Topic

Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

Locale: The northwest is the BEST

I love my TNF triumph. It has handled the worst Alaska winter storms I can throw at, and also was good for trail running in wind and rain. My medium came in at 5.5oz and my wife's small at 5.2oz. If see one on clearance I say go for it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

George never mentioned anything about the availability of pants when I discussed AGG jackets with him a couple of weeks ago.

Some people get all of the breaks.
    –B.G.–

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Chris, I hope you enjoy your AGG jacket! I have a Brawny Gear anorak and pants, no longer made. When they bite the dust, I'll get the AGG jacket, too. I'm glad to know that AGG makes pants! The AGG jacket is better than the Brawny anorak because the zipper will provide more ventilation.

I strongly recommend that you test the jacket in the shower before taking it out; you'll probably have to get some Silnet and seam-seal it. I did with the Brawny Gear! Now that it's seam-sealed, it has been absolutely leak-proof for several years.

In the past, I've tried several different kinds of breathable jackets and have found that if it's warm, I sweat just as much in the breathable gear as the non-breathable. If it's shirtsleeve weather, I'd rather just get wet–my clothing dries in 20 minutes from my body heat after it stops raining. If it's cold, it doesn't seem to make a difference either. The main difference I've found is that the breathable gear seemed to leak through earlier in its life cycle, especially where the pack shoulder straps rub. I like having the nonbreathable suit as a vapor barrier inside the sleeping bag below freezing (over a base layer, obviously). If you're way below the temp rating for your bag and need to wear a jacket inside, you can put an insulating jacket over your rain jacket so the insulation doesn't get damp from your body.

I know this setup won't work for everyone, but it works great for me! Definitely YMMV here!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When I got my AGG rain jacket, I specifically asked about seam sealing. George said that it was not necessary. OK…

The seams do look pretty good. My plan is to wear it a few times to let the seams stretch any, and then seam seal if I think it needs it. I have some Sil-Net, but it is pretty thick. REI seam sealer is thinner, but it probably will not stick to sil-nylon.
    –B.G.–

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I agree with "Granny" on the breathability. Breathable outerwear passes about 10% more moisture than water-proof "non-breathable". Better to focus on comfortable inner-wear.

Say on another sort-of related note: The AGG poncho villa is designed to form a sort of super beak/vestibule almost doubling (well significantly enlarging)the floor space on a Brawny style tarp/tent which they make at AGG. But I'd bet it will also work on the ZPack Hexamid making it a 6 oz rain-proof top that will cover a pack, serve as a mini tarp, vapor barrier, and/or doors/vestible – major extension for a hexamid. It can be literally "pitched" as a rain cover while you are still wearing it with a little string and a couple of handy trees.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For "just in case" I would go with either the AGG silnylon or DriDucks. I prefer DriDucks as they are very breathable, and the lining feels cottony soft against your skin if you wear it with a short sleeve shirt. However it is slightly heavier than the AGG. Another option that works well for warmer "just in case" situations is a cheap old travel poncho.

If you are likely to be off-trail at all, then the AGG silnylon will be the most durable.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

I'm getting very excited about both the jacket and pants!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I received my Marmot Essence in the mail today so I wanted to add a few comments to expand upon my earlier posts.

1) Mine weighs 185g (6.53oz) in Men's medium.

2) The underarm vents don't seem like they would do very much as the flap largely covers them up and inhibits airflow.

3) At 5'11 and 165lbs, the size medium fits me perfectly. I can layer my Montbell UL Down Inner underneath if needed.

4) It's nice that you can roll up the hood and then loop the velcro flap on the back of the hood through the hang loop to secure the hood rolled up.

5) The Napolean pocket is handy because you can stuff the jacket into this pocket to keep it stowed. This saves me using a hair elastic.

Furthering that last comment, the Napoleon pocket seems clearly intended to be used to store the jacket but strangely Marmot didn't use a reversable zipper so it's a little awkward to zip/upzip when you are stuffing the jacket. They did provide a nice pull tab though to make it easy to open the zipper. Maybe YKK doesn't make reversable waterproof zips???

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For Christmas my kids gave me a REI gift card. There really isn't anything I need from REI, but I found an Essesnce in the Outlet store on sale for $94. Size L in Bonfire/Alert (hey it isn't a fashion show). I had been looking for an Essence on sale, but found that few retailers have any left at any price. Weight is 6.7 oz. Also, I think earlier models of the Essence use the same materials as the Precip, not the MemBrain Strata that is also found in the Mica and Oracle jackets. The older model Essesnce have a different color trim around the pocket.

I have an Oracle jacket and it "seems" to be more breathable than my GoreTex PacLite.

Also, I don't sweat as much as most people, so I think this will be able to replace my windshirt.

The elastic in the cuffs only cover 1/2 of the cuff, so it isn't tight on my wrist but fits perfectly. Feels loose, but keeps my down jacket sleeves from sliding out under the Essence jacket.

I also have been experimenting with a GG SpinnTwinn. I like all the room in it, and with all the coverage in most situations I can leave my bivy at home, which is really needed with my MLD Poncho/Tarp.

So, it looks like my shelter, rain jacket, and windshirt can all be done using only the Essence & the SpinnTwinn with a total weight of 16.8 oz, shaving about 4.5 oz of my previous set-up using the MLD Poncho/Tarp, Patagonia Windshirt, and MLD Soul Side Zip bivy. The only thing I need to watch is windy weather and make sure the SpinnTwinn is staked to the ground on the windward side. In wind, a jacket is much easier than a flapping poncho too. I am really anxious to do some crappy weather trips with the new set-up. On thing, Marmot states that the front and pocket zippers are water reisistant, not waterproof. Any thoughts on this?

Curt O

@rockstrodka

Locale: Central Florida

Long time lurker, first time poster…

I also have the 09 Marmot Essence, size Large, ~6.5oz. It replaced an 08 GoLite Virga and is much more breathable, but not breathable enough to use as a windshirt in the humid southeast.

I'm not sure how effective the pit vents are because they are fairly low on the torso. I wish that they were more like the vents on the Driclime, but I'm sure they are better than nothing.

The fit is athletic but doesn't compress my montbell UL inner parka (I'm 6-foot, 190lbs). It would be nice if the tail was longer.

Overall, I really like it, although there are compromises for such a low weight.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Bob,

Try Henry's method for silnylon, works great from what I've seen. 1tbps silicone II, 2tbps mineral spirits. Paint on with foam brush.

Cheap and easy.

David Yasuda
    BPL Member

@highzoot

Locale: Idaho

I picked up a Marmot Essence at the Sierra Trading Post store in Boise for $59, not including sales tax. Just looked at their website and they have them for $78. Blue only and just a few sizes. If you're a customer, there was a 25% off coupon they mailed out recently so you could get the same price. FYI.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools