Topic

Recipe: Greek Beef w/ Lemon Couscous

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Recipe: Greek Beef w/ Lemon Couscous

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JR Redding

@grinchmt

We adapted this from a meatball recipe and tried it out this week in the dehydrator to see how it would fare. It's tangy with good flavor.

Greek Beef
    1 C. Bread Crumbs
    1/4 C. Whole Milk
    1/4 C. Feta Cheese Crumbled
    1/4 C. Fresh Parsley Minced
    2 T. Scallions
    2 t. Oregano
    1 Egg Slightly Beaten
    1 T. Minced Garlic
    1/4 t. Red Pepper Flakes
    1/2 C. Kalamata Olives, sliced
    1 Pound Lean Ground Beef or Ground Chuck

Take all ingredients except the garlic, red pepper, olives and beef and mix well into a bowl. Add beef an d thoroughly mix together. In a large fry pan use a tablespoon or two of Olive Oil and heat to medium high. When heated, saute' olives, pepper and Garlic for two minutes then add beef mixtures. Cook beef thoroughly, drain and dry in dehydrator at 120 until complete. (Time depends on your model of dehydrator) A low temp slow dry works better for this mixture due to the Feta cheese.

Pack in freezerbag and rehydrate with boiling water. Generally just enough to cover the beef works, but you may need slightly more. We've found that 15 minutes in a FB cozy is usually enough.

Lemon Couscous
    3/4 C. Dry Plain CousCous
    3/4 C. Chicken Broth (one bouillon cube and 3/4 c water)
    1 T. Olive Oil
    1/4 C. Water and 6 Tru Lemon packets OR 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice

Package Couscous in a freezerbag. Bring other ingredients to a boil, then add to Couscous in a cozy – Couscous only takes 5 minutes.

Mix the beef and couscous together for a good meal.

In addition, if you feel up to carrying the additional ingredients, top it with this sauce:

Feta Yogurt Sauce
    1/4 C. Feta Cheese crumbled
    1/4 C/ Plain Yogurt (may be able to use yogurt powder)
    2 T. Lemon Juice (can use 2 Tru Lemon packets)
    1/4 t. Black Pepper

Just mix together the ingredients and pour over meat and Couscous

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice one, Joe. I've got most of the hamburger mix in the oven drying. I held some out to go with some couscous for dinner. Even though I don't have any feta cheese, it still tastes very good and is a tasty combination of flavors. I'll pick up some feta and pack it separately, since it missed out on being in the hamburger mix. Thanks for a great idea!

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Glad you like it! I fell in love with the lemon Couscous. I normally don't care for it that much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools