Topic

Need a Pack Reccomendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a Pack Reccomendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kellen Holt

@ikellen

I am looking for a new ultralight weekend workhorse. My Golite Speed is too big for weekends, but great for 3-5 days. I need the following specs

– 2000-2500ci
    – 2 side mesh pockets for waterbottles
    – one large mesh bocket on the back for drying wet items
    – Side compression straps for smaller loads
    – Padded Waist belt and Shoulder straps
    – (Optional) Bungee cord for lashing items to the back.
    – (Optional) tool loop and attachment strap
    – Light as possible

I am looking at the Golite vision, but I think it’s a bit heavy for my needs. I plan to be carrying 15 lbs or less including food and water, and the vision does have a real “suspension”, the unpadded waist belt worries me if I had to carry extra water to a dry camp. I don’t really need a suspension at these loads, but I really prefer padded straps and waist belt as a luxury item (OK so I’m not at the point of challenging ryan’s 5lb pack). I was able to stuff all of my overnight gear into a Golite 24 pack, but it was a tight squeeze without food, and I would like a little flexibility. I much prefer a smaller pack (as praised in Ryan’s Article), rather than something with more extra room that I have gear to stuff in.

Thanks

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

GoLite Dawn – perhaps close enough to your stated specs/requirements. No side compression, but the rear bungee does double-duty for compression purposes – better than nothing. I believe that it nails all of your other specs and weighs 14oz. There are other good choices, but they may deviate from your specs a bit more.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

The ULA Conduit seems to meet your needs. 2100ci main body, side and back mesh pockets, padded hip belt and shoulder straps. It’s a tad on the heavy side, but you get benefits such as durability and hip belt pockets for the weight.

Another option might be Mountain Laurel Designs’ Prophet 40. 2000 main body, back mesh pocket, padded shoulders and hipbelt (especially with the upgraded hipbelt.) You could also have the option of using stays for those trips where hauling a lot of water seemed likely. The thing this pack doesn’t have is side mesh pockets, but you could probably get Ron to add some for you if they are an absolute must. The weight is nice, too: 15.2 ounces with the stays, hipbelt, and sternum strap gets you a very durable bag that can carry 30+ pounds.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Kellen,

You should definitely look into the Six Moon Designs Essence pack, although it is slightly bigger than you need. It does have pretty much everything you’re looking for, including the bungee cord and tool loop attachment. Additionally, it has 3 large mesh pockets in the back, a top pocket, two hipbelt pockets, a weather flap, and an extension collar that never seems to fill up no matter how much food you stuff in there (its a front loader). The webbing straps inside the pack that are used for keeping the pad held in place can also be used for holding a food bag against your back, which I’ve found increases the comfort of an already comfortable pack. At 15 lbs (which I’ve tested), you won’t know the pack is on your back. The total volume is around 3200 c.i. (350 c.i. in the extension collar and 2000 in the main pack body) and the total weight is 13.6 oz on my scale. Heres the link if you’d like to read a bit more.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44

-Dave:)

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I second the MLD packs. I use the Prophet 30, which matches your needs except that the hip belt is not padded. The bungee and V-top compress the pack. It’s a bit on the small side, but I find it supports my weekend trips comfortably. It can be a problem whem you need to pack extra water for dry camping, in which case I’d probably go for either the ULA packs or the Prophet 40.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Maybe the new GoLite Multi-Sport, 1900ci? It’s built like the 24, but about 2/3 larger. Or perhaps the Ultimate Direction SpeeDemon, 2300ci? I’m sure you could put the UD pack on a diet if there are some features you don’t use.
    -Mark

Kellen Holt

@ikellen

Let me add some response to the posts already made to help narrow things:

GoLite Dawn – Very good, except for the lack of compression straps, but the volume could very well make up for that.

Gregory Advent Pro – Possible, but somewhat more features than I really want (weight), and the capacity is a little more than I need.

ULA Conduit – Very good, and very close to what I’m looking for. In actuality, I’m actually looking more at the ULA Relay, but it lacks a padded waist belt. One or the other are very high in the running.

MLD Prophet – Impressive on paper, and the customizable options are nice, but it’s hard to picture what the prophet 20 or 40 look like, as there are only pictures of the 30.

Six Moon Designs Essence – Possible, but I’m just not a fan of the design. I much prefer a standard pack bag with a drawstring closure.

Golite Multi-Sport – the original pack that spawned this thread. I experimented with my current “day” pack (a Golite 24), and I was just barely able to squeeze everything in, but it was a squeeze. The big thing I wasn’t impressed with was that the pack didn’t carry like a pack, but more like a sack on a string slung over my shoulders – not something I would look forward to over 80 miles in a weekend. So, it was back the drawing board, and so far, things are going in the right direction.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bert Hawkins

@berthawkins

1 week in Sierras this summer. Bear cannister, fly rod, all else ultralight. 40lbs? Pack recommondations?

Robert Miller

@procab

Bert,

Are you sure on the weight? You should be under 30 lbs for a week with the extras you mentioned. If you eat your catch you could easily be under 25 IMO.

Robert

Anonymous

I didnt see anyone mention the GG Wisp.

2000-2500ci – – Check – 2000ci

2 side mesh pockets for waterbottles – – Miss, but it is hydration compatible, and has hip belt pockets for small items.

one large mesh pocket on the back for drying wet items – – Check-ish. Not mesh, but theres a flap designed for lashing things outside of the pack.

Side compression straps for smaller loads – – Check

Padded Waist belt and Shoulder straps – – Check

Bungee cord for lashing items to the back. – – Check-ish – see above about the flap.

tool loop and attachment strap – Check – two of them.

Light as possible – 1lbs 8oz

James E Naphas
    Spectator

@naphas

Gossamer Gear Mariposa. 40 lbs is probably pushing it, but I’ve carried up to 35 lbs in mine, no big problem. The canister has to go in the pack upright (don’t believe the photo on the website showing the canister on top, it will slide out), tent or tarp under the top strap. You’ll need to have fairly low volume stuff, but it is a very workable pack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools