Topic

Simmering ring on alcohal stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simmering ring on alcohal stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

Have been doing reading here about steam baking and it got me interested enough to realize that my TrailDesigns stove basically had two speeds; full tilt boogie or out of fuel. hmmmm. not so good for baking.

However, I was looking at the Packafeather stove and realizing that perhaps just adding an aluminum ring around my existing stove might tune it down… sure enough it did. I was up skiing this weekend and was testing gear at altitude anyways, so I took an empty Redbull can, and cut it up. Made two rings about 3/4 inch wide each. I placed those over the top of my stove, the two overlapping each other, and they allow for the stove openings to be blocked completely all the way up to half open. At fully blocked, I was able to get consistent 60-65 minute burn times from one ounce of fuel, very cool.

This also enabled me to steam cook my first batch of corn muffins today as a test. Can't wait to try this out on my next trips, I know my kids will love it! I'll try to post a couple photos if I can figure that out here!

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Got any pictures?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Brawney's Solution

simmer3

Look here for more information on simmering and baking.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I've taken to carrying two can stoves myself.. I've got one pressurized stove for full out boil, and one sort of penny hybrid design.

The hybrid stove has a 1/8th hole in the middle/depression area of the top, to fill with, and then six needle sized holes on the ring. Lit normally, it produces around a medium-low heat, great for light sauteing, drop a penny in the middle to cover the center, and it drops to a low simmer, great for finishing rice after boiling the water initially..

Best solution I've found yet personally.. A little extra weight, but no parts to lose, and real tunable combined with an adjustable windscreen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools