Topic

Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No doubt many of you have digitized your treasured backpacking photos. So what was your backpacking like way back when? Post your earliest backpacking photo(s)! Bonus points for campsite photos with you and your gear!

I grew up in the 70's; but alas, I didn't backpack (or even day hike) until 2004! Sigh.

Here's me with a silly grin @ Wind Rivers circa. 2004 — my first multi-day hike:aa

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It was pretty interesting looking back for my earliest photo. I had no idea what it would be. I haven't digitized most of my old photos, and I lost all of my digital photos from before 2001 (sad news). But my earliest photo is this weird digital picture of a panoramic still photo. I think that it's the only photo that I have of hiking the JMT in 2001. Mine's not photochoped!

we

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I haven't scanned as many in as I should!

This is from 2002 I think? Flapjack Lakes in the Olympics:
    Olympics, 2001

One of Ford and I on a trip in the North Cascades – 2002 I think:
    Sauk Mt, 2002

That sweet yellow tent was my first real "backpacking tent" that I bought. It was black inside so a total sauna! 2001:
    Photobucket

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

This is the earliest backpacking photo I currently have online. It's from a trip into Cracker Lake in Glacier National Park.

Cracker Lake

My first backpacking trip was in 1998 and I doubt any photos were even taken whilst on it. Too bad, because I was carrying a very, very, very odd assortment of gear.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Tetons, about 1975, wearing Lowa Alpspitz, probably the heaviest backpacking boot ever made:

Teton Backpacking

On the snow somewhere in Idaho or Wyoming, mid-70s, with Trailwise pack, Lowa boots, Sierra cup, and Frostline gaiters:

Snow Hiking 1

Ski trip, Idaho, mid-70s, with wooden Splitkein skiis, Northface Tuolumne tent, and Svea stove:

Ski Trip

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

I believe this is as far back as my records go

It was maybe 2006 or 2007 and I was 12 or 13, on a ridiculous day hike on good friday starting at New Found Gap.

Snuck up on me

This was a couple weeks later at Big South Fork, it was a really long day.

Bear warning destoried, by bears?

I usually take the pictures, so I'm not in 90% of them, enjoy this pic and the one after of some strange things I've taken pics of

My favorite sign

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

This is my earliest digitized backpacking photo. I was introduced to hiking at 54 years of age in 2008. This is a shot of Max Patch just outside of Hot Springs, NC.

Max Patch on the AT 2008

This is a shot of the head waiter and bell hop at the Spring Mountain Shelter on the AT.

Head waiter and bellhop at "Hotel Spring Mountain Shelter"

Anyone who has been there will understand this next entry. Buzz buzz buzz, buzz buzz buzz, buzz buzz buzz my @$$.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

John, I love Max Patch! I pretty much make it a requirement that we go every year.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Ken you're using my gear! I had both the Alpspitz and the Civetta's (the Civettas were heavier for sure!)

OK I am loath to do this but 40 years ago this August on the AT in Vermont

40 years ago

I won't say which one is me.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ditto Ken. Your pix bring back memories. Almost exactly the same I gear I was using in the 70s… gaitors, tent, stove, skies, etc. Only difference was a Kelty pack and Vasque boots. I don't have any pictures from that era. I will have to see if my dad stashed any away.

–mark

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

@Alex, this is an absolute classic, well done!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Ken, those boots are badass!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

These are cool photos! Far out, man!!!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Warren,

Check out the photo below. "Lazarus" and I had enough and bailed out at Allen Gap. First all water but Spring Mtn. Shelter had dried up and then we saw two of every kind of animal in creation following this old guy carrying a set of really big boat plans. We hitched a ride to the Hemlock Hollow Inn Hostel while dodging lightning bolts. This was the same 2008 hike as the above Max Patch photo. I must confess that we visited Max Patch by car one day prior to setting out on the trail. "Lazarus" and I met up and spent the night in Hot Springs, NC. We began our trek together the next morning. "Lazarus" had already been on the trail for a week prior.

Drying out at Hemlock Hollow Inn

Find anything in the photo interesting or familiar?

I think I could guess where the pack on your gear list came from.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Boone 2

I still have the pack. Found it cleaning the attic this Fall.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Hiking Mt. St. Helens on a hot July day in 1987:

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

@ George:

Do you still have the female companion? Was she in the attic as well?

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

Just off the AT in Harriman State Park in NY in June, 1973.

1973 photo.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Arizona 1973

One of our winter campsites in Arizona, Pinal County.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

@Joe

Yes, Sir.

and she's still as mean as she is pretty

squaw 1977

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@George:

Mean I don't know, but she sure is pretty! Your pic a few posts up… are those your arms or tree trunks? :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A couple of shots from about 32 years ago.
    The first is about 30 min up from our house in the village (3300') I am in the foreground and my parents are ahead of me. This was a short day walk to an Alp at 5300'. The second is a couple of hundred meters (vertical) from destination (about 8200') . I am the first on the right.
    These were day outings. From 3300" to 5300-9200'.
    Note my minimalistic attire.
    Franco
    day hike 1

day hike 2

BTW, I was doing those walks at 6-7 years of age.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This one goes back a few years- Mt Rainier climb in 1974- I was 17.
    Mt Rainier 1974
    I'm perched on disappointment cleaver.
    In those days we would go down to REI (the old "real" store) and rent a pair of boots, crampons and ice axe and climb the mountain over the weekend.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Don't have any of my earliest backpacking photos digitized, but here are two:

My first alpine climb (Kitadake, South Japan Alps, 1984) and I did it solo… I hadn't a clue what I was doing…and almost died two days after this shot. Note the dashing fedora and cotton shorts. Those are Danner Mountain Light Boots that I bought in 1980. I used them until around 1988. Amazingly my pack was very light compared to what I carried ten years later, but I had everything I needed, including a brass primus kerosene stove that weighed a ton, and a relatively light Slik tripod that you can see on the right side of my pack. The pack itself was only 40 liters. Ten years later I was using a Dana Designs Terraplane filled to the BRIM! I almost toppled off a razor ridge one time carrying that thing on a gusty afternoon!

Photobucket

Not backpacking, but I have been doing long distance bicycle tours for longer than I've backpacked. This is the same tent I used in the picture above, a Japanese single-skin, non-breathable, Nippin dome. I don't remember ever having had bad condensation problems with it and I still don't know why. In Miyagi Prefecture, 1978.

Photobucket

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

One of my favorites and earliest. Myself on the left at age 14. My son on the right at age 14. Didn't know we were taking a picture in the same spot 35 years apart until we got home.
    father/son on mt hood

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools