Topic

GooseFeet Website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals GooseFeet Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

This is the official introduction of my new business: GooseFeet Down Socks. I make high quality down socks and will soon make a shell to go over them.

GooseFeet

Review by Jolly Green Giant

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Best wishes and congratulations on your new enterprise!

The website is very nice.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I'll probably be ordering a pair soon!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi ben

But the photo of the goose on your web site shows that its feet have no down on them at all???
    :-)

Good Luck
    Cheers

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Roger,

Yeah I know, I've though about trying to edit that picture to show that goose wearing a pair of my socks….

Just tried to come up with a name that would convey the material and the use in one phrase… :-)

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

A picture of them in their stuff sack would be helpful.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Justin,

When I get home Friday, I will post more pictures on the website. Unfortunately on the product page, my website builder only allows one picture per product.

– Ben

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Justin,

You can also reference the pictures of my prototypes on this thread. There is a picture of the stuffsack there, although it is made from momentum90 now, and has a drawstring at the top.

– Ben

robert brown
    BPL Member

@man227

nice start , looking good, all the best :)

Todd Williams
    BPL Member

@ctwillia

Locale: Depends on the weekend

eh?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Goose feet… Duck feet with bunions… Whats Really goin' on?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Ben how do I post a tesimonial on your web page? I got mine tonight and will try them this weekend and would like to leave a full report when I get back. Thanks Jack

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I've though about trying to edit that picture to show that goose wearing a pair of my socks….

Like:
    Goosefeet2

Cheers

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Yeah! Thanks Roger! I'll put that up immediately.

– Ben

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I ordered a pair for my wife .. who has the infamous " cold feet syndrome"… Duirng the day, a pair of wool socks and her shoes keep her feet warm… HOwever, when goes to bed at night .. ice cubes on the feet.

They arrived yesterday and , upon inspection, they appeared to be everythig as advertised..

At bedtime, she slipped them on and a BIG smile spread accross her face … (so far so good !)

As we got up this a.m. .. the first words out of her mouth were . " these are great ! " .. Comfy, light, warm,nice fit, breathed well, etc..

Short version .. Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Ben,
    How much down fill is used in each sock?

Thanks,

-Sid

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Sid- from Ben's link above, "I will be using .5oz of down in each sock"

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Sid,

Brad is correct, although I begun to think that the XL's need to come standard with a little more to maximize their loft, and the XS's and S's maybe need a little less, although I will definitely get anyone's permission before I put more or less down fill in. Also, you can order extra by the .5oz if you think you need more than what is standard on any pair.

– Ben

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ben

Hey, hardly a GOOD rendering! I only had a few minutes to do it (bed-time), and just hacked. Need better pics of the booties to do a good job – close-ups at correct angles.

Cheers

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Justin,

Here is a picture of an official pair in the stuffsack that will be shipped out in a couple of days.

socks_stuffsack

– Ben

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I finished the prototype shell for the down socks tonight. The finished weight of a size large is 1.8oz. Along with a pair of size large socks, the total system weight is 4.1oz including both stuffsacks.

GooseFeet

– Ben Smith

vineeth madhusudanan
    BPL Member

@vineethm

Locale: Pacific North West

Ben, Do you know how the warmth of these compares to other offerings? How does half an ounce of down per sock compare to the WM booties?

Thanks!
    Vineeth

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Looks good. You just need a size 14 for some of us.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Vineeth,

I only know that my down socks have a total loft of about 4 to 4.5", more if you get the extra down. I have never owned or handled any other down booties, so I don't have anything to compare them to. Please check out Will Rietveld's review of the Western Mountaineering booties for an idea of how much warmth they might have in different situations. Maybe others who have some experience with other brands can chime in about relative warmth.

Andy,

I do a custom XXL (Men's size 14 – 15) for $5 extra. Send me a PM or email me at [email protected] if you want more info.

– Ben Smith

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Ben, these are exactly what I've been looking for! I'm just waiting for colors! With a perpetually-shedding blond dog in the tent with me, black is not the best color. It's also hard to find when laid against my mostly black sleeping bag.

The weight of the down socks plus the waterproof shells is less than the weight of my current fleece sleeping socks plus my Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes. And I'm sure they'll be a LOT warmer!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools