Topic

Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Tell me why the 2010 Jam weighs more than the 2010 Pinnacle?

The 2010 LiteSpeed is now 15L smaller but weighs the same as the 49L 2009 model.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I think it is an error. There seem to be others in the light backpack category.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think that once you're arrived in the UL world (think cuben tarp or silnylon tarptents, etc.), you are no longer part of GoLite's target market. And thus, you shouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) that GoLite isn't fulfilling your gear needs any longeer.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I think GoLite was one of those companies that was really great when it came out but seems to have stood still while others have moved forward and kept up with the times.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think the weight listed for the 2010 Pinnacle is actually the 2009 weight. So they forgot to update it which is why the Jam appears heavier.

How about that new poncho tarp? Using 15D silnylon is great. I forgot the weight spec on the old one, but the new one is 8oz (212g) which is about 4oz lighter than my old GoLite poncho tarp.

Wow they're claiming 5" of loft for their new 3 season quilt.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Click on the "comparison" link at the right under the individual pack pages. It brings up a chart that appears to be more accurate. It shows the Pinnacle 2 oz heavier than the Jam. It also lists weights by pack size.

On another note, it does appear that the Shangri-La shelters (the few that remain) and their nests have been lightened up.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The new Shangrila 5 and inner looks interesting for group camping.

David Ure

@familyguy

I hope it is an error (wouldn't be surprised).

The Shangri-la shelters now use lighter materials but the weight is offset by using taped seams. No comment about the pricing? $200 for the Shangri-La 1 (!). Their other shelter line looks really heavy for a company that is called Golite.

All the pricing is a bit aggressive to me. It makes the cottage produced gear seam….reasonable.

Maybe I am grumpy but 2lbs for a frameless 50L pack seems mental.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

David I agree that two pounds for a frameless pack is a bit much. For that weight you could get a nice Osprey Exos (with a frame) at any REI. How is Golite going to compete with that?
    Here's what I don't understand. I don't expect Golite to be as cutting edge as say GG but they aren't as big as say Gregory or Osprey. They have some nice products but they seem to be moving out of the niche market where they have more to offer and into an area where they will have to compete directly with better established brands.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Didn't they claim 5" for the original Ultra20 as well? Its probably just more accurate this time.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

GoLite reports loft on quilts in a double layer to be consistent with sleeping bags. Golite's single layer quilt loft is 2.5". My original ultra 20 was pretty much 2.5" or 5" doubled.

Jamie

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

We will have to wait until someone gets their hands on the "new"gear to really know for sure. I have the 2009 Shangri-La 3 and it weighs 24oz on my scale, the same as the 2010. The nest is much lighter for 2010 but I only use mine for car camping and don't really care what it weighs.

As for the quilts, if the 2010 models do really come in at the stated weights, I think the older version is going to be the more desireable of the three. The listed girths may be a bit roomier on the 2010, but not enough to justify the added bulk. My 2009 Ultra reg is 18.4 oz without the straps and 19.1 with them. Warmer and lighter than the new Ultra 1+.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

It's called feature creep, and is inevitable if you move into the more mainstream markets.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If it wasn't for the portly packs, I don't think people would be viewing the 2010 line so negatively. Here are some positive things I've noticed about their 2010 line:

1) The new Roan 800 Plateau jacket looks to provide a lot of warmth for it's 16oz. It's perhaps comparable to Montbell's Alpine Down jkt.

2) At 8oz and $80, the updated GoLite Poncho tarp looks to be the clear winner over all other poncho tarps except for cuben ones and poncho tarps that setup to be more than just a tarp (ie. the SMD Gatewood cape). For example, I don't know how one could justify spending $155 on the 8.8oz MLD silnylon poncho tarp when the GoLite is half the price and lighter.

EDIT: The outgoing poncho tarp weighed 11oz (283g) as measured by BPL, so this really is a big weight savings.

3) The new quilts are still using 15D nylon for most of the shell and Pertex at the ends just like the 2009 quilt, so it seems that weight increase has come primarily from adding more down, rather than elsewhere like heavier fabrics.

4) Maybe this isn't new, but 92g (3oz) for a short sleeve polyester baselayer top is impressive. $40 is a good price too.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I think Golite is going the way of the Jetboil Flash. A focus on features over function. Maybe they, too, need a haiku hailing our disappointment.

I think their move to high recycled content was a great one. It's the closest thing I've seen to Patagonia's practices with clothing, brought to gear. If only they had stuck to their minimalist design philosophy…

John Tunnicliffe

@benwaller

Locale: Northern California

GoLite's gear market has never been Gossamer Gear's or Six Moon's or MLD's. It's pretty obvious that this guy and his woman are both way too smart too bet the farm on the bleeding edge, so I think a more cautious approach to criticism would be prudent.

Because the truth is that there just aren't enough uber-liters to make a decent payday for anybody serious about growing a business into an enterprise. The way I see it GoLite is a clothing company with some respectable representation in the gear area, more for presence than effect. Anybody can make a pack, just look around (it ain't rocket science), but few can do what GoLite does in the apparel area.

So no, GoLite has definitely not lost their mind(s). They're doing what works for their enterprise by delivering value in accordance with their core compencies. Looks like a pretty good business model to me.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Agree.

One other thing though that GoLite hasn't lost: its sloppy and awkward to use website.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I really miss there tarps with the beaks. Golite does not have a patten on them? (Beaks) Do they?

PS: My avatar is with a "OLD SCHOOL" Newt Jacket.
    I still have that today- Bug-proof and breathable.

David Ure

@familyguy

If Golite is going for the mainstream they are about to get their rear handed to themselves in the marketplace. This is the worst product line they have ever had:

-2 lb frameless pack that will compete with 2lb framed packs (i.e. VT and Exos). The mainstream will choose a framed pack if the weights are the same.
    -3lb, 7oz single walled hooped tent for solo use. Shall I name all of the sub 3 lb mainstream solo tents that are available?
    -A line of tarptents that require inner bug tents to be completely bug proof, and that are heavier than comparable mainstream double walled tents that have a dedicated pole structure. The bug inner for the Shangri-La 1 has barely over 15 sq feet of space. The mainstream will choose more room for the same weight and for a lower cost.
    -Overall pricing is much higher than last year and a.) makes them more expensive than some cottage manufacturers and b.) makes them the same price as other mainstream manufacturers while offering fewer distinguishable features.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Golite is probably thinking about a name change to GoHeavy.
    –B.G.–

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

John may have a point. When I went to a Golite warehouse sale they had plenty of packs and tents, but I was impressed by the amount of clothing that was for sale. There was also a lot of running gear. I would guess the market for that stuff is a lot bigger than the market for packs of any kind. People all over run, and wear fleeces but wouldn't dream of hiking off into the woods and camping out under a poncho. In that case judging Golite on their packs and shelters may be too narrow.
    I still think Golite is going to gradually lose more of the UL market. If thats their choice more power to them. I hope Golite stays somewhat in the market however because its a more accessible brand to your average Joe than MLD or GG.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

To be fair — I think they're taking the Middle Way. Not a bad choice, really.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

> At 8oz and $80, the updated GoLite Poncho tarp looks to be the clear winner over all other poncho tarps except for cuben ones and poncho tarps that setup to be more than just a tarp (ie. the SMD Gatewood cape). For example, I don't know how one could justify spending $155 on the 8.8oz MLD silnylon poncho tarp when the GoLite is half the price and lighter.

My lovely wife took my Magellan Backpacker Poncho to the Post Office and weighed it for me on their postal scale. The final tally was 9.5 ounces for a ripstop nylon polyurethane coated poncho. If memory serves me I paid right at or below $15.00 for this poncho 2 years ago at Academy Sports.

I'll keep my $65.00 or my $140.00 dollars for the higher priced spread if all they can do is save me 1.5 ounces.
    I was interested in the GoLite poncho tarp last year and after comparing the relative sizes I figured the difference had to be the wieght. I was still set on the purchase until my wife gave me the news from the postal scale.

Weight is weight and $$$ are $$$. If all I can save is 1.5 ounces and I have to spend an additional $65.00 or more I'll carry the 1.5 ounces.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

David Ure

@familyguy

"To be fair — I think they're taking the Middle Way. Not a bad choice, really."

The middle would be okay. It's what they have done over the past 3 years. But now they have gone too far to the mainstream. Heck, they are mainstream now.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I think Golite is risking not being competitive with either the UL or mainstream market.
    Golite should concentrate on its clothing line and really scale back on its gear. Go back to its core products and stop being over ambitious and trying to offer something for everyone just to say that they do.
    Golite was known for making durable lightweight gear for a fair price. It wasn't the lightest out there but it was light, well designed and well liked. My 08 Jam2 is one of the best packs out there.
    They should make their money in clothing, keep their core products and not put anything on the market until they really have something to write home about- how about a double wall freestanding to compete with the Fly creek? or a lightweight external frame?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools