keep things moving … Al is heavier, but cooks better. Some of the coatings peel. Foods stick to those without coatings, making cleanup hard.

What's a boy to do?

So, I've looked at a few pans out there:

Primus Litech Frying Pan, Al, 6.5" base, 8.7" top, 9.4oz $22 – Heaviest, has sloping sides, a fairly narrow base. Probably great for flipping food around, & cooking eggs, but too small for a brookie.

MSR Flex Skillet Al w/Duralite DX, 9", 7oz $25 – Wide with straight sides. Harder to sling stuff around, but a small fillet, or several scones will fit well.

REI Ti Ware Nonstick Ti, 7.5", 4.9 ozs $49.5 – Light, Expensive, Has sloping sides, but folks claim it doesn't spread heat well (I understand that this is same as Evernew?)

MSR BlackLite Frying Pan, Al w/ blacklight coating, 7.25", 5.4 oz, on sale at REI-Outlet for under $10 – Reviewers claim this coating scratches and peels easily (Maybe why the changed?)

So, I'm torn between three possibilities – The REI Ti, The MSR Flex, or something I haven't considered…

What do ya'll think?

BPL Member

@wjghouse

http://www.traildesigns.com/evernew.html#pots-other has a bunch of Ti options from Evernew.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

If I were to go for a backpacking fry pan, I would definitely go for one of the Evernew sets:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ECA403&cat=99

or

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ECA417

or even bigger, depending on your size needs.

No backpacking pan is thick enough to spread heat effectively, whatever material it is made out of. Titanium is less heat conductive than aluminum, so all things being equal it will perform worse. But let's be honest, even the cheapest non-stick pan meant for kitchen use will outperform any of these pans.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I use a hard anondized fry pan made by GSI. I tried non-stick Ti a couple of times and found it too hard to make things like pancakes. The aluminum is way better and worth the slight weight increase if you want to cook real food.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

but the most efficient backcountry frying pan is from Jetboil, which has heat exchanger fins. Mates with PCS (and new Flash) and GCS but not Helios. Too heavy if you trim your map corners or don't have a Jetboil set to use it with. The Primus Litech mentioned above is pretty good too.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"If I were to go for a backpacking fry pan, I would definitely go for one of the Evernew sets"

Perhaps, but I already have TI pots sufficient for solo and couple camping. I'm looking to supplement that with a decent pan … And, of course, I want it all – good cooking, light and inexpensive!

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"I use a hard anondized fry pan made by GSI."

I looked at their site. Their Pinnacle 8" Al pan looks like a nice cooker, but is 13 oz. They make a hard anodized pan sold as part of a kit that looks like it might be interesting. Wonder if they'll sell it separately …

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The light fry pans I've used have been pretty horrid, all things considered. Thin little things don't weigh much, but also don't cook well. The MSR Flex skillet might be good. I've never weighed a cheapo little "box store" nonstick fry pan, but I bet if you took the handle off it'd be pretty light. Gotsta have a thicker bottom. If you like backcountry cooking and baking, you might consider the Banks frybake; NOLS gets a lot of use out of them, I gather. No personal experience w/them, but if an institutional program gets good use out of them…

http://frybake.com/store/

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have the nForm Gourmet 8" fry pan. It came as part of a set with a 2L pot, lid, gripper handle, and cash/wash basin. The pan is 5.2 oz and the gripper is 2.2 oz.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"If you like backcountry cooking and baking, you might consider the Banks frybake."

Alpine Fry-Bake Pan with lid, 8", Pan w/ lid = 10oz. $61 or $56 for a cosmetic second. Use like a dutch oven … Thanks! Me likey …

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Kinda small at 4-3/4", but I've seen a couple of really positive reviews of a T-Fal "One Egg Wonder" fry pan. Weight is approx 6 ounces and available at Wal-Mart. Tinny at MBD has a pretty good video review at http://minibulldesign.com/myadventure/index.php?blogid=1&archive=2010-01 Go down to January 13th's videos.

I'll probably pick one up.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Not much use when you are catching fish 8" and above.

As a fly fisherman who loves fresh trout for lunch everyday in the backcountry, I found that many of these lightweight pans are just too thin for any serious cooking. I tried the MSR flex and found that after a couple of uses it began to bow in the middle due to the heat of my stove, that got promptly return.

I then went for a Ti fry-pan but that was even worse for reasons already mentioned and at $40+ the price is outrageous for something that is just useless.

Probably the best lightweight fry-pan that I have used was REI's 8" Chefware (11.4oz). My father-in-law prefers the extra weight of a "real" fry-pan that he picked up at King Soopers.

My advice however is to take your stove to a retailer and test out the different pans to make sure that they fit and are stable. Nothing worse than needing to constantly hold the handle to stop it from tipping over due to the size of your stove and heavy handle.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

REI has (or had, a couple years ago) a 6" corrugated aluminum heat disperser which exactly fits the Evernew coated fry pan. Pan=4.8 oz, disperser=2.6 oz. The disperser eliminates scorching your scrambled eggs, as it efficiently distributes the heat over the entire bottom of the fry pan. Keep in mind that the heat disperser seems to lessen the stove's fuel efficiency (heat is lost somehow).

If you plan on doing a fair amount of simmering, frying, or making pancakes, you might want to get a stove with a wide flame head, such as Coleman's F-1 (5.7 oz). These tend to spread the flame over a greater area (a wider hot spot?). With an Evernew fry pan or pot, disperser, and F-1, I find I can cook most anything I want to without scorching it. There's an obvious weight penalty with this setup, but on most overnighters it won't be too much of a problem. Sometimes, the 7.5 oz. added weight is worth it, when one can have real food for a change. It's not an SUL or UL approach, but I think it can still occasionally be part of a lightweight kit, depending on your culinary priorities.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

I posted videos about the one egg wonder almost 2 years ago on YouTube. Showed a bunch of different ways to use it as a baker….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtZJ8qrFBE

At the time Tinny poo poo'd my idea along with my stove. Now suddenly he's calling it a "must have". Whatever, the point is, it's great when you're by yourself but it's size is hard to deal with for things like pancakes. You have to keep cooking and eating one at a time and so forth. But at 4 ounces, its ok.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use the lid to a GSI Backpackers set (the same nForm mentioned up above). It is light, thin and more so: works well.

You want a super slick surface for best results. As well, for canister stoves a heat diffuser can work wonders on even heat. You can make diffusers out of pie plates even……

The one egg wonder does work but it is a small pan. It has thickness which does prevent burning though.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"REI has (or had, a couple years ago) a 6" corrugated aluminum heat disperser …"

Seems I've seen such an animal, but I can't find it now… I'll have to keep looking …

JR Redding

@grinchmt

a 10 dollar GSI "Toaster" works just as well and can be dual use.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=4&sc2=38&p=65610&lu=%2flist.aspx%3fc%3d4%26sc2%3d38&

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

If you already have a pan that tends to burn you might try bringing along a can of sterno or equivalent. The flame pattern is weak and wobbly across a wide area. I think this makes up for whatever limitations a thin pan may have. I've cooked spam on uncoated AL pans with success because of the weak flame. The extra fuel does weigh a few ounces but it might be worth a shot.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

""REI has (or had, a couple years ago) a 6" corrugated aluminum heat disperser …"

Seems I've seen such an animal, but I can't find it now… I'll have to keep looking"

Here's one:
    http://www.packitgourmet.com/Heat-Diffuser-p369.html

Width – 8.25” diameter
    Weight – 6.4 oz (with handle)
    5.1 oz (without handle)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Nah, William–all those things are too heavy. I'll try to hit my Boulder REI tomorrow and see if those 2.6 oz. guys are still on the rack. If so, I'll post here and see if you want me to send you 1 or 2 of them. Thick aluminum foil/plate, as Sarah mentioned, should work OK, but these are the way to go.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"I'll try to hit my Boulder REI tomorrow and see if those 2.6 oz. guys are still on the rack"

Thanks. The closest REI to me is three hours away. Was there a couple days ago, but this wasn't on my radar.

I saw a design on Overstock.com (now outtastock) that looked like one or two layers of stainless window screen material in a metal frame. Looked like something a DIYer could build.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/West-Peak-Even-Steven-Camp-Stove-Diffuser-2-pack/530008/product.html

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

My suggestions only help if you can build a fire but:

Trout is best cooked wrapped in aluminum foil over some hot coals. Squeeze some lemon juice(if you like it) on the fish, wrap it up and check every few minutes for the eye balls to turn white(indicator that its done). The skin will be hard and will pull right off and you have little to no clean up.

I also fry bacon, country ham, potatos and make fritters on aluminum foil. Take a metal coat hanger and form it into a circle with the hook as a handle. Then put the aluminum foil folded over two or three times on the coat hanger by pinching it around the rim. Works great, is much lighter than a frying pan and cost almost nothing.

Joseph

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I agree with Gary and Theron. One of the problems with LW canister stoves is the concentrated flame pattern. A lazy sterno (or, for that matter laminar alcohol stove) flame, or wood flame/charcoal heat works much better with these thin pots for heat distribution. A cat-can stove + fuel weigh very little. Wood (if it is possible where you hike) makes a nice ambiance too.

BPL Member

@wjghouse

"Kinda small at 4-3/4", but I've seen a couple of really positive reviews of a T-Fal "One Egg Wonder" fry pan."

I checked out the vids, and this looks like a cool solution for a soloist! I like it. I wonder how much that handle weighs …

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I don't have one (yet) so this is just me thinking aloud; but it seems like you could cut up the fish to fit the pan and just cook multiple batches. Multiple batches would require more fuel, but I very much doubt the weight of the extra fuel would come close to the extra weight of a larger skillet.

I'm also wondering about drilling out the rivets that keep the handle on and substituting something lighter. If you install the new handle with wing nuts, it would also be removable and require less pack space.

I don't remember the price Tinny quoted; but I recall thinking it was really inexpensive. Sounds like experiments are called for!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools