Topic

PHD problems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PHD problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Ok, my own fault for not believing the warnings…

I ordered a UL Pullover from PHD on Ist Dec. Their web showed a 30 day delivery. Just before Christmas I emailed asking for an update and was told 'in the new year'.

2 weeks ago I emailed asking for a date and was told that it would be finished on the 13th although shipping may be delayed due to the bad weather. I asked to be updated and said I would need to know if that date wasn't going to happen as I have a trip on the 22nd (Friday).

Emailed today as I was a bit concerned, only to be told it had been delayed, would be finished today and shipped tomorrow. I'm in Spain..

Moral if you need something from PHD allow 2-3 months and don't believe their assurances, or the fact that they will follow you order up.

Companies like MLD and Tim Marshall, although maybe a different scale, seem to deliver what they promise – why the hell can't a UK company whose products I really like!

John Garner

@hobbins74

Julian – I know how you feel. I've two phd bags, the last one was in their sale – they stated that it was made surplus to requirements, hence being in the sale. It took six weeks to arrive and many unanswered emails and broken promises over the phone.

If it was already made why did it take six weeks to arrive? The lack of honesty with that company is unbelieveable. The problem is is that the kit is pretty top notch. So yes, I would buy from them again but as you say give them a couple of months to deliver and expect the worst customer service out of any small company you've ever dealt with.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm glad I saw this thread! I was considering buying something from them since they've been touted so highly on this forum, but will now decline. There are companies out there making stuff just as good (my opinion only) who have good to great customer service, and I simply won't reward such poor customer service with an order.

renata de andrade nogueira

@regenloop

Locale: netherlands

Well, I ordered a sleeping bag by MLD the 30th of november. And guess: I had the same problem. Also no answer to my email.
    I live in Europe.
    Miriam.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Guys, and Julian

You may or may not be aware that the UK has been in the grips of a massive snow storm for several weeks. Parts of the country have been shut down and transport and travel, even from home to work, is proving very difficult. It may be that the owner of the company and whatever staff he has (not many) just can't get to work.

I agree – they should have emailed you, but that's a separate issue.

Cheers

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Renata try a PM on that forum.
    Seems i sent him a mail he never recieved but my PM on BPL forum was answered quickly.

Frederic

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Hi Roger yeah, I know about the snow and I emailed because of that. I was told production was no problem but shipping maybe affected. I asked to be updated and wasn't. I was about to buy two bags and a pair of down trousers, but I won't, I hate being lied to and treated as if I don't matter. Every email I send I have to remind Emma, the person who answers the emails, that I am in Spain and shipping takes longer – what kind of admin system do they have that doesn't keep a record of where I am!?

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Douglas, I won't buy again, but I don't know anyone making such high quality down gear, the UL pullover is unique.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

The UL pullover isn't particularly unique. My partner has one, and would trade it in a heartbeat for my Skaha pullover. For ~ an extra ounce and $30, you get it fully baffled and a lot more loft. Not sure what shipping to Europe adds to the cost??

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi Miriam,

I checked our emails and don't see we ever received an inquiry (or tele call) on your order status- maybe the email never made it to us….but- your order did ship on Jan 6- the exact time it was predicted to ship after the holidays. Should be in about 1 – 10 more days depending on your countries PO delivery/customs delay.

Note that shipments overseas are unpredictable in being delivered by the host country PO/Customs sometimes. We just had one to the EU that was over 6 weeks past due turn up the exact day the customer went to the PO to pick up the Replacement order we sent…

Don't get me started on strange overseas PO delays, etc ;-) – we are "right on the edge" (teeth gritted) of having to go to more expensive delivery confirmation signature policies for many overseas orders- maybe the economy can explain the jump in "missing orders" … and everyone overseas knows how much UPS med / lg package shipments costs – they beg me not to send that way already- it's a min $40+ that way just for the UPS customs handling charges before any host country even get their part.

Anyway- maybe back to non MLD issues…
    Peace,
    Ron

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

The problems with UPS are not just the extra shipping costs. They seem to go running to customs and say "looky here, we have some taxable goodies". So then (at least in NZ), customs assess the duty, then sends a snail-mail letter to you asking for payment before they release the parcel. This delays delivery by another 10-14 days, plus the extra duty.

Sent it USPS airmail, and it arrives promptly without any customs interference or duties payable. 99.9% of the time it does NOT go missing, but I'm sure this rate varies from country to country. Some postal services are no doubt less efficient or more corrupt than others!

Oh, and if I insist on USPS shipping and the parcel doesn't show up (it's only happened once), I don't expect the company that shipped it to compensate me. It should be my choice to take the risk associated with cheaper shipping costs, especially if the company offered me more secure shipping options.

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

with the euro/dollar it would probably be cheaper that PHD BUT you have a 3 MONTHS wait plus shipping and th esame dodgey communication, and the down quality is lower. Every nunatak garment I've ever seen moults… At least PHD is euro so the legal system is easier if you need it. British Small Claims Courts are great!

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

MLD shipped my Duo Mid early! Got to Spain within a week.

Dunno what BPL used but they get my stuff to me within 3 days!

MLD are one of the heroes in my recent custom making binge, as is Tim. Aarn pack, Gossamer Gear, Paramo, Ultralight UK, BPL, no problems, great communication.

I'm a really easy guy to please if I'm told about what is going on (ask Tim – he was a tad late on what we agreed but kept me informed each step of the way and I'm a very happy customer – I WILL buy from him again, in fact I'll probably get the quilts I would have bought from PHD from him.)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'll second Lynn's appraisal of UPS; every single time I've had my things shipped through them I've had to pay customs tariffs and wait days for the the payment to go through. I've almost never paid duty with USPS. Not only that, when delivering items to your door and you are not home USPS (though the Japanese postal system) makes an effort to return at a more reasonable hour without your having to go out of your way to arrange a time to be there for the delivery. UPS makes you choose a time convenient for them and often I have to wait a week or more until I have the time to make for them.

From what I hear USPS is closing down great numbers of their PO's around the country. I think this is one of the worst moves of the government that they have made in budget cuts. If something ever goes wrong with the world economy there will be nothing in place to ensure delivery of goods.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"UPS makes you choose a time convenient for them and often I have to wait a week or more until I have the time to make for them."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. UPS/FEDEX almost always requires me to go out to the airport depot to collect my parcel, as I'm never home during normal delivery times. That's like an hour round trip!!!! And they won't deliver to PO boxes :-(

RE: Nunatak shedding down, yes, absolutely, but no more than my partners PHD Minimus. In either case it is usually easy to pull the down back into the garment.

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Hi Lynn, I've ordered the Ultra which has the higher quality down fill than the minimus . PHD really is the only company I could find doing that quality – around 8oz if I remember right. But I really dunno why I'm defending them… ;-)

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

[slightly OT rant] I find the argument of "its winter and they have snow" not valid, sorry. Yeah, the UK has its first real winter in many years, but that shouldn't mean that everything is shut down, schools don't open, roads are closed. Hell, we get triple the snow and double the minus temperatures in Scandinavia and our roads are free, children go to school & adults to work (and don't freeze) and we don't buy supermarkets empty. I just find that ridiculous. [/slightly OT rant]

I tried to contact PHD several times, and NEVER have received an answer. I don't know if that's their style of customer service, but honestly, before I buy anything from PHD I'd order the material myself and MYOG or contact one of the US cottages, because they know what is customer service.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I won't buy anything from PHD because of their poor customer service. They often don't answer emails, and when they do, they don't give out information requested, such as amount of down used in their lighter gear.

By the way, nothing is shut for winter in the UK, at least here in Scotland. Sure, roads were closed for a short time until snow ploughs got through, but everything is back to normal. :)

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Just an update, PHD are shipping express courier at their cost… so at least an attempt…

Hendrick, I sympathise, I used to live in Leeds (North-ish), every year the trains would stop due to snow, every year…

I have always received a reply contacting through the website. Trying to be fair about this, I agree with your comments re US cottage indutries, great service… I've heard bad things on the forums re nunatak which was why I avoided them, problems in the US are hard to solve from Europe… I'm also a bit worried that they use more feather in their fill than from what I've seen from PHD:

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Mike, I was watching SkyNews last week at a mate's place, and there it said that schools are closed (down south) or only open for exams :D

Julian, I actually live in Finland ;) Everything works here just fine, yes, the Finnish train is fu#%ed up and doesn't seem to understand that the cold comes every year again for six months, but besides that life is good here & things work.

Hope you get the PHD bag in time, be sure to let us know how you like it. I might try to contact them via their website, lets see if I get a reply this time.

(I just don't get it, I want to give heaps of money to you for one of your products, and you don't bother answer?)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I'm surprised with your comment about reading 'bad things on the forums' about Nunatak, Julian. I haven't read them.
    I'm very happy with my quilt, and wouldn't swap my Skaha for my friends PHD pullover.

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

I read something about delays, bad communication, things coming in over weight,also from personal observation. Why don't you rate the ultra???? That down fill is amazing from the one I handled. Maybe more fragile fabric?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

There was a wait for my Nunatak stuff, but i was aware of that from the start, and the communication was first class.
    I didn't say i don't rate PHD stuff. The PHD Pullover a friend of mine has is fine, but nowhere near as warm as my Skaha.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

You will wait for a Nunatak product just like PHD, but their service and communication is far better IMHO. I also agree that a Skaha seems warmer (is definitely higher lofting) than a Minimus, plus every Nunatak order is essentially a custom order. You get a garment tailored to your needs.

As far as down quality, I think you will find that companies like Western Mountaineering are already using 850+ down fill, which is often very close to 900 fill power anyway. The difference bewteen 800+ used at Nunatak and 900 is less than 10% (most 800+ is closer to 850), so I am not convinced that it's all it's cracked up to be. It has the same loft as their traditional Minimus. Add poor customer service to the equation and I would definitely look elsewhere.

Snow closures can't be judged by your own regional experiences. We probably average one to two days a year here where snow wreaks havoc, but that's because it's so uncommon. There's a lack of snow ploughs, most folks don't have chains or snow tyres, and have little experience driving in icy conditions. Trust me, you wouldn't WANT most of them on the roads!!! When you live somewhere colder where snow is a fact of every winter, you adapt and have the infrastructure in place to deal with it better. It is less disruptive.

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

Thanks for your thoughts Lynn, I'll certainly rethink for the future. I was promised a tracking number and shipment for today that hasn't happened. What was the wait for your nunatak??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools