Topic

BPL Absaroka Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Absaroka Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I have to say that I wasn't too excited yesterday, but my anticipation has grown over night. I suppose part of my disappointment was based on the unreasonable (and uneducated in terms of gear design)expectation that BPL would come out with some miracle pack; fully framed, 4000ci, compactable down to 2000ci w/o sacrficing structure, waterproof, capable of brief levitation during particulary hard climbs, convertible into a 35sqft bear-proof shelter, etc. All for about 16oz.

It's definitely intriguing as a winter pack. Right now, I can fit my winter gear into my GG Gorilla, which only has a 39 liter pack bag and 6 liters worth of pockets. That includes a 15 degree equivalent quilt combo and enough wearable insulation to take me down to zero or below. Give me another 6 liters of bag and 2-4 liters of pockets,(I love pockets) and I think I'd be set for just about all my winter camping needs for about 2lbs.

The modularity of the pack is really appealing. If the pack could get down into the 1.5lb range frameless for summer camping, it might just replace my Gorilla and reduce my pack collection to one, which would be awesome from a gear storage and lightweight living philosophy perspective.

And you can even count me in the minority that kind of likes the oragne color.

The big question will end up being what they put in place of "TBA" in the price column.

David Ure

@familyguy

"but more at climbers"

From one climber to one who is not. No, this pack is not aimed at climbers.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

As a non member, with an interest in the pack, it is poor marketing by BPL to limit the 'spin' about an upcoming product by making it viewable to only members via the link in the OP. My interest will naturally be guided elsewhere, to prototypes and packs I don't have to pay to see.
    Watch Ron at MLD do it right about upcoming gear before it hits his shop.
    fred

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

This looks interesting, I like the modularity idea. It would be great for someone who was gradually lightening up. The pack could haul 40 pounds of gear but if they get lighter the pack is still reasonably light. Not to get off topic but this is more the kind of pack I would have envisioned Golite turning out for the mass market.
    I might wait for the new Artic Packs though. If I recall they were hauling up to 60 pounds in the Artic Dry Packs. I would kind of like that capability if I were dragging my (feature) family along on a trip.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

While we're thinking about marketing what if BPL offered a nice discount for first time members buying this pack? Increase membership and sell packs. Through in a slick "How To" DVD that explains lightweight backpacking techniques in a way that your average weekend warrior can understand so people start really understanding how UL works.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Some housekeeping notes in response to the forums:

1. We don't review our own products. That's not going to change. Neither Roger nor Will nor anyone else is going to get to review this pack for BPL. It may end up in a comparison table showing specs like weight and volume somewhere, but beyond that, our policy still stands that we don't review our own gear.

2. The photos show the orange brighter than it really is. It's actually a pretty dirty, subdued orange. The color may still change, or two colors may be offered, or it may stay the same. Emphasis on "may" in all cases ;)

3. I'm not interested in building a pack for the masses, or the "public" or any other group other than the BPL community, so I'm not keen on marketing the pack's cache with "public leaks" or conducting this launch the way that MLD or GoLite or anyone else does it. The members pay the price to keep this site going and I'm not terribly apologetic about giving them first looks.

4. This pack design came in response to member's requests for features, that were in response to a prototype that I'd made last fall and featured in the "24 Hours" Hyalite video episode. So, this pack reflects a particular project with particular design objectives and is not intended to reflect a product that will appeal to all people for all things. HOWEVER of all of the packs that I have on the development map, this one will probably be the most VERSATILE and adaptable to multiple scenarios. You cannot carry 30 pounds in comfort with a frameless silnylon sack without a hip belt, but you CAN carry a pack like this with an SUL load and *gasp* guess what? Your "performance" on the trail will not be affected by the fact that you are carrying 1 or 2 extra pounds on your back! Did I say that?! :)

5. Modularity is an important component of this pack, for a number of reasons. First, you all have different body types, shapes, needs for padding, etc. Second, I am developing a smaller size for youth that will be targeted at Scout-aged kids (9-13+) and released a little later, and the modularity is needed to address their growth requirements.

Anyway, random thoughts. Good discussion on feedback as well, keep it coming.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>Second, I am developing a smaller size for youth that will be targeted at Scout-aged kids

That is a great idea.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I'm a big fan of the adjustable kids pack idea. My little brother (11 years old) carries a SUL type load but sometimes he likes the extra comfort of his 3 pound Dana Designs pack more than a 1 pound frameless pack. I always felt like a pack with a frame and padding was much more beginner friendly.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I don't get the slant on the pocket tops. It seems like wasted material to me. Also, without adding any weight, I'd like to see a quick on the go stow for hiking poles like Osprey came out with. It looks really convenient, but I don't want to pay the Osprey weight penalty.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Ryan,

From the pics it looks like the sternum straps are adjusted by sliding up and down on some type of track. That is sick!!(good)

-Tim

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Doesn't the golite ion have that adjustable sternum strap?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've got used to having a big mesh pocket on the back of my packs. I couldn't see myself buying a pack for backpacking with that didn't have one.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

"on the trail will not be affected by the fact that you are carrying 1 or 2 extra pounds on your back! Did I say that?! :)"

NICE! It had to be said Ryan.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Keith,

I'm not privy to the design path of this pack, but assume the diagonal openings are to allow gear and supplies to be retrieved and replaced on the go. In my experience this small touch makes a big difference in my frustration index. The other thing I notice is there are no compression straps crossing over the pockets, another common design no-no. Could one stow poles there on the go? Hard to say without a real-world fit test but I agree it would be great if it proved possible.

The pockets' very size is encouraging.

Cheers,

Rick

David Ure

@familyguy

""on the trail will not be affected by the fact that you are carrying 1 or 2 extra pounds on your back! Did I say that?! :)"

NICE! It had to be said Ryan."

That's it, I am selling my tarp.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

"From one climber to one who is not. No, this pack is not aimed at climbers."

You clearly must be unable to pay 100% attention while reading. Click on the link in Miguel's post. Scroll to purpose. Read *very* carefully. Yes, right there it says climbing gear.

I like the colour, and would welcome it if it stays. Orange is a good colour! Making a model for kids is also a very good move (also business wise), growing the future generations to become lightweight backpackers is the way to go.

David Ure

@familyguy

This is not a climbers pack – I am referring to what you said, not any marketing spin that someone else wrote.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Did I hear this from BPL????? "Your "performance" on the trail will not be affected by the fact that you are carrying 1 or 2 extra pounds on your back!"
    GASP is BPL going to the dark side?!!!
    Okay in all seriousness I agree. Actually thats one reason I like BPL most people here are level headed. Sures its a fun challenge to shave ounces but carring 15 pounds instead of 14 pounds probably won't change much of anything.
    By the way I like the orange color.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

OT: Must have misunderstood you then, David – sorry if it sounded harsh, it wasn't meant that way =)

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Hendrik – I did not mean, nor take any offence.

Cheers.

David Ure

@familyguy

I can't resist providing a link to a previous thread. About 1/2 way down there is a discussion with Sam and Mike of BPL regarding the comment made that a 37oz pack is too heavy for backpacking. All in good fun, of course:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22996&startat=20

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Just finished reading the linked thread and I couldn't agree more with you David. Well put response regarding what is or isn't considered a "heavy" pack. Thanks for the link, good reading and input as usual.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

So, is there going to be a thread titled 'Ryan Jordan has officially lost his mind' ? :>) I can't agree with him more of course.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My only complaint, in the context of winter use, is that I see no way to carry skis."

David,

It looks like you could insert them in the side pockets and lash them together above the top of the pack. Possibly add a piece of lightweight bungee cord looped around the skis and attached to the frame on both sides where it is exposed at the shoulder strap attachments, if you needed a little extra security. Just a thought.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good response by Dan McHale ; ).

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools