Topic

Piute Pass to Bishop Pass in July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Piute Pass to Bishop Pass in July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I'd like to make the loop the week of July 4th..

With luck, the snow / pass piece won't be an issue..

However, I am concerned about crossing Evolution creek that early in the season .

Any thoughts / comments ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Scott,

There's a lot of winter to yet unfold. You might keep your eyes on the monthly DWR snow surveys and make your decision on the viability of early July based on the last one, which will be on or around May 1. You might also monitor the PCT list, since northbounders will be obsessing on earliest departure dates and discussing high Sierra snow data and field reports with considerable zeal.

http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

Happy planning!

Rick

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Approximately where did you expect to cross Evolution Creek?

I've never gone that direction before. I went south to north on foot in August, and south to north on skis in April. It's fabulous scenery in any month.

–B.G.–

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I went from South Lake to South Fork of Big Pine Creek July 4 weekend of 1983. The route was Bishop, Potluck, Cirque, and South Fork passes. Except for the first couple and last couple of miles I didn't set foot on anything other than snow or rock. I walked right across the Palisade lakes.

Conditions in July are highly variable- It can look like winter one year and summer the next. Check out the snow reports after April 1 to see the total snowpack, then again about June 1 to see melt rates.

Snow sensor data is here:
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC

Bishop Pass snow sensor:
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?s=BSH
    Blackcap Basin snow sensor:
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?s=BCB

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

With this snowfall that is happening this year. July 4th weekend might be kind of tough, unless you are skiing

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

Bring trekking poles and Id think youd be fine keeping three points of contact. I know what you mean though, Its very swift with a nice waterfall very close by just to make it more exciting. I saw people cross streams in Crocs and was very envious too.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I think you can cross further upstream than where the JMT crosses. It seems to spread out rather wide with a sandy bottom.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I took that route when I hiked the JMT as well. My only concern with mentioning that as an alternative is that if there is more snow this year than last it could be very deep. I was up to my waist where I crossed although it was very slow moving water. This was mid July last year. Pick your poison I guess.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Scott,

At the standard Evolution Creek crossing, when heading south, there is sign that says that if the water is too high, you should cross further upstream at the meadow. Note that I did the same hike, but in August last year. Check it out at:

http://www.caseyandemily.com/Backpack/2009/08_NLaketoSLake/NorthLaketoSouthLake.htm

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Was up in that neck of the woods last 4th of July. Crossed evolution creek a bit upstream from crossing without any problems. This year, who knows, the area just got almost 4' of snow since I was snowshoeing over Kearsarge two weeks ago. At this rate there could be a snow bridge across evolution creek. Another option would be to go cross country from evolution lake up to Darwin Bench, across Alpine Col into Humphry's Basin and to Piute Pass. This would give you a combo trail and x-country. The snow actually could make a crossing of Alpine Col easier than last year. Just a thought.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

As always, very much appreciate the commentary !

I pretty much knew that I wouldn't have a firm answer until the Spring, at the earliest, however, I thought I'd ask thinking that maybe someone had done the same trip @ the same period of time..

Accordingly, again, I did get some good commentary!

So… thanks guys !!

Dave T

@davet

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Yep.. agree !!

Again, I'm not so much concerned about the snow .. It's that Damn creek that's got me hesitating ..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've done three similar loop trips, going clockwise over Bishop Pass or else Echo Col, going through upper Evolution, and then turning east up over Darwin Bench and up and over Lamarck Col. That takes you down to North Lake.

April 1 is the best ski season for it, and July 20 is the best backpacking season for it.
    –B.G.–

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools