Topic

Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    James Taylor
    BPL Member

@tustumenalake

Locale: ak

deleted

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

What definitely isn't very "Golite" about Golite is the last time I was on a flight from Detroit back to El Paso I found a full page Golite advertisement in the SkyMall in-flight publication. I kinda chuckled, they are definitely reaching out to a much larger audience. SkyMall circulates over 20 million copies of their product catalogs annually in the seat backs of most major airlines.

Michael Williams

@qldhike

Locale: Queensland

Just looking at the Golite website and I noticed they don't list the Ion. Does anybody know if Golite has stopped making it?

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

Yup, the ion has been discontinued. I contacted their customer support last week because I could not believe it! It is a sad sad day :(.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300418809411 I'd love to hear an explanation of this price , preferably multiple explanations.Yer basic $350 Golite backpack that might hold $350 in singles.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Yeah John, when i saw that, i was just confused. Crazy part is, the highest bidder bought 2 of them ($690 for 2 mediocre packs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Go-Lite-Ultra-Lite-Weight-Backpack-/300418809162?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f25b3d4a#ht_500wt_1182

I have a blue Golite Day, maybe he's crazy enough to want to collect all 3 colors :)

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

That's funny. Definitely a collector. Not so crazy I guess, because it is an iconic product in backpacking history and there are few of them around. Sad thing is that those packs aren't even the 1st generation. I've got one and that's a second or third generation.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Jack, what does a 1st gen look like? Got a pic? I'm pretty curious…I didn't know a Damn thing about lightweight backpacking when those packs were around.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Living in Portland I know people who have sold old NIKE sneaks to Japanese buyers for quite the $$$. I live within walking distance of Redlight on Hawthorne which moved down from Seattle after the Grunge scene gentrified. The owner made her initial capital doing just that. I understand nostalgia and collect a lot of things . I'd love to hear a blow by blow of this early stuff as this history is not recorded in the way that say 70's gear is chronicled. The Golite Lust , buy it now.

Jack H.

@found

No pic that shows much. First I don't believe that it came in colors other than black. Second, the mesh and webbing was of questionable quality. Third the mesh used bungy cord draw strings to close instead of integrated elastic bands.

asdfasd

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

That photo sure is happy and the haze makes for depth of field in a real way. When was this?

Jack H.

@found

Thanks John! Great eye on the haze. There was a fire in the nearby mountains. The photos were taken in 2006 on the PCT.

Some more… I loved this pack!

asdfads

asdfas

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

While I may buy a Peak on clearance at some point depending on how much they weigh after taking a razor to them I figure my next pack will come from GG. My only real lament is the loss of the Ion. I'm glad I went out of my way to find one last year.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Maybe you can get $350 on ebay

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools