Topic

Tips for sewing Cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tips for sewing Cuben

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all! I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for sewing Momentum to .6 Cuben? I am putting a bivy together today, and thought I would see if there is an appropriate stitch length, etc. that must be used when sewing Cuben(tight stitch, weak tear strength?). Should it just be treated the same as the Momentum, an 8 needle and some standard Guter poly?

Thank you!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i use the longest stitch my machine makes for cuben. I also use a size 6 needle (not sure it matters though). I suggest folding the cuben so when you sew it you go through at least 2 layers. I do this for my quilts and it really helps. However that is with .33 and with .6 it may not be as important.

-Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tim! I was hoping you would chime in! I will use a longer stitch and give the fold a try!

Alright, off to bang some thread through this pricey fabric ;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A size 6 needle? Wow. I can barely get a size 8 threaded.

You must have beady eyes, and good, too.

–B.G.–

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

my machine thread them for me!!

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools