Topic

Snow Peak 600 water level marks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Peak 600 water level marks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I just picked up a Snow Peak 600 Ti mug recently. Great mug but I noticed there weren't any measurement marks on it so I went searching to see what solutions folks might have come up with for marking their Ti mugs. After searching in vain for a while I thought I'd take a look to see what I might come up with. Well it turns out this mug is already marked quite well, at least mine is. It's the spot welds for the handle. They're so close to perfect it seems unlikely to be mere coincidence. Check it out:

The very bottom two welds mark one cup, the middle two welds mark 1.5 cups and the top two mark 2 cups (using the outer columns of welds, ignore the center column). OK, they're not QUITE perfect, but they're all within an ounce or so. Near as makes no difference in my book.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

G

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

That's pretty cool – I wish my MLD 850 pot had such convenient weld spots. Does anyone know how to mark a titanium pot?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I made *gentle* use of a center punch, making a couple dimples at the 1 & 2 cup levels. If you aren't handy with a center punch, something duller like a Philips screwdriver point might do the trick— you could punch a hole…. bad idea!

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I used a pair of scissors to scratch a mark on my Tibetan 900.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I pour 1 cup of water into the pot, mark the water line with a Sharpie, repeat for 1.5 C and 2 C (if it holds that much), then go to the basement and pull out the Dremmel tool and carefully 'erase' the Sharpie marks. This makes sweet incremental lines in the metal. If you are dextrous and a bit anal, you might even write "1, 1.5, and 2" next to each line.

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

I noticed the same thing with the msr titan kettle. I was trying to figure out how to mark it, and using a measuring cup each weld lined up perfectly with 1,2, and 3 cups. Sweet!

Hard to see at night though

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I did a MYOG tutorial for marking my BPL Firelite SUL pots. Let's see if I can post a link…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16329

Well, that will have to do. Oh, and use a thinner stick than I did. I had to allow for the volume displaced by the stick.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I put indentations on my SP600. Ti is hard so its very unlikely you'll punch a hole through. Based on my mini project I'd say you'd have to go out of your way to do any damage to the pot. My process:

1. Calculated volume for height of water in the pot in 2oz increments
    2. Mark height on a chopstick to check my calculations
    3. Mark height on the outside of the mug with a pencil
    4. Place a stick of wood in a vice cantilevered out so you can fit the SP600 onto it. This is the support you'll use to hammer in your volume marks so make it sturdy.
    5. Use a hammer, old chisel and center punch to mark the volume increments. I alternated with a dot (center punch) at the 2oz, line (chisel) at 4oz, etc.
    6. Enjoy.

Tip: Think about where you place your markings. I usually cook with the handles facing to the left so I put the marks 90 degrees opposite of the handles.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

I checked my SP 600 weld marks and the bottom middle marks 1 cup and the top 2 mark 2 cups. Didn't check for 1.5 cups but am definitely going to use them from now on. Thanks for the hint :)

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Quick question: What stove do you guys use with your SP 600s? I just switched from a mont bell 600 that's taller and skinnier to the SP 600 for the 'squatness' of it. I have an Evernew titanium stove but am not getting a boil for about 13 min or so.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

The middle set of outside dots are at about 12oz or 1 1/2 cups. I marked mine with a sharpie. I've converted to a caldera cone that fits the 600. The pepsican stove I built wasn't really optimized for the smaller cup and I like the sturdiness of the cone.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Pour water into your cup at different levels. Stare at each a bit each time. Makes for easy eyeballing when out in the field.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I tried staring but it didn't work, I blinked first.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Gordon…thanks SO much for sharing that info. The SNP 600 is my favorite mug but I have been using a heavier mug because it had markings.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools