Topic

Down Socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Down Socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I have begun making down socks for sleeping, and wanted to let you guys know about it. They use 1oz of down per pair (I can put more for a custom charge if desired). I am using black 0.9oz nylon taffeta for the fabric, and they have elastic ankle closures.

The price is $60 shipped to CONUS.
    $7 extra to Canada or Mexico.
    $9 extra anywhere else.

I offer them in 5 sizes:

X-Small: Men's size 4-5
    Small: Men's size 6-7
    Medium: Men's size 8-9
    Large: Men's size 10-11
    X-Large: Men's size 12-13

Custom sizes are available also for a $5 charge.

Let me know if you have any questions!

– Ben Smith

Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

How about some photos?

EDIT: I saw them in your other thread. Might consider posting them here too though.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

These photos are of the prototypes that I made out of 1.9oz breathable ripstop. They are the XL size, and with the stuff sack, weigh 3oz exactly on my scale.

stuffsack

socks1

socks2

socks3

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Please use the website.

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I just found this thread, sent you a paypal payment, thanks dave

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

@Ben, I just sent a PayPal order. It said the money was sent to "Susan" based on the e-mail address you provided. Hopefully this was the right place. Thanks.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Payment sent. Thanks Jack

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello Ben

Just sent money. It appears that fit is relaxed. Does foot width make a difference? I wear a 10.5 4e and ordered a size large.
    Thanks Jim

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Ben, they dont look full to me. even when on your feet, they should be "puffy" que no?
    are the photos not serving justice?
    also, you did not mention the FP of the down..
    it seems to me, in my experience, that evan a half-ounce of 800fp down would make those things burst at the seams..

let us know?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I am using 800+ fill power down. The pictures are actually of a pair that I made with a little less, maybe .66 to .75oz of down for the pair, just to see how much loft, etc. they would have. I will be using .5oz of down in each sock, so they will have a little more loft than the ones in the picture. I received the fabric and the down, so I will make a pair in size large before the day is over and post the pics of the final product.

EDIT: The 1.9oz (maybe 2.2oz) fabric may also be hindering loft a little…

I appreciate your questions and comments. Any more?

– Ben

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Hello

A picture is worth a thousand words. Can't wait.

Jim

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"I will be using .5oz of down in each sock, so they will have a little more loft than the ones in the picture."

cool!

im in the market for such a beast.. winter here will be over soon but i still have time for some cool weather socks. it'll be nice to add a bit of boost to my top quilt.
    I noticed, there are a few newbies to the down bootie/sock market, including BlackRock Gear, Western Mountaineering has a nice pair for a measly $65 and being WM, i bet they're great.
    Im looking forward to your pic of the newest model. I wear an 8.5 so it may be on the fence, perhaps more custom than usual?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I have completed one sock with the new material in a size Large. Once I get the other done, I will post pictures.

This one has about 3.5" of total loft (laying on its side) and weighs exactly 1.0oz on my scale.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Hello Ben

I am starting to drool:)

Jim

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Sorry guys, I forgot I left my camera at my other residence. I will be there tomorrow evening and will post pictures then.

The two pairs that I made tonight turned out great. They both have around 3 to 3.5" of loft. Each pair weighed 2.3oz in the stuffsack on my scale (size Large).

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Great idea and a great product; I'm glad of your initiative.

Personally I would look for a different kind of thing. I always wondered what down booties were for, other than for around a chilly house, until I moved to Europe and started sleeping in refuges. The mountain huts encourage you to remove footwear. They are often supplied with slippers of some kind, which are OK for summer, but in fall winter, down booties with closed cell foam beds and abrasion-resistant bottoms make shuffling around freezing cabins much more tolerable. The same would be useful mountaineering, but a good friend had to rescue a client who slipped 1000ft down Mt. Ranier after stepping out of his tent in such booties, so I'm wary of them in that application.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I have some material coming to test out making an external shell made of a dyneema x sole and a silnylon upper with a drawstring shockcord at the top. I would expect these to weigh somewhere around 2oz extra. I was thinking about using some of the Gossamer Gear ThinLite for the sole. Let me know what you think.

– Ben

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Based on my patterns and how the finished product is turning out, I have slightly altered the sizing. If anyone has sent payment and would like to change a size, please let me know.

– Ben

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Payment sent
    Thanks Ben

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Greetings Ben:

1) Can you post your new sizing Chart ?

2) I ordered a Med… and wear a size 9 ( 9 1/2 in a hiking boot) so I want to make sure that Med's will fit ..

Thanks !

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I offer them in 5 sizes:

X-Small: Men's size 4-5
    Small: Men's size 6-7
    Medium: Men's size 8-9
    Large: Men's size 10-11
    X-Large: Men's size 12-13

These are fairly roomy, so even if you are right on the line you can go either way.

I have a size 13 foot, and I can fit into a Large with just a little down compression at the toe.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Thanks !

I'll stay with my Med .. then ..

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Great! Just finished making them. I will ship them out tomorrow!

– Ben

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Here are the promised pictures…

socks1

loft

socks2

socks3

I have made pairs of Medium, Large, and X-Large. The Mediums weigh 2.2oz on my scale, the Larges weigh 2.3oz on my scale, and the X-Larges weigh……. 2.4oz (what a surprise).

– Ben

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools