Topic

Best Wind Shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Wind Shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I'm about to try my hand at a wind shirt. I was going to pull the trigger on a Montane FeatherLite Smock. Thought I would ask for advice first.

In your opinion, who makes the best wind shirt? I've read the reviews here on BPL but thought you guys would have some good input as well. Cheers!

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

The Montane Lite-Speed jacket would be your best bet. I had one a long time ago and upgraded to a Patagonia Houdini. I now miss my Lite-Speed.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey Roy! Mind comparing the two — pros and cons?

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

If you sew your own gear, thru-hiker's Liberty kit is unbeatable: as low as 2.5oz, use whatever fabric you like, build it with a hood, etc.

Juston Taul

@junction

I wish I was that talented Andrew. Maybe one day i'll give it a shot. For now, i'm gonna let the experts take care of my gear needs. I appreciate the idea.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

I've had a few over the years.

* Montane Featherlite Smock: Pertex Microlight. Can't go wrong. I think they made the cut more athletic. Good idea, the old ones were cut like a sack of potatoes.
    * VAUDE Laser: Pertex Microlight. Seams rip frequently (I'm on my third). Pockets + pit zips.
    * Haglöfs Zeal: Pertex Microlight. Looks awesome if you like Budgie Green.
    * Mont-Bell U.L. Wind Jacket: Pertex Quantum, I think (?). Usual Mont-Bell cut (wide and small). Maybe a bit more water resistant.

B. F.

@thrush

I got the Northland Helium XT Hood Jacket. It was elastic cuffs and waiste, build in pocket to pack it up (wich works very very good and you can't lose it), a great elastic hood wich isn't too wide or narrow, and a high collar and an athletic cut so that wind has no chance. I use it in conjunction with a thin fleece jacket and cap down to 20°F / -6 °C on tour, for breaks and camp you need more isolation. I had it on several long trails now, using it under backpack straps it has no signs of wearing yet. I didn't have my hands on another wind jacket so I can't compare, but until now I've not seen any other wind jacket that could beat it.

Weight is ~2,9 ounches / 83 grams in size L.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

So what is currently the lightest one on the market?

-Sid

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Hey Ben. Long time man!

I like the fabric in Montane better. More breathable, more comfortable on the skin and just as wind resistant. Less rain resistance, but hey, its a WIND shirt. Bonus, the new models have a detachable hood.

Patagonia isn't bad but I just find myself waiting a little longer before I put it on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know the Lite-Speed has a roll-away hood, I don't think it's detachable.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Ahhh Rene it appears you are correct.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

The zipper would weigh more than the hood itself. A couple of the tiniest snaps would do the trick for stowing it away, although unless you're biking, I don't see why just stuffing it down the back wouldn't work just as well.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

So what is currently the lightest one on the market?

Montane Slipstream? Montbell U.L. Wind Jacket?

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Oh wait, VAUDE Spin Off Smock. 72 g.

It probably isn't Pertex Microlight.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Lightest on the market is either the Montane slipstream in pertex quantum or Montbell UL windshirt, depending on sizes of course. Neither of those have hoods.

The Vaude may be lighter, but I can't vouch for their accuracy in weights posted online.

David Ure

@familyguy

Integral Designs Pertex Wind Shirt. With a hood. Not the lightest but getting a windshirt without seems strange to me….

Made in Canada.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Integral Designs Pertex Wind Shirt.

The best one I've ever tried.
    I think it is the best compromise for rain protection and breath-ability. It is not rain proof though.

I've come to really like the hood and zipper.
    My previous windshirts were lighter, but no zip or hood.
    I can now carry a lighter hat. Pulling the hood over the hat adds a lot of warmth.

The zip allows me to zip it open when I get warm and zip it up when the wind picks up, without having to take the pack off.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

My hooded PHD Windshirt weighs 96g in size Large. It is sometimes in their sale at lot cheaper price.
    I also have a Montane Fearherlight, a Rab Quantum windshirt, a Paramo Fuera and a Wild Things windshirt. I use the Paramo for climbing and scrambling on rock as it is very durable. The Epic used in the Wild Things isn't breathable enough for me, and is more of a rainproof jacket. I use the PHD for backpacking because of the hood, and the Rab or Montane for milder weather.

Juston Taul

@junction

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm doing a lot of reading about your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I own a Montane Slipstream (Pertex Quantum) in a size large and it weighs 74 grams, and i own a TNF Hydrogen in a size medium and that weighs 82 grams . I wonder if they made a version with a hood how much these jackets would weigh?

Steve Small

@lustreking

Andrew,

I haven't seen this anywhere, so probably not, but does Thru-hiker sell the pattern without the fabric at all?

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

I don't think so, at least it's not on their website. You could always ask AYCE; it's a small business and I don't think it would put him out any. BTW, make sure to tell him if you want to have a hood, he might print the pattern out for you (otherwise you'll have to transfer it from a grid).

John George

@tom_j

I am interested in getting such a light shirt / jacket, but I have a few questions about them.

First, in your experience are these ultra-light shirts / jackets (like the Featherlite) strong enough for you to wear a 3 kg / 7 pounds (max) backpack directly over them ? Or would they start to rip apart eventually ?

Also, I would appreciate it if anyone could share his opinions about several ultra-light jackets from Vaude – the "Spin Off Smock" or "Unique" – compared to other models already discussed here, like the Montane "Featherlite" or the Integral Designs "Pertex Wind".

Thanks for your opinions.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I just picked up one of these on E-bay for $33 shipped. My hiker partner has one an loves it. At 2.5oz for the jacket (no hood), and a little over 3oz for the hooded Wind Parka, they certainly fit the light criteria.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John wrote: "I am interested in getting such a light shirt / jacket, but I have a few questions about them.

First, in your experience are these ultra-light shirts / jackets (like the Featherlite) strong enough for you to wear a 3 kg / 7 pounds (max) backpack directly over them ? Or would they start to rip apart eventually ?"

They aren't that fragile. Snagging and ripping on brush is an issue with any light fabric, but pack abrasion isn't an issue I have run into. I *hope* I can get in enough hiking time to wear out my windshirt. I have seen some packs with heavy cordura covers on back pads and hip belts that might abrade UL clothing, but none were close to UL gear. Reasonable care and washing in soaps that will preserve the DWR waterproofing should give you years of good service.

I do prefer full zip models. Breathability of the fabric is a big factor. Pertex works great. Watch the sizing on Montane and MontBell goodies (as opposed to US sizing).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools