Topic

2011 AT Thru Hike Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2011 AT Thru Hike Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    William Glazer

@ukulelebill

Locale: Northeast Ohio

Here's my always changing gear list for a 2011 NOBO thru-hike of the AT. Please any and all critiques welcome. I love to hear new ideas about how to lighten my load. I weigh the pros and cons of these suggestions to make my gear list. For example, I could easily choose a lighter spoon/spork but I like the length and strength of the Light My Fire Spork XM. This is example of my own personal balance between UL and UL-lux.

2011 AT Thru-Hike Gear List

I also have a 14oz Martin Soprano Ukulele. Any thoughts about value versus weight on this item would be appreciated.

Happy Trails–
    Ukulele Bill

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Starting on the trail about when? (what month)

William Glazer

@ukulelebill

Locale: Northeast Ohio

Nothing definite on exact timing yet, but looking at start date of 2nd or 3rd Monday in March. You planning on being out there?

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I'll be there, but this year, starting late Feb.
    FWIW (no "rights" or "wrongs" here …) my gear list is at http://www.nwlink.com/~brianle/AT_Gear_List_Gadget.pdf

Some hasty comments …

Wool socks?

I personally goretex socks over sealskinz — sometimes sealskinz work fine, but sometimes I've been cold in them.

Consider balaclava or something to keep nose warm in cold temps.

pack liner

no comment on layering bags — hope that works well!

MLD bug bivy: can you sit upright in it? I didn't like mine for that reason, but YMMV

Mug and cook pot? Consider mug that can cook in, with enough cooking capacity (depends on cooking style)

food bag, other stuff sacks?

Do you use TP? (not listed)

bug headnet

duct tape

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools