Topic

OA Trail Crew

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont OA Trail Crew

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

So I figured out today, I got accepted to OATC!! My trek begins June 22, now I really need to start looking into gear.

I'm really debating durablity with weight, for example rain pants. Do I go with the 1/2 lb pants that I could all but take a knife to, or get the 4 oz pants that I have to carry tape with them?

Conrad Stoll

@cnstoll

You definitely need rain pants, but plenty of people get by just fine with frog togs and things of that nature that tear easily. Usually the trails are pretty well kept, but that may not always be the case for you.

The thing to under stand about OATC is you will be doing a lot of trail work, and so think about what else you're taking as pants. Do you plan on ever wearing your rain pants while working? That could influence the decision quite a bit. A lot of scouts use their rain pants as their only pants, for things like cons projects, so if that describes you, then you may want the more durable ones.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools