Topic

Solo shelter options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo shelter options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For some reason every time I read comments from hammock cult members, I think of this line from Monty Python " I suffered for my music, and now it's your turn" (Neil Innes , 1976)
    Not obvious, but Monty Python use to mock and ham a lot too.
    Franco

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Ultralight is great, but I'm not going to hike far even with a ten pound pack if I don't sleep. So I'll settle for just 'light' and be happier for it."

My sentiments exactly. I love my hammock, and sleep much better in it than I ever have on the ground. I toss and turn on the ground and wake up throughout the night (not sleepless, just restless). In my hammock, I climb in, adjust my quilt, adjust my feet (to the footbox), adjust my pillow, and go to sleep. And I don't wake up til morning. And I don't toss and turn at all.

I also love my MLD cuben hex tarp. At night, before dozing off, I can gaze at the moon and bright stars for a bit. I can see them translucently through the tarp. Something I can't do with a sil tarp.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hi Aaron,

"I'm looking into a minimalist solo shelter to use on bike tours and extended backpacks. Something along the lines of the ubiquitous tarp-bivy combination."

My favorite tarp bivy combo is MLD Sil Pro Poncho and BPL Vapr bivy. Combo works well for me.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Aaron,

Some food for thought…

First of all, there are some really light weight sectional poles you can use in lieu of trekking poles. Check of GG, MLD, TarpTent, etc.

I have a Wild Oasis, just like the Gatewood, but not a poncho. I really don't like it that much. Too confining.

Most common combo for me is a MLD Silnylon Pro Poncho/Tarp and a MLD Soul Bivy Side Zip. The bivy is needed, because the tarp does not provide as much coverage as other options. But doesn't rain a lot where I live, and I use this combo the most.

But what I like best for a shelter is an 8 X 10 tarp. With this size you really don't need a bivy, it provides great coverage and room for on person, and can easliy accomodate two people.

I recently bought a GG SpinnTwinn and really like it. I have just ordered a Marmot Essence jacket, and this combo is about the same weight as my poncho/tarp and bivy set-up. I think I may be using the SpinnTwinn more and more.

David Stancil

@stancil

I can't believe that no one has really done an in depth look at the Grand Trunk Nano 7 hammock. It is 9' x 4', 6.7oz, holds 300lbs, and costs 70$. I just ordered mine yesterday along with their tree slings (which seem heavy but convenient until I come up with a lighter solution). No bug net but that can be rigged for a lot less weight if you DIY, and I have been looking at the Spinntwinn Cuben Fiber tarp which is 8×10 for I think 8 oz. So if you are in an area without a bug problem or shoulder season stuff you could have a rig for about 22oz and it's comfortable (I'm guessing, haven't gotten to test it out but even BPL hasn't done a review on it). Just my 2 cents. Has anyone had experience with it?

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I have a Nano 7 and have taken it out a few times. Without suspension it weighs 5oz, pretty impressive. I retrofitted with amsteel whoopie slings and polyester tree hugger straps for a total weight of around 8oz. It's a very serviceable hammock, but perhaps a little smallish. You do give up some comfort. For my SUL long miles adventures, it will be my go-to hammock. I also have an MLD cuben hex tarp. Plenty of coverage for 6.4oz, and I love the integrated line-locs. Combine that with my 12.5oz 2/3 length down underquilt for bottom side warmth and that's a pretty light setup. Nano 7 and Te-wa underquilt in foreground of picture, also shown with an Ultra 20 top quilt. The weather did not require any tarps that trip. Hanging and stargazing is the best.

Nano 7 hammock with Te-wa 2/3 underquilt

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Pretty impressive setup! That's about 27 oz for hammock, suspension, tarp, and underquilt, right? Hard to come up with many shelter+pad setups that compete with that on weight – let alone comfort.

You should send that pic and description to Grand Trunk!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Yes, that's pretty much the total weight. Add maybe another 2 oz for titanium skewer stakes and tarp guylines and that's it. This system does rely on you either having a ccf pad for the foot/lower leg area because of the shortened length underquilt, or some hangers will use their packs just like with ground sleepers who use torso length pads. I always have a ccf pad along for pack frame support/sit pad anyhow, so I didn't count that in the total, but in the interest of full disclosure …

I did post this photo with comments on the Grand Trunk Facebook page a couple months back. They were having a promo/contest, asking people to post there. I ended up getting another free Nano 7 from them for that post. :-)

BTW, I also have the Grand Trunk UL hammock, which is much roomier. That weighs in at 12oz total, with a similarly configured suspension. Lots of options available to dial in your comfort vs weight. There are also hammock bug netting solutions available for around 7.5 oz from Warbonnet.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

The discussion of hammocks has been quite useful, IMO, so I've started another G-Spot thread where ya'll can discuss the relative merits of hammocks, vs. Tarp/bivies, vs. tarptents.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools